Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante

TrailScot

This is a photo of the rather controversial large metal sign which is positioned at the top of the Hole-in-the-Rock Road, when you turn off from Highway 24, east of Escalante.

It does appear to confirm that the ongoing squabbles, between the County/State and BLM/NPS about the maintenance of this dirt road (and the wider impact of the National Monument itself), are far from being settled.

Perhaps it was coincidental, but the condition of the road last October was by far the worst I have encountered in over 15 years of visiting this area. When I enquired at the Visitor Center, they indicated that the increase in traffic due to a recent Marathon event, and the solar eclipse had adversely impacted the road surface.

Hopefully there will be a smoother ride in 2024 !​

DSC09945.jpg

Last edited:
Personally signs like these make me very happy. :lol:

But that's w/ minimal direct knowledge on my part and a bevy of assumptions about the situation.

My only trip down that road was also in October about a decade ago. Worst washboarding I've ever experienced....mile after mile of it! Longest 40 miles of my life.

Phone number is for the Kanab field office. They ought to have added the phone number for Garfield County Public Works department so they get to field calls about the road also.

To the opposite effect, there are signs near the start of the east-bound Burr Trail Road that talk about how it's a rough dirt road for the next 75 miles (or something similar), and then it's a perfect paved road most of the way and the dirt sections are often better than many paved roads.

To the opposite effect, there are signs near the start of the east-bound Burr Trail Road that talk about how it's a rough dirt road for the next 75 miles (or something similar), and then it's a perfect paved road most of the way and the dirt sections are often better than many paved roads.
I believe this is the one you're talking about.

Utah2021-340-L.jpg

They are saying it like it is.... Many dumb people see it on the internet and rent a pavement car and don't know how to drive on anything else. Then they complain to the state when the responsibility is the Feds... .. I'm fine with the sign.

Unsurprised by the passive aggressive messaging. Kane Co and Garfield Co jointly own upkeep of the road, but in the past at least Garfield has done it. IMO the worst part of the road is the washboard, which can be remediated by the grading, gravel, and/or slower speeds, none of which are prohibited allowed under current monument rules. The remnants of mud ruts are intermittent.

There was an Environmental Assessment scoping session announced for a major project to improve the first 16 miles of HTTR back in Oct 2017 (would end just a little before the Egypt TH turnoff). Original schedule from the FAQs below.

Trump downsized GSENM (and BENM) that Dec. I'm wondering if everything got put on hold because they had to rush to put out a new draft Resource Management Plan, then again recently when Biden restored the boundaries.

Screen Shot 2024-03-13 at 3.04.15 PM.png

It has been many years since i have traveled the Hole in the Rock Road, and It did a number on my Bronco's suspension. That road was ridiculous.
I don't think washboarding even that bad will keep anyone away from that road, people still want to go there. It just costs them money on repairs.

Reactions: Bob
It has been many years since i have traveled the Hole in the Rock Road, and It did a number on my Bronco's suspension. That road was ridiculous.
I don't think washboarding even that bad will keep anyone away from that road, people still want to go there. It just costs them money on repairs.
But they dont get as far when the street vehicle breaks down near the beginning