Hole in the Rock Base Camp

powderglut

In search of Fresh
Anyone have a decent spot out Hole in the Rock for a base camp? Would like to set up for 5-6 days and do some day hikes, and maybe a 2 niter in Coyote Gulch this spring (late April).. If you don't want to tell the world you can PM me. I've camped at Harris wash before but, I'm thinking there's gotta be something better. A spot with a few trees or some alcove. Appreciate any help.
Do you need to reserve dates if you're backpacking Coyote? or can you just go to the Escalante office and get a backcountry permit while you're there?

I know of a few excellent spots. I'll shoot you a PM.

Coyote Gulch is quite a bit more interesting than Harris Wash. Fortymile and Willow Gulch is an awesome trip too, I think I liked it better than Coyote.

No reservations needed for Coyote. They don't limit the number of permits. Also, you don't have to pickup your permit from the office. You can get it at any trailhead that has a register at it and you have to have it for the car camp nights too. I usually stop at the Escalante River trailhead on my way into town, or sometimes at Devils Garden. I believe all of the Coyote trailheads have the registers with self-serve permits.

Cool Nick! Thanks for all this info. I just got off the phone with the guy in Escalante. Basically told me what you just did. 12 people limit and register at a trailhead. I thought that it maybe got so popular, that they limited daily use. I promised a friend that I'd take them into Coyote this spring. I was last there 1979- 80. Want to see how much it's changed. LOL We plan on a day at Red Breaks, Zebra/Tunnel, maybe the non technical hike to Neon and the couple days in Coyote. Then head to the Sandhills for formations in Upper Buckskin, S Coyote and Whitepocket. Take about 2 weeks. I'll check out the Forty Mile, but it's been her dream to see Coyote Gulch , so It would be her call.

Back