Hole in the Rock Base Camp

powderglut

In search of Fresh
Anyone have a decent spot out Hole in the Rock for a base camp? Would like to set up for 5-6 days and do some day hikes, and maybe a 2 niter in Coyote Gulch this spring (late April).. If you don't want to tell the world you can PM me. I've camped at Harris wash before but, I'm thinking there's gotta be something better. A spot with a few trees or some alcove. Appreciate any help.
Do you need to reserve dates if you're backpacking Coyote? or can you just go to the Escalante office and get a backcountry permit while you're there?

I know of a few excellent spots. I'll shoot you a PM.

Coyote Gulch is quite a bit more interesting than Harris Wash. Fortymile and Willow Gulch is an awesome trip too, I think I liked it better than Coyote.

No reservations needed for Coyote. They don't limit the number of permits. Also, you don't have to pickup your permit from the office. You can get it at any trailhead that has a register at it and you have to have it for the car camp nights too. I usually stop at the Escalante River trailhead on my way into town, or sometimes at Devils Garden. I believe all of the Coyote trailheads have the registers with self-serve permits.

Cool Nick! Thanks for all this info. I just got off the phone with the guy in Escalante. Basically told me what you just did. 12 people limit and register at a trailhead. I thought that it maybe got so popular, that they limited daily use. I promised a friend that I'd take them into Coyote this spring. I was last there 1979- 80. Want to see how much it's changed. LOL We plan on a day at Red Breaks, Zebra/Tunnel, maybe the non technical hike to Neon and the couple days in Coyote. Then head to the Sandhills for formations in Upper Buckskin, S Coyote and Whitepocket. Take about 2 weeks. I'll check out the Forty Mile, but it's been her dream to see Coyote Gulch , so It would be her call.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
XID_AZ Willow Gulch from Hole in the Rock Trip Planning 4
F Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road General Discussion 4
T Status of Traffic - Hole in the rock road - Escalante - September? Trip Planning 2
Strawsome What is your favorite hike in the Escalante/Hole in the rock road area? General Discussion 6
Jimmy Hole in the Rock Car Camping Trip Planning 0
G Hole in the Rock Hitchhiking Trip Planning 6
Nick Hole-in-the-Rock State Park? General Discussion 18
powderglut 1981 Hole In The Rock Canoe Adventure On The Water 24
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Rock Creek Lake-Hells Hole Hiking & Camping 2
WasatchWill Backpacking Hole In the Rock Trail Trip Planning 21
F Hole in the Rock Road Conditions General Discussion 7
M Hole in the Rock in Early June Trip Planning 1
steve Planning a packrafting trip to Hole in the Rock Trail - April 10-12 Meet Up (Members Only) 74
WillisBodillus Hole-in-the-Rock Road General Discussion 13
powderglut Hole in the Rock Road to be paved? General Discussion 48
IntrepidXJ Hole in the Rock Area Recreation Study to Kick Off General Discussion 1
AustinCronnelly Hole in the Rock Road - May '12 Hiking & Camping 5
Nurrgle Car Camping Spots along Hole in the Rock Trip Planning 4
Nick Hole-in-the-Rock and Bighorn Canyon, Escalante Hiking & Camping 14
NateGeesaman Hole in the Rock Road Trip Planning 9
LarryBoy Is there anything technical in White Canyon above the Black Hole? Trip Planning 16
ram Black Hole 1-1-22 Canyoneering 1
Stephanie B Lockhart Road and Bobby's Hole Trip Planning 7
Titans Rick’s Recovery : Paw Hole Sand trap, winch to the rescue! My Lizzy moment, ha…. General Discussion 24
RyanP road from Hite to Water Hole Flat Trip Planning 20
McKee80 Shenandoah - Old Fat Guy in a Swimming Hole Backpacking 6
ram Black Hole 1-1-20 Canyoneering 4
NorthwestWanderer Olympic Peninsula - Rialto Beach / Hole in the Wall / & 2 Bonus Waterfalls Hiking & Camping 6
ram Black Hole 1-1-19 Canyoneering 9
Brian Skibbe Teton Wilderness, GTNP, Jackson Hole 2017 Hiking & Camping 8
regehr 9 dead, boy missing in flash flood in Arizona swim hole General Discussion 1
r3biker Jones Hole in Dinosaur National Monument Backpacking 4
D Coyote Buttes South Paw Hole or Cottonwood Cove (or both) Trip Planning 3
Absarokanaut Jackson Hole Mt. Resort Closed Until Further Notice General Discussion 4
George_Washington_Hayduke Clearwater Canyon, Black Hole of White Canyon, Dark Canyon, Swett Canyon "Packraftoneering" Canyoneering 6
ram January 1st 2017- Black Hole Canyoneering 0
chandlerwest South Coyote Buttes - Paw Hole Hiking & Camping 13
Dave Hell Hole Lake, August 2015 Backpacking 6
IntrepidXJ Little Hole Hiking & Camping 3
Tye Dye Twins TRIBAL in action! The Jackson Hole Film!! Winter Sports 14
hatchcanyon Jackson Hole Off Road 8
scatman Sevenmile Hole - YNP - June 11, 2014 Backpacking 5
scatman Sevenmile Hole - YNP Trip Planning 14
Udink Thompson Hole Hiking & Camping 5
Bill Hell's Hole 2012 General Discussion 9
Bill Zion Swimming Hole General Discussion 4
Nurrgle Hole in the tire road! General Discussion 6
Yvonne How can I fix a hole in the bottom of my daypack? Gear 9
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10