Snowshoe/Backpacking in Nederland

kimbur96

I got to go on a very fun overnight snowshoe/backing trip in Nederland, CO. It was only a mile or two into the site. No fresh snow but plenty of old snow. Great group and a perfect environment to learn more about winter camping.
IMG_5668.jpg
IMG_5667.jpg
IMG_5683.jpg

I built a DIY pulk sled to bring my gear in. It worked great. There is one small tweak I will make to it. Right now th poles can't be disconnected, pretty inconvenient when putting it in the car. So I will add some loops and binners at the sled so I can disconnect the poles.
IMG_5675.jpg
16649368_10208112599800377_7764151322739819629_n.jpg

The others suggested digging pit to stand in, and a shelf for your kitchen. I added a seat with a cushion to protect me from the snow.
IMG_5701.jpg
after my stove freezing to the ground on my last winter trip I took a piece of cardboard and covered it with aluminum foil for a base. It worked great. I also decorated my kitchen :)
IMG_5718.jpg
Home sweet home
IMG_5700.jpg
The guys in the group dug an awesome snow fire pit. I had no idea the snow was that deep!!
IMG_5710.jpg
Morning coffee in the snow fire pit ...happy girl!!!16807001_10210850794278996_2613566651842511696_n.jpg
The fire pit in action at night. 16836700_10211266045347575_4272114515501927597_o.jpg
It was an great trip. I learned a lot and had fun. what more can you ask for. Temps were very mild. 38/25F

Last edited:
That looks like a lot of fun. I think I will show my wife this report to convince her that winter camping isn't some kind of masochistic death wish.

Great adventure, don't see too many people winter camping. Fire pit can double as a snowpit to test avy conditions. Keep em coming Kimbur!!

Robert Plant always goes to the bar there when he's in Colorado. Zep, Elton john, lots of great records made there.

You're really taking to the mountains young lady. Hike on.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
kwc Short Snowshoe Hike today, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
Yvonne First snowshoe trip to Kolob Terrace, November 30 Winter Sports 14
zionsky Snowshoe Rental in Zion Gear 2
Ugly Silver Lake Flat Snowshoe Winter Sports 10
Wanderlust073 St Mary's Glacier snowshoe Winter Sports 13
swmalone Snowshoe Suggestions Gear 12
Jackson Rock Canyon Snowshoe Winter Sports 3
kimbur96 Lost Lake Snowshoe Winter Sports 5
kimbur96 Final day of snowshoe class, Field trip. Winter Sports 5
Perry Snowshoe Break In General Discussion 0
Perry Sweet Snowshoe Deal at Recreation Outlet General Discussion 5
Perry First Snowshoe Experience - Bi-centennial trail, North Fork Park General Discussion 11
Bob Wire Quick snowshoe trip General Discussion 4
blueeyes Winter Snowshoe Mount Baird, ID April 23-24 2016 Backpacking 10
Bob Fat Bike / Snowshoe Race Volunteering General Discussion 2
Bob Wire Absaroka Snowshoe Hiking & Camping 5
Jackson Y Mountain Snowshoe Winter Sports 8
TannerT Deuel Creek Snowshoe 20151219 Winter Sports 2
JimmyW Season's first snowshoe trip in the Elkhorns Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ Arch Slough Snowshoe Winter Sports 3
steve Invite last-minute snowshoe camping up AF Canyon. Jan 31-Feb1 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
B 3P Backpacking Tent Recommendation and Nemo Aurora feedback Gear 3
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
J Backpacking in the UK Backpacking 1
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
forest dweller What do you think are the most essential nutrients while backpacking? General Discussion 17
B 2P Backpacking Tent Recommendation Gear 17
forest dweller Favorite backpacking foods...convenient, easy, delicious, nutritious? General Discussion 20
forest dweller You guys keep a backpacking gear checklist in Microsoft Word you don't mind sharing? General Discussion 13
forest dweller I have tons of backpacking food past it's expired by date... General Discussion 10
maisweh Backpacking Maze - Please Critique Trip Planning 11
DrNed Backpacking Light Memberships Resource Discussions 6
ANelson Backpacking with a 600MM Lens General Discussion 13
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
mikejones3 New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App Gear 0
R Backpacking in the Pacific Northwest Trip Planning 7
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
norwegianxplorer 6 days Backpacking Norway in the Fall (Part 2) Backpacking 4
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
norwegianxplorer 6 days backpacking Jotunheimen in the fall Trip Reports 4
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5
kwc Backpacking on the Northville Placid Trail (NPT) Backpacking 13
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
SeanIsADesertRat Old guys backpacking in Dark Canyon Backpacking 17
norwegianxplorer Backpacking the Lofoten archipelago in arctic Norway Backpacking 6
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0