Absaroka Snowshoe

Bob Wire

Took a day yesterday to get into the Absaroka Mtns for a snowshoe yesterday. Great weather at 32 degrees and totally calm

Starting out on the trail. We had 3" of new snow at the bottom and about a foot at the summit. Photos are from Mill Creek.

IMG_0291.jpg

getting the first look at Mt Cowan and neighbors

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

The view to the south for lunch was spectacular

IMG_0312 (1).jpg

closeup

IMG_0312 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 32
That's beautiful. Where were you in the Absarokas? I know you named a few peaks, but maybe you could give a bigger hint? Thanks.

Pringles

That's beautiful. Where were you in the Absarokas? I know you named a few peaks, but maybe you could give a bigger hint? Thanks.

Pringles
In the winter and for short trips I mostly go up Mill Creek, Deep Creek and 6 Mile Creek because they are close to home in Livingston. When I get the chance I go to Mammoth C.G just inside the park (heated bathrooms for winter!) and work the trails south of the Cooke City highway for x/country skiing and snowshoeing

Some examples

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

and in the spring

IMG_0969.jpg

Thanks. I drove in the Absarokas yesterday, on the South Fork, outside of Cody. Just wondering how close we were. Beautiful places.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023 Backpacking 23
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka Loop (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - August 2021 Backpacking 8
BackpackingtheSierras Republic Pass Trail North Absaroka into Yellowstone Cache Creek and Lamar River Trip Planning 1
W Absaroka Beartooth near Yellowstone Trip Planning 3
Georgia Yankee Absaroka miscalculation: “You thought I would enjoy this??" Backpacking 14
K The Thorofare and the Absaroka Wilderness Backpacking 9
P Elk and the Absaroka General Discussion 1
Joey 7 Day Yellowstone, Slough Creek, Hellroaring, Absaroka Beartooth Loop Backpacking 21
Bryan Harwood Absaroka- Beartooth Wilderness: 6 Trips July-Sep. 2015 Backpacking 12
Joey Teton Wilderness, Absaroka's, Brooks Lake, Cub Creek Backpack Loop Backpacking 12
kwc Short Snowshoe Hike today, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
Yvonne First snowshoe trip to Kolob Terrace, November 30 Winter Sports 14
zionsky Snowshoe Rental in Zion Gear 2
Ugly Silver Lake Flat Snowshoe Winter Sports 10
Wanderlust073 St Mary's Glacier snowshoe Winter Sports 13
swmalone Snowshoe Suggestions Gear 12
kimbur96 Snowshoe/Backpacking in Nederland Winter Sports 8
Jackson Rock Canyon Snowshoe Winter Sports 3
kimbur96 Lost Lake Snowshoe Winter Sports 5
kimbur96 Final day of snowshoe class, Field trip. Winter Sports 5
Perry Snowshoe Break In General Discussion 0
Perry Sweet Snowshoe Deal at Recreation Outlet General Discussion 5
Perry First Snowshoe Experience - Bi-centennial trail, North Fork Park General Discussion 11
Bob Wire Quick snowshoe trip General Discussion 4
blueeyes Winter Snowshoe Mount Baird, ID April 23-24 2016 Backpacking 10
Bob Fat Bike / Snowshoe Race Volunteering General Discussion 2
Jackson Y Mountain Snowshoe Winter Sports 8
TannerT Deuel Creek Snowshoe 20151219 Winter Sports 2
JimmyW Season's first snowshoe trip in the Elkhorns Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ Arch Slough Snowshoe Winter Sports 3
steve Invite last-minute snowshoe camping up AF Canyon. Jan 31-Feb1 Meet Up (Members Only) 0