Silver Lake Flat Snowshoe

Ugly

Life really is better Here
Last night, after work I took off with a couple of coworkers to go for an evening hike and snowshoe.
The Wednesday night hike a couple times a month is becoming a real thing. What a great way to break up the week.

We parked at Tibblefork, hiked a little bit of the road and then cut up the trail to Silver Lake Flat.

As it was dark, we used the road on the way down, it was like a half mile or so longer, but varied the scenery and had some great open views. We saw one person on the trail and no snowmobiles. On the way down we did not use headlamps and just enjoyed the reflected city light from over the top of Timp and Box Elder.

The only noise on the way up was our talking. On the way down it was a few blissful miles with only the hypnotic crashing of our MSR's on the slick, snowpacked road and the aroma of a skunk wafting about... unless that was one of my coworkers.

It was a great time that we finished off with tacos al pastor at about 9pm.

Given the time of day and that it was overcast, picture opportunities were few.

Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180002-proc.jpg

Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180003-proc.jpg

Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180009.jpg

Timp does not need anything special to stand out.
Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180015-proc.jpg

Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180017-proc.jpg

Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180020.jpg

A few brief moments of color.
Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180032-proc.jpg

This cloud is worth the love of some noisy pics.
Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180040-nr.jpg

Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180045-bw nr.jpg

nice pictures, looks like a good time.

Great photos Ugly! I agree with @Vegan.Hiker they have a great moodiness to them. I especially like the first one. Did you apply any special filters?

Great photos Ugly! I agree with @Vegan.Hiker they have a great moodiness to them. I especially like the first one. Did you apply any special filters?

I did use procontrast amongst the Nik tools and just left the color temp a little warmer.

I guess because they were occurring after a day at work I did want a little moodiness to them!

Reactions: Ben
Timp. Beautiful Timp. It just doesn't look like it belongs in the Wasatch or other Utah ranges. I'm glad we have have it though. Those angles from its eastern back side always make it look like something that would better fit in with mountains found in Colorado, or Montana.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ugly Two Kids and Two Nights at Silver Lake Backpacking 3
Ugly Second Glances at Silver Lake Backpacking 14
Devin Ashby Silver Glance Lake - American Fork Canyon Backpacking 7
WasatchWill Daddy-Daughter to Silver Lake Backpacking 9
andyjaggy Silver Glance Lake Backpacking 9
Tyler Silver Lake July 2009 Hiking & Camping 0
Rockskipper Anyone feel this? 4.2 near Silver Gate General Discussion 4
T Harris Wash/Silver Falls/Choprock/Fence Canyon Loop MLK weekend 2022 Backpacking 8
ram Silver Star Mt. Backpacking 13
Joey Silver Falls, Choprock Canyon, Neon Canyon, Escalante River Loop Backpacking 38
regehr Silver Island Canyon Road Hiking & Camping 2
Joey Invite Silver Falls, Choprock, Escalante Loop March 27th -30th Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Tye Dye Twins Silver Fork Ski Tour (12-5) Winter Sports 2
steve Invite July 25-26 Utah County Overnighter - Dry Fork to Horsetail Falls to Box Elder Peak to Silver L Flats Meet Up (Members Only) 4
uintahiker Trail of Ten Falls- Silver Falls State Park, Oregon Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Grebe Lake - September 4th through the 6th, 2024 Meet Up (Members Only) 10
K How long in Lake Bled? Trip Planning 1
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
Ugly Two Popular Lake Basins in the Cascades Backpacking 12
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
TrektheWorld Red Deer Lake & Beyond Backpacking 10
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 15
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
kwc Limekiln Lake paddle On The Water 0
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman, Crescent, Shelf Lake Backpacking 11
Bob The Thorofare to Brooks Lake - 9 Days in Pictures Backpacking 10
Janice Lizard Head Plateau - overlook Upper Cathedral Lake? Trip Planning 15
uintafly Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Trip Planning 0
DrNed Naturalist Basin: Blue Lake to Shaler Lake? Trip Planning 12
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake Trip Planning 14
kwc Jockeybush Lake- southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
Ross Any Lake Powell experts who can advice on changed conditions at dramatically new lake levels? Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
kwc Round Lake, north central Adirondacks, in the Round Lake Wilderness On The Water 2
Jackson Heart Lake and Snake River for Labor Day Backpacking 23
scatman Pacific Creek, Moss Lake and Gravel Lake - Teton Wilderness - October 7, 2022 Backpacking 32
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
balzaccom Obata Lake...xc in Yosemite Backpacking 0
scatman Grizzly Lake - September 7, 2022 Backpacking 31
P Yellowstone, one night by a lake Backpacking 19