Silver Lake Flat Snowshoe

Ugly

Life really is better Here
Last night, after work I took off with a couple of coworkers to go for an evening hike and snowshoe.
The Wednesday night hike a couple times a month is becoming a real thing. What a great way to break up the week.

We parked at Tibblefork, hiked a little bit of the road and then cut up the trail to Silver Lake Flat.

As it was dark, we used the road on the way down, it was like a half mile or so longer, but varied the scenery and had some great open views. We saw one person on the trail and no snowmobiles. On the way down we did not use headlamps and just enjoyed the reflected city light from over the top of Timp and Box Elder.

The only noise on the way up was our talking. On the way down it was a few blissful miles with only the hypnotic crashing of our MSR's on the slick, snowpacked road and the aroma of a skunk wafting about... unless that was one of my coworkers.

It was a great time that we finished off with tacos al pastor at about 9pm.

Given the time of day and that it was overcast, picture opportunities were few.

Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180002-proc.jpg

Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180003-proc.jpg

Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180009.jpg

Timp does not need anything special to stand out.
Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180015-proc.jpg

Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180017-proc.jpg

Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180020.jpg

A few brief moments of color.
Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180032-proc.jpg

This cloud is worth the love of some noisy pics.
Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180040-nr.jpg

Silver Lake Flat 3-7-180045-bw nr.jpg

Ben

nice pictures, looks like a good time.

Artemus

I walk
Great photos Ugly! I agree with @Vegan.Hiker they have a great moodiness to them. I especially like the first one. Did you apply any special filters?

Ugly

Life really is better Here
Great photos Ugly! I agree with @Vegan.Hiker they have a great moodiness to them. I especially like the first one. Did you apply any special filters?

I did use procontrast amongst the Nik tools and just left the color temp a little warmer.

I guess because they were occurring after a day at work I did want a little moodiness to them!

Reactions: Ben

WasatchWill

Ready For More
Timp. Beautiful Timp. It just doesn't look like it belongs in the Wasatch or other Utah ranges. I'm glad we have have it though. Those angles from its eastern back side always make it look like something that would better fit in with mountains found in Colorado, or Montana.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ugly Two Kids and Two Nights at Silver Lake Backpacking 3
Ugly Second Glances at Silver Lake Backpacking 14
Devin Ashby Silver Glance Lake - American Fork Canyon Backpacking 7
WasatchWill Daddy-Daughter to Silver Lake Backpacking 9
andyjaggy Silver Glance Lake Backpacking 9
Tyler Silver Lake July 2009 Hiking & Camping 0
ram Silver Star Mt. Backpacking 13
Joey Silver Falls, Choprock Canyon, Neon Canyon, Escalante River Loop Backpacking 37
regehr Silver Island Canyon Road Hiking & Camping 2
Joey Invite Silver Falls, Choprock, Escalante Loop March 27th -30th Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Tye Dye Twins Silver Fork Ski Tour (12-5) Winter Sports 2
steve Invite July 25-26 Utah County Overnighter - Dry Fork to Horsetail Falls to Box Elder Peak to Silver L Flats Meet Up (Members Only) 4
uintahiker Trail of Ten Falls- Silver Falls State Park, Oregon Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Winter Hike into Broomstick Lake 1/13/21 Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Jockeybush Lake in the Winter Hiking & Camping 8
D Coyote Gulch to Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
Tomaswmitchell Cuberant Lake hike, Bigfoot tracks? Video Hiking & Camping 2
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Heart Lake -- September 14-17 2020 Backpacking 30
norwegianxplorer Summiting Mount Whitney from Guitar Lake, 6 Days backpacking the Sierra before the Creek Fire closed everything down. Backpacking 5
Perry Teal Lake Lollipop Over Night Trip Backpacking 21
kwc Murphy Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
Titans Pharaoh Lake Wilderness- some much needed Vitamin W Hiking & Camping 5
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
Jammer Sequoia: Upper Kern and Lake South America Backpacking 12
Born to Hike 85 miles on the Uinta Highline Trail including Crater Lake and a Dinosaur: July 26 - Aug 1, 2020 Backpacking 33
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Okanogan National Forest : Copper Glance Lake & failed attempt at No Dice Lake Backpacking 2
Curt Visiting (Part of) the Lake District of Cloud Peak Wilderness Backpacking 15
scatman Bourbon Lake, Uintas - July 11, 2020 Hiking & Camping 4
NorthwestWanderer Overnight Backpack to Louis Lake, Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness Backpacking 4
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
Perry Last Minute Over Nighter to Packard Lake Backpacking 13
Born to Hike Early June 3-day jaunt on the Uinta Highline Trail: Naturalist Basin, Pinto Lake, Margo Lake Backpacking 8
Matt Van Natta HELP: Wind River Range, Baker Lake to Green River Lakes Trip Planning 6
U Just picked up a permit for Shelf Lake 2 nights in Mid/Late July. Any ideas for a day hike/summit from there? Trip Planning 0
Perry 5.7 mag Earthquake in Salt Lake City Area - Check in Here to Let Us Know You're Okay General Discussion 44
WasatchWill A Night at Notch Lake Backpacking 10
Yvonne Day Hike to Cache Lake, Yellowstone NP, August 2019 Hiking & Camping 6
J Lake Mead Natl Recreation Area North Shore scramble fun. Nov. 28-30, 2019 Hiking & Camping 5
hikeer Beartooths - Island Lake to the Beaten Path Backpacking 18
BJett The Grotto of Grayson Lake. Kentucky. On The Water 7
P Ribbon Lake, Yellowstone Backpacking 6
P Heart Lake, Yellowstone Backpacking 13
westy Lake Mead NRA Hiking & Camping 0
Born to Hike Mountain Solitude: Reconnaissance Lake, High Uintas, early Sept 2019 Backpacking 9
P Goose Lake weekend Backpacking 10
scatman Grebe Lake, Headwaters of Lava Creek and Observation Peak, Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2019 Backpacking 7
NorthwestWanderer Chelan-Sawtooth Range : Sunrise to Cooney Lake Loop Backpacking 3
tomcat32 Backpacking the Cranberry Lake 50 (Adirondacks) Backpacking 6
TeamJenkins17 Yellowstone Thorofare to Brooks lake trip next year. Trip Planning 6
Ross FACE CANYON: What lake level starts filling the slot? Trip Planning 0