Season's first snowshoe trip in the Elkhorns

JimmyW

I took advantage of a recent snowstorm in the mountains and a nice day to do a little snowshoeing. It's a time of year where you can end up in mixed conditions, with stretches of snow followed by bare ground. The Elkhorns, however, which are just a few miles outside of Helena, tend to trap moisture and an abundance of snow. Hence, I can leave on my snowshoes all day. I took the Crystal Creek trail and went over to Jackson Creek. I would have went further than the 2+ miles, but it was a little too nice today, and the balmy weather made the snow very sticky. My wife and I were married in the Elkhorns up McClellan Creek. The ceremony was officiated by a good friend about 1/2 mile from the trailhead.

This is view heading up the trail. The pointy peak off to the right is Case Peak, home to an old fire tower. It sits at about 8,400', and my avatar shows me at the site. All the foot traffic on the trail is from hunters, as we're just into big game season.
DSC00062.jpg

The next shot looks west, toward the Continental Divide. The roundish peak on the right horizon is Red Mountain, near Rimini, MT. The peak with the three humps on the left is appropriately named Three Brothers. They're a little tough to see.

DSC00064.jpg

This is shot of the Jackson Creek drainage on the ridge from which I head down.
DSC00066.jpg

I'm looking downward toward the log footbridge over Jackson Creek. If memory serves, this was the spot where I first out my arm around my wife's shoulders before we were married. DSC00065.jpg
This shot looks northwest toward Helena. You can see how dry the valley floor remains.
DSC00061.jpg

This is another shot of Red Mountain and Three Brothers.
DSC00067.jpg
For those who use a variety of snowshoes, I'll pass on one of my favorites: Yowies. They're made in Australia and are solid plastic, but very light. They're great in light to moderate snow, especially when it's packed. Plus, it's easy to strap them to the back of your pack. I save my larger Tubbs shoes for deep powder. Here's a pic.
DSC00068.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Nice report. Was wondering the same thing about the snowshoes, can we get a shot at the bottoms?

Nice report. Was wondering the same thing about the snowshoes, can we get a shot at the bottoms?
I attached a pic. The cleats provide decent traction, but like all snowshoes, the bottoms can pack with snow in wet stuff. The shows provide support in moderate snow, at least for me (145#). I have a small fabric bag in which I can strap them to the back of a pack. They're great for off-trail because of their size. I didn't find them available online. Note that they strap to your boots, so there is no hinge.
IMG_20151110_074906436.jpg

Nice TR! I was actually contemplating dragging my ancient Rossi Haute Route's out last week-better than a foot of snow at the house and more up the mountain. There was still 6" yesterday and now there's 3 to 4" on new on that. Don't think we will be seeing bare ground again until April.

Great! First one out in the white stuff publishing here this season, no?

Nice TR! I was actually contemplating dragging my ancient Rossi Haute Route's out last week-better than a foot of snow at the house and more up the mountain.

@John Goering ! I skied the same skis. In fact I skied the Haute Route's across the Sierra Haute Route many years ago (60 miles in 5 days) which was modeled after the Haute Route in the Alps. I loved those skis :)