Catch a free Season Pass to The Canyons

Nick

-
The Canyons is giving away a free season pass to the first to catch a 4 lb Rainbow they stocked into Alpine Lake. :)

http://canyonsresortblog.com/catch-a-season-pass/

Two days ago, we dropped 200 additional Tiger Trout in Alpine Lake. Not because we needed to. But because we wanted to. However, this time there’s a catch (no pun intended). The Tiger Trout will not be the only fish calling Alpine Lake home. There’s also one 4lb Rainbow Trout taking up residence. Catch this beauty and you become the proud new owner of a Canyons Resort season pass. I’m no mathmatician, but I’m pretty sure whatever monetary value you place on your time still comes in below the cost of a season pass. If not, you should probably reevaluate how much your time is worth to you. With that in mind, make your way to Alpine Lake, rent some gear and get to work catching yourself a season pass.

rainbowweb-576x426.jpeg

Me and the family went up on Saturday. Ton of fun - here's the hike up (see below).

We had 20 mins to catch something before 5:00 pm, when the on-duty attendant leaves and nothing you catch counts anymore. But I can attest that there are a TON of fish up there. The attendant, when he left at 5 pm, gave us the fish food to feed them, and they were going after it!

Also note that if you hike up, the gondola ride back down is FREE.

GPS of the hike: http://bit.ly/NSjun8

Now I just wish I knew how to catch a fish!

Just a tip for anyone interested in catching this rainbow trout. Your best bet would be to use powerbait or salmon eggs. The reason being is that rainbow trout in general eat a lot of row(fish eggs). Powerbait is made to smell/taste like row. That's why all the powerbait fishers usually catch rainbows and the people using spinners and flies will catch more brookies and tigers. I'm not saying you can't catch a rainbow on a fly or spinner, just that if you use powerbait you are more likely to catch a rainbow than a brookie or tiger.

Here's the info and rules on catching the Rainbow BTW:
The reservoir at Canyons Resort has been stocked with 500, 10-18 inch Tiger Trout, one of Utah's most popular trout species.

Do you have your own gear? Perfect! Come up and cast a line. Never been fishing? No worries! We offer rental gear to get you all set for your first fishing experience. Rental gear can be found at the mid-mountain Adventure Center at the top of Red Pine Gondola.

Note that 3:00pm is the latest time that equipment can be rented.
Red Pine Gondola tickets can be purchased at Canyon Mountain Sports in the Resort Village.
Notes:
1. Fishing is catch and release.
2. Barbless hooks only.
3. No worms. Artificial lures or flies only.

What kind of setup should I be using to try to catch the rainbow (pole/line/lure) if I could use powerbait?

What kind of setup should I be using to try to catch the rainbow (pole/line/lure) if I could use powerbait?

You could fish it 2 ways. 1. Put a bobber about 6-7ft above you hook. Cast out and watch your bobber. 2. Put some sinkers about a foot above your hook and fish right on the bottom. I would try the bottom first and if you don't have any luck switch to the bobber method.

Is that with just a hook baited? Doesn't the baited hook also sink to the bottom, and is that OK?

What size hook would you use for the fish pictured above?

What if PowerBait/salmon eggs aren't allowed? What's the next option?

Is that with just a hook baited? Doesn't the baited hook also sink to the bottom, and is that OK?

What size hook would you use for the fish pictured above?

What if PowerBait/salmon eggs aren't allowed? What's the next option?
Powerbait and salmon eggs don't sink very well so I would put some sinkers just up from the hook. If they don't allow powerbait get some of those rubber worms and get some "flavoring" spray and spray it on them. Look for "row" flavoring. Bait hooks usually have barbs on them so you will either have to crimp the barbs or file them down or get barbless hooks. Fish the rubber worms the same way as the powerbait and salmon eggs.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Thanks a ton for the help! If I catch it I owe one big time!

That was a response to me, right? I tried PowerBait when I was up there, but I'm sure I wasn't doing things right with getting it to float or getting it to the (almost) bottom. Now I'm better prepared, but just need to find time to make it up there again.

Salmon-egg flavored PowerBait FTW!

That was a response to me, right? I tried PowerBait when I was up there, but I'm sure I wasn't doing things right with getting it to float or getting it to the (almost) bottom. Now I'm better prepared, but just need to find time to make it up there again.

Salmon-egg flavored PowerBait FTW!

Did you catch anything on the PB?

No - I didn't catch anything .. yet. I'm going to find time and head up there again soon. Perhaps on Sat.