What do you think are the most essential nutrients while backpacking?

What do you think are the most essential nutrients while backpacking?

And what specific foods give you them?

I mean, besides coffee! ; )

Bare in mind I hate all fish!

I've contemplated doing a 9 day trip with 18 pounds of RXBARS!!!

I don't worry about nutrition for a 2 week trip. If you eat reasonably well the other 50 weeks, nothing you do food wise will kill you on a backpacking trip.

With that said, I try to have some fats, protein, carbs through out the day. I'd go with just Peanut M&Ms and raisins for the whole trip over RXBars :)

Depending on how serious you are, GearSkeptic has an gigantic(bordering on navelgazing) video series on this:

Obviously not all calories are created equal. If that were the case, we'd just load up with sticks of butter or lard, with fats running at approx. 4,000 calories per pound. Very efficient, that. Carbs are easy to find, and often inexpensive, and definitely meet or satisfy the quick-energy boost requirements. Backpacking can be grueling, no doubt about it.

I doubt it's much of a factor for hard core hikers who regularly hit the trails and are already in excellent physical shape, though one thing I picked up eventually, after performing any sort of heavy exertion, good quality protein in adequate (large) amounts has a very noticeable effect on how I will feel the next day after picking 'em up and putting 'em down. Junk food is not your friend here. Has to do with muscle recovery I expect. I didn't grok this at all as a novice backpacker, I just pitched a bunch of food in the main compartment and gave it the ole hairy eyeball "Yeah, that oughtta do for a week or so". And it did, mostly. Don't misunderstand, carbs are important when backpacking, in a way that aren't even necessary at home, sitting behind a desk, or watching TV or whatever.

But I noticed I was also bouncing off the walls by day 3 or 4. High carbohydrate junk foods or candy will never satisfy or satiate the way a proper mix of carbs, fats and protein will, they simply make the blood glucose level do the roller coaster thing, triggering the hunger for more carbs. There's also a school of thought that suggests avoiding large changes in diet from ordinary city life to trail, it tends to cause "gut issues" shall we say. I suppose a certain amount of that is inevitable, but it is something to try and minimize. Concentrated, high calorie food is also lacking in bulk or fiber. Nobody gains weight on a backpacking trip, but don't look at it as an excuse to eat junk.

actually never have worried about it in over twenty yesrs.

Unless on an extended thru hike wouldn't be overly concerned. Many have to be careful about saturated fat or other specific diet restrictions. Otherwise, increase electrolytes, bring normal/balanced food you want to eat and know won't cause issues. Carbs for energy, protein for recovery, fat for taste, caloric density.
There's also a school of thought that suggests avoiding large changes in diet from ordinary city life to trail, it tends to cause "gut issues" shall we say.
I've certainly found that to be the case! Still don't have it perfect.

Last edited:
Unless on an extended thru hike wouldn't be overly concerned. Many have to be careful about saturated fat or other specific diet restrictions. Otherwise, increase electrolytes, bring normal/balanced food you want to eat and know won't cause issues. Carbs for energy, protein for recovery, fat for taste, caloric density.

I've certainly found that to be the case! Still don't have it perfect.
This is pretty spot on IMO

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Yep--I'm with the majority here. I eat enough that I don't feel too hungry, but it's a mix of all kinds of foods, includine those freeze dried dinners. I eat healthy the rest of the year, so the time I'm on the trail, I just try to keep myself fed. And hydrated. I agree that elecctrolytes can be more of an issue, particularly on a warm day.

Another question....How much food in weight should you carry per day? I've heard a pound and a half and I've heard 2 pounds. In the past it seems I've always come out with some food...sometimes a bit. This can be a not insignificant 4.5 pounds on a 9 day trip if a pound and a half is sufficient.

for me, 1.5 lbs/day is enough for anything but the most strenuous trip. a little less is fine too, I often aim for 1.4

(I'm 50, but this amount has worked for me for at least the last 15 years. I'm about 190 lbs)

Last edited:
for me, 1.5 lbs/day is enough for anything but the most strenuous trip.
That's pretty good! I aim for 2500-3000 cal/d, but weight goes up for me since I have to reduce sat fat. and have mild nut allergies. Some past trips where I discarded that my snacks/desserts look like this:
IMG_0178_Large.JPG

Made my total calorie goal though!

I aim for a little less than 1.5 lb/day with the caveat that I pay attention to calories/oz (like build a spreadsheet for a long trip) that gives me about 2500 calories/day. I also have done a number of trips over the years where I payed a lot of attention to how much food I carried in and carried out. An easy supplement is olive oil. I usually carry 4oz of EVOO and add a little to each dinner, doesn't weigh much and is 1000 calories. A little bit extra fat a night helps start the next day.

Long story short, there is no "right" amount, it depends on the person and the food they carry. But, 1.5lb/day is probably a good starting point for most people and food choices.

In addition to all the good info above, I can offer a few specifics:

1) If you're not already doing this, I recommend doing some training hikes with loaded pack (fake weight fine instead of real stuff) and see what trail food feels right to you. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I can't do a big lunch, so I need lots of smaller amounts throughout the day. Testing this in advance can be helpful if you're not already sure.

2) I love energy chews and find them incredibly helpful, especially if I'm feeling low but am approaching or in the middle of a big uphill. I can't digest and exert at the same time, so eating regular food then wouldn't work and I have a couple chews instead. My favs are these Honey Stingers.

3) I cramp easily, so in addition to hydrating I typically bring banana chips or even better the super yummy dried baby bananas from Trader Joe's. Maybe the potassium isn't as helpful as I think it is, but I eat a little bit each day just in case. Plus I love sweet stuff, and these are sweet!