Getting back into hiking

r3biker

In my teens I did all kinds of hiking with scouts. Did a couple of 50 milers. As a kid, camping meant a minimum 2-mile hike to a primitive campsite. I'm now in my 50s and bike a lot more than I hike, but still enjoy a good backpacking trip. My 19 year old son asked me to do a 50 miler with him in the High Uintas May 5-10th so I've traded in my external frame pack for a smaller internal frame pack, picked up a light weight mummy bag and super feather weight air pad and am itching to hit the trails. My son and I started with winter snowshoeing and camping trips. Now we are hoping to ditch the snow gear, -20 F sleeping bags, and four season tent to do some fast trekking and fishing. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's trip suggestions and getting out this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First thing is does the pack fit you. I have had stores sell me what they had and said it fit. Not! Next learn how to adjust the pack properly when you put it on. Some brands are more lenient to slack adjustment than others. Osprey and Gregory come to mind, but think of packs becoming less accommodating the more you add to them. I would then load up the pack with moderate weight, say 15 - 20 lbs. and get out there ASAP. Increase the weight over the coming weeks to expected pack weight or more. You will likely find that you'll get sore in the hips and the butt most of all. That's where backpacking puts most the load. Of course you'll get sore everywhere else as well. :twothumbs:

Look at online references on how to load, adjust, and put on a pack properly so you can avoid injury and enjoy yourself.

Since you're a biker, you've likely maintained a decent level of fitness, which seems to be what kills the fun for most older trekkers. Backing up what SKLund said, a good fitting pack is essential. Add to that your boots have be a great fit also, and they have to be well broken-in. Finally, spend as much time as you can at as high altitudes as are available between now and the trip.

Good luck with the treks! If you're anything like me, the idea of "fast trekking" takes on a whole 'nother meaning now that you have a few years on you.

My 19 year old son asked me to do a 50 miler with him in the High Uintas May 5-10th so I've traded in my external frame pack for a smaller internal frame pack, picked up a light weight mummy bag and super feather weight air pad and am itching to hit the trails.

Welcome! I can't help but think that it's a typo that you're planning a 50 mile trip through the High Uintas in May. Right?

Welcome! I can't help but think that it's a typo that you're planning a 50 mile trip through the High Uintas in May. Right?

Not a typo. Just wishful thinking on my part. I didn't mention that we do like winter backpacking, but that's a different animal . . . Beacons, satellite pager, snowshoes and the list goes on. We really would like to a 50 miler and that just won't be fun if we are hauling all our winter gear along.

So . . . Today we started researching places to do a 50 miler in May in Utah that would be reasonably free from snow and not in the desert canyons where a flash flood could dampen things. So we are looking for recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
trustyfisherman Just getting started Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Bob Wind Rivers ..... for those getting the itch ........ Backpacking 2
balzaccom Getting old.... General Discussion 2
Perry Thinking About Getting WFR Certified General Discussion 13
Rockskipper Maybe it was the BBQ sauce (guy survives 3 weeks w/ no food or water after getting lost) General Discussion 0
Rockskipper As ice thaws, rock avalanches on Southeast Alaska mountains are getting bigger General Discussion 0
Rockskipper The Bells - yet another place getting overwhelmed General Discussion 19
McKee80 Getting a late start ... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
P Getting water in Yellowstone thermal areas General Discussion 4
stderr Getting back into it... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
seekinglost Uintas Highline Trail Solo Thru Hike - Getting to/from trailheads logistics Trip Planning 59
M Getting Naked Outdoors General Discussion 43
balzaccom Staying in shape...or getting it back General Discussion 9
H Odds of getting a walk-in permit in Glacier NP? Trip Planning 1
Laura Getting that thunderstorm itch….. Photography 17
Nick Getting into river rafting General Discussion 6
Duke Need advice on getting details in fog/clouds Photography 14
intuitive cat getting photos printed using an online printer Photography 4
uintahiker Thinking about getting new boots Gear 7
R Getting to All American Man Trip Planning 3
Mikjik86 Hiking Colorado - 13er Bald Mountain 13,703' Hiking & Camping 2
beaver-one Section Hiking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail): Oregon + Washington Trip Planning 3
Janice Meander vs Stillwater - hiking opportunities? Trip Planning 11
balzaccom Hiking Naked? General Discussion 22
BadFoot Altra Lone Peaks for hiking on slickrock - grippy or not? Gear 20
S Desert Hiking Footwear Gear 22
Henk Hiking The Portal Trail, Moab Everything Else 2
ANelson Hiking to the Top of the Henry's (Mount Ellen) August 2022 Hiking & Camping 10
mikejones3 New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App Gear 0
J Hiking Southwest Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Dec. 26-28, 2022 Hiking & Camping 2
R Pony Express Trail Hiking Recommendations Trip Planning 4
W Hiking boots - women's wide foot. General Discussion 8
norwegianxplorer Hiking Sierra de las Nieves, Spain. Sunrise hike from Yunquera, Andalusia, Wild boar and Spanish Ibex Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Hiking the unique hoodoos landscape of EL TORCAL de Antequera in Spain at sunrise, May 2022 Hiking & Camping 0
seekinglost Introducing the Mojave-Sonoran Trail: A NEW 625-mile Winter Thru-Hiking Route Backpacking 4
Reef&Ruins Interesting Thread on Another Hiking Forum General Discussion 13
TeamJenkins17 Washakie Wilderness Hiking Hiking & Camping 0
M What's your rain forecast comfort zone for canyon hiking? Trip Planning 4
Rockskipper Night Hiking General Discussion 19
F It has begun - Hiking Baja's El Camino Real Backpacking 7
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
F Hiking a section of the El Camino Real in Baja in 2022 Trip Planning 0
OwenM Hiking Horse Canyon? Trip Planning 4
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Femundsmarka National Park Pt 3, Grand Scandinavian Hiking & Backpacking Tour Ep4 Backpacking 0
kwc Hiking in Baxter State Park, Maine Hiking & Camping 4
Mountain Wanderer Hiking the Idaho Centennial Trail in the Great Burn Backpacking 0
A Need hiking gear suggestion Hiking & Camping 9
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
trailsofbudapest Hiking in Hungary Trip Planning 0