Pocket Rocket Stove

Hey guys, I will be heading out to Yellowstone here in a couple weeks and was starting to get all my meals together. I just bought the MSR Pocket Rocket Stove and am going to use that to boil water for my mountain house meals I plan on getting. I will be using 4 entrée pouches and 4 breakfast pouches. I am just really not sure on how much fuel I should get for the stove.... any help would be much appreciated.

One regular sized can (8 oz?) should be plenty. For 4 guys using one stove for 4 days, boiling water for breakfast and dinner, we usually bring one and a spare and rarely need the spare.

I love that stove. One can should be good but I would probably bring an extra just to be safe.

Also, make sure you make a aluminum foil wind break for around the back or you could end up using 10 cans.

I usually get 7 days on 1 8oz, breakfast and evening boiling.... I always carry a 4oz spare. If you are flying you cannot take the stove on the plane....you will have to buy it out here.

If you are flying you cannot take the stove on the plane....you will have to buy it out here.

What?!? I know he can't bring the fuel but are you saying he can't bring the actual stove? I need to know because I'm flying to Utah in a week and was planning to bring my jetboil (without fuel) then buying fuel locally after landing.

Sorry for hijacking @Spencer Sutherland but I figure you might need to know this as well if you're flying too.

No.....just fuel canisters or liquid. Not supposed to bring pressurized things on plane....although I know people who have got canisters and bear spray through in checked baggage

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
kimbur96 MSR Pocket Rocket Windscreen Project? Gear 0
rhubarrbb White Pocket - Lone Tree Road / Southern Road Trip Planning 3
TractorDoc Any other Katadyn Pocket Microfilter Users out there? Need a new Element? Gear 0
Janice Vermillion Cliffs Trip - Part 2 - White Pocket & Coyote Buttes South Hiking & Camping 7
Janice The Wave - and SO MUCH MORE! (Coyote Buttes North, South, White Pocket, Buckskin, Condors, Bighorns...) - Part 1 Hiking & Camping 14
regehr buffington pocket area recs? Trip Planning 17
gnwatts Katadyn Pocket Gear Market: Buy, Sell, Trade 0
IntrepidXJ Gaia GPS acquired by Pocket Outdoor Media General Discussion 18
J Great to be here! Heading to White Pocket next month... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 8
WasatchWill Backpacking Pleasant Pocket Mesa, Capitol Reef NP Backpacking 15
D South Coyote Buttes. We are going to put in at Lone Tree Reservoir because we don't have 4wd but we want to make it to White Pocket. Trip Planning 30
BJett Virgin Falls Pocket Wilderness/State Natural Area - Tennessee Backpacking 3
pixie1339 White Pocket, South Coyote Buttes Advice Trip Planning 11
P Invite White Pocket mid August Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Dirkules White Pocket to CBS Trip Planning 5
C white pocket hike, South Coyote Buttes Trip Planning 16
John Fowler White Pocket, Coyote Buttes, and Toprock Hiking & Camping 12
DAA Pocket Cam Pics - Let's see 'em! Photography 22
D Late March 2013 trip to White Pocket, North and South Coyote Buttes Hiking & Camping 2
Bill White Pocket 10.2012 Hiking & Camping 7
slc_dan Water Pocket Fold district, Capitol Reef. Sheets Gulch. Hiking & Camping 10
ROKTAXI White Pocket, The Wave & Alstrom Point Hiking & Camping 9
IntrepidXJ An Evening at The White Pocket Hiking & Camping 14
jdgibney The Wave/White Pocket Fri Oct 12 permits for a ride? Trip Planning 1
IntrepidXJ Cyclone Canyon & The Devil's Pocket Hiking & Camping 3
Bill White Pocket Access... Trip Planning 4
IntrepidXJ The White Pocket Hiking & Camping 4
John Fowler White Pocket 360 Photography 3
Nick White Pocket, January 2011 Hiking & Camping 3
Seldom Seen Anderson White Pocket Hiking & Camping 13
forest dweller Garmin Inreach Mini user friendly or require degree in rocket science? Gear 6
R Micro Rocket or Jetboil Resource Discussions 10
Perry Gasoline vs Alcohol Stove Testing Gear 11
N Gear Review Dpower stove from amazon Gear Reviews 1
Devin Ashby Alcohol Stove Options/Solutions Gear 5
Bob Solar Stove Gear 0
Archbishop Please help me with my Whisperlite stove. Gear 6
JD What kind of stove do you use Gear 61
pixie1339 New camp stove/electronics charger Gear 6
Nick Backpacking without a stove Gear 29
Deadeye008 Gear Review Mini Canister Stove Gear Reviews 6
Yellowstone 1 Gear Review MSR Windpro Stove Gear Reviews 2
Deadeye008 Wood burning stove/USB charger. Gear 10