Alcohol Stove Options/Solutions

Devin Ashby

Don't Bust The Crust!
So recently i've been looking more and more into the alcohol stove concept and I even took the time to make one out of soda cans, but I'm looking for some better solutions. I've been looking into the Trangia and Esbit stove which seem to be basically the same, but I'm lacking in finding a good pot stand for them. I came across the Firebox Stove that also has attachments for the Trangia, but it's out of stock right now. I have seen the cone systems, but really my beef with this style is there are so many components, or at least it seems that way.

Currently I am running all my cooking on a MSR Superbly canister stove, which I love, but just looking at other options. Right now it's a fight between getting and MSR Whisperlite or the Alcohol direction. Alcohol is looking more appealing as it's less money, but I love to cook real meals when I am out (NOLS Cookery) and not just boil water and rehydrate.

Thanks everyone!

Why change something that works......cold, wind and alcohol stoves are problematic. Also with any fed fire restrictions you need a stove with a shutoff switch. I have tried them and went back to canisters for the ease of use.

If you really need to cook instead of just rehydrating freeze dried or dehydrated then, definitely DO NOT go with an alcohol stove-you will hate it! If you are fine with simply rehydrating your meals, then alcohol is a great way to go. Personally, I am perfectly happy with the simplicity of freeze dried and always use a Pepsi can stove. Mine fits my needs very well but I know they aren't for everyone. I haven't ever had to curtail my alcohol stove use because of fire restrictions but if that ever were to happen, I have a Pocket Rocket I can take along as a second choice. Good luck with whatever you decide.

If you really need to cook instead of just rehydrating freeze dried or dehydrated then, definitely DO NOT go with an alcohol stove-you will hate it! If you are fine with simply rehydrating your meals, then alcohol is a great way to go. Personally, I am perfectly happy with the simplicity of freeze dried and always use a Pepsi can stove. Mine fits my needs very well but I know they aren't for everyone. I haven't ever had to curtail my alcohol stove use because of fire restrictions but if that ever were to happen, I have a Pocket Rocket I can take along as a second choice. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for the reply. I think I love my FryBake too much to go strictly with an alcohol stove. I am just thinking it's going to end up being too much a hassle for me. But if I decide to go rehydrating everything then Im just gonna go for it.

Why change something that works......cold, wind and alcohol stoves are problematic. Also with any fed fire restrictions you need a stove with a shutoff switch. I have tried them and went back to canisters for the ease of use.

Thanks Bob.

Tell you what, I will give you a free (just paypal me the $3.00 for shipping) alcohol stove. It is the type you buy at Sportsmans for $20-30. Never been used. Just IM me and I'll give you my email. This will get it out of your system so you can buy a real stove like the Whisperlite international or Dragonfly that can burn anything. I have most of the MSR liquid fuel stoves and love them all.

This will be my "Good Karma" give away for the year.