Gear Review MSR Windpro Stove

I got this stove with a 30% REI discount and my dividend about 3 years ago for about $50. I was doing alot of research on stoves and the difference between white gas and isopro. White gas seemed a little too messy for me and maybe more of a hassle, so I opted for the isopro type. My friends have Pocket Rockets and I always thought they looked a little unsturdy so I grabbed the Windpro because of high reviews. This thing is very sturdy and I've never been worried about a pot tipping.

Random 12\' 041.jpg

It came with a windshield and tool for field maintenance. This thing rocks in the wind if you use it with the shield, hence the name. That's if you want to carry the shield anyway. I had a blonde moment and I wasn't thinking about the name when I bought it.

Random 12\' 055.jpg

It's not huge, but it's not small like the Pocket Rocket. The specs say it weighs 6.8 oz and that's what it is without the shield. With the shield it is 9.9 oz. (Comparison: the Pocket Rocket weighs around 3 oz.)

Random 12\' 038.jpg

It fits inside a pot like so, this one is 7" wide. I can fit my pot handle, spork, plate, scraper and windshield inside with it. I've used it in all types of weather, freezing to hot and for hiking, camping and tailgating. I have never had a problem with it not wanting to light because of cold temps yet. Which I've heard can happen in cold temps. You can turn the canister upside down to help in the cold, but I haven't had to do that. The specs also say that it boils in 4 min 42 sec and I would say that is pretty close maybe even high. It also simmers great because it can be adjusted. Overall I love this stove and what it has done for me. :twothumbs:

Great review. That's a pretty slick little stove. I didn't even know they had one like that! A bit heavier than the pocket rocket but that stability, and the ability to get it lower and wind protected could really pay off on some trips. Very nice.

And you can get this fine piece of gear at Amazon. :D

[parsehtml]
<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=backcountrypo-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B000BBS49M" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
[/parsehtml]

You shouldn't have any problems with this in the cold because the fuel line passes by the burner. I have a Brunton stove that is very close to the same design as this but it runs on white gas. They are very nice.