Please help me with my Whisperlite stove.

Archbishop

Make ready. Go forward!
OK here's the the deal, I don't know jack about the MSR Whisperlite International stove. (I've always used pop can stoves.) I bought two used off of Ebay and they're both having same problem, so I don't think I got two bad units. I watched several Youtube videos so I think I know what I'm doing?
I've tried Yellow Heet and denatured alcohol as my fuel source with the same results. I pump up the fuel bottle about 20-30 times. I twist the knob get the little cup full, turn fuel knob off and light. It burst in to flames 20-30 seconds late I turn the knob back on. (Not sure if I should turn it all the way on, half, or what. Anyway I turn it on. The burn is impressive after about a minute or so the flame starts to settle down to what should be the actual stove jets burning. Nice flame like what I have on my kitchen stove. This pretty flame last for about 10-15 seconds and the flickers out. I then relight the flame and and try a different setting for fuel knob, but it doesn't seem to matter the flame flickers and dies out.
I originally thought the stove was dirty or what not. I wrote that seller back and chewed them out, they agreed to give me a refund. In the mean time I bought another one from a different seller it arrived today and is doing the same thing. (Guess I owe the first guy an apology.) Anyway this brings me to my believe that it's more than a dirty head or what not. They both are the shaker version which I've used.
So what am I do wrong?
Thanks for any help.

Maybe a different fuel source? I could have sworn that it would burn denatured alcohol though. (Wasn't so sure about the heet.)

What Deadeye008 said, although the jet fuel and gasoline sound a little scary to me...

Also, you don't need to fill the pan full. Just a tiny bit usually does the trick. It needs just enough to heat up the stove. When I start one I turn the gas on until a small amount of fuel is in the pan. Then I light the fuel and wait. As it's just about to burn out I turn the fuel on again and it usually ignites the burner and I'm cooking.

uhh, so ya, if anyone asks, the Whisperlite International does NOT burn denatured alcohol. I took my stove to REI fired right up using white gas. And now I know. (And so do you.)

Stick with the white gas. It is what it is designed to burn.

I owned a few whisperlites, and it sounds like yours is clogged. Fuel is pretty dirty, and buying them used you have no idea the care people gave them. X2 on white gas.
Something is blocking the fuel from rising when the pan is heating up. Take it apart and clean it?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
balzaccom A little help, please? Backpacking 0
Laura Help me pick photos for a contest please! Photography 8
SJG Little help please! Questions, Suggestions & Support 19
maisweh Backpacking Maze - Please Critique Trip Planning 11
Rockskipper Big Day - Please participate, esp. Scatman! General Discussion 9
G Zion trail report please Trip Planning 6
McKee80 Backcountry campsite selection - opinions please General Discussion 13
john.maldaner GPS Recommendation, Please Gear 53
C Recommendations for 4 day Backpacking in Southern Utah with dogs please... Trip Planning 1
ruffterrain Please don't be hatin' on me cuz i'm from Pennsylvania... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 20
blueeyes Suggestions please. Trip Planning 5
U Help with a Winds itinerary Trip Planning 19
wsp_scott Redwoods planning help Trip Planning 6
Stephanie Help! Looking for a 1-2 day trip Backpacking 9
balzaccom The Beatles were right: Help! Trip Planning 0
B 1-2 Night Sierra Trip Help Trip Planning 3
regehr Help identifying stone tool? General Discussion 6
balzaccom Help on the trail--literally General Discussion 7
Miya Down Gear Odor Help Gear 31
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
The Trout Whisperer HELP w/ lightweight chair recommendations!!!!! Gear 3
J Yikes, I need help deciding.... Trip Planning 5
Titans Paw prints, help pls! General Discussion 32
J Need Park City area Hiking help Trip Planning 2
Matt Van Natta HELP: Wind River Range, Baker Lake to Green River Lakes Trip Planning 7
pstm13 HELP NEEDED- Idaho in Early June for 2-3 Days Trip Planning 6
JBPHXAZ Dark Canyon Backpacking Help Trip Planning 9
DrNed Need Help With Mosquitoes? General Discussion 2
wsp_scott Help me buy a bike Gear 10
N Avenza IOS app help with Caltopo Resource Discussions 4
o2bav8 10/12/18 - help? General Discussion 12
Jimmy Glacier Route Help Trip Planning 0
TrektheWorld Need help with Uintas trip - camping Trip Planning 8
marquiri Help with Bridger-Teton National Forest Trip Planning 2
MurrMan81 Help Planning Utah Backpacking Trip Trip Planning 9
Cburton Teton Crest Trail Permit Issues - Help! Trip Planning 15
B Trip Selection Help: Tumble Creek or Sanford-Dadina Plateau (WStE AK) Trip Planning 12
LoneWolfOutdoors Help choosing between two tents Gear 8
Devin Ashby Southern Utah Backpacking Loop Help Trip Planning 9
N Help choosing trekking footwear General Discussion 3
uintahiker App building help General Discussion 10
AKay09 Teton Shuttle Help 8/18 or 8/19 Trip Planning 0
CCoC Yellowstone Itineraries Help Trip Planning 3
DrNed Help With Float Trip Planning Trip Planning 3
genez Teton shuttle help 7/10 ? Trip Planning 23
Artemus Help Requested - Conserving the San Rafael Swell Wilderness - Interested? General Discussion 16
DrNed Help With Water On White Rim Trip Planning 11
AKay09 Yellowstone/Tetons Help Trip Planning 40
WasatchWill Seeking a little help for Fall Break with family in GSENM Trip Planning 4
Outdoors24 Tent help Gear 10