DIY alcohol stove(Vienna Stove)

Deadeye008

Hambone
This stove is a version of the "Cat Stove"(Google this and you will find a bunch of info) except I used a Vienna Sausage can instead of a cat food can so I call this my Vienna Stove. The reason I used a Vienna Sausage can is so that the stove can hold more that 1 ounce of fuel. The Vienna Sausage can hold about 2.5 oz of fuel. The Cat Stove holds about an ounce. This stove is super light and super cheap. A can of Vienna Sausages will cost you less that 50 cents. The only other tools you need to make this stove are a paper hole punch and a measuring tape. The paper hole punch will easily punch holes in the Vienna Sausage can. You'll want to make 2 rows of holes with a hole every 1/2 inch. Make sure the top row of holes is about a 1/2 inch below the rim of the can. Stagger the holes of the two rows so that the holes do not sit on top of each other. You will see in the pictures below what I mean. Note: I have an extra row of small holes in my stove. I added these as an experiment to see if it would speed up the boil times but it had no apparent effect. Boil time for 2 cups of water is about 10 min from the time the stove is lit. One note on using alcohol stoves like this. After the stove is lit you have to let it prime before the pot can be put on it. This takes about a min and a half. If you put the pot on before this the stove will go out. Stoves like this also need a wind screen the majority of the time. I have made them out of aluminum foil or aluminum baking sheets. For fuel I use HEET. It costs about $1.75 for 12 oz and you can get it at most gas stations or Walmart. It takes 1 oz of fuel to boil 2 cups of water. If you are just heating up filtered water for a drink you can use 1/2 oz of fuel. Here are some pics.

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

This is the fuel bottle that I keep the fuel in when backpacking.
IMG_2365.jpg

Priming the stove.
IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

With wind screen in place.
IMG_2372.jpg

I was going to plan a scouting activity where each of the boys would make one these cat food can stoves and be required to use it during an overnight backpacking trip up Grove Creek Canyon to Indian Springs. Unfortunately, current BSA regulations no longer permit the use of such a 'dangerous' device. Didn't stop the leaders from using one, however. :)

Hey there Deadeye. (I'm also a Hamblin just FYI) and I was wondering in your windscreen design why you put the vent holes in the bottom? Is this just for more air/oxygen flow? I like the design and finding a gold mine like a Vienna Sausage can is brilliant. I'm about to make mine so I liked the tip there!

I was going to plan a scouting activity where each of the boys would make one these cat food can stoves and be required to use it during an overnight backpacking trip up Grove Creek Canyon to Indian Springs. Unfortunately, current BSA regulations no longer permit the use of such a 'dangerous' device. Didn't stop the leaders from using one, however. :)

One way to reduce the danger of the stove tipping over and dumping all the alcohol out is to fill the inside of the stove with toilet paper, cotton balls, or anything else that would absorb the alcohol. I did it with my MT Dew stove so my 11 year old son would not go up in flames. This may not satisfy the BSA but it sure helps be feel better knowing that if there is a high wind or ADHD teen that bumps it there will be no spills.

Also, I use denatured alcohol in mine. It is a little cheaper than HEET.

Great job on the wind screen. I am going to copy it for mine.

Hey there Deadeye. (I'm also a Hamblin just FYI) and I was wondering in your windscreen design why you put the vent holes in the bottom? Is this just for more air/oxygen flow? I like the design and finding a gold mine like a Vienna Sausage can is brilliant. I'm about to make mine so I liked the tip there!
Yes, the holes in the bottom allow for more oxygen flow and since they are on the bottom it doesn't allow the wind to affect the flame.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

That's cool you actually use it!!! I made a few pop can ones, but never have used them for actual cooking! I like your vienna can better as the pop can is a bit delicate.