untitled-1.jpg

White Pocket in the Paria/Vermillion Cliffs National Monument has been on my hit list for years but because of what is called a road I had never attempted to drive out there. Now I dont mind being stuck, but I dont want to be the one with a vehicle that is stuck, I dont need that stress :)! So when an invite was made I gladly accepted. When they arrived driving a Honda Pilot I was a little nervous, fortunately the infamous sand was semi frozen so that was not an issue, but we needed at least 1 1/2 inches more in clearance (R. Kelsey was dead on, on the measurements). In the deepest rutted areas you could see, feel and hear our muffler plowing through the sand. We ended up making it to the mud/snow covered parking area. First vehicles there! I saw one other person and on the way out saw Nicks truck in the parking lot, but I didnt see Nick.
6618056111_7fd3dfdee5_z.jpg

untitled-6.jpg

untitled-10.jpg

White Pocket Crop.jpg

white.jpg

White Pocket is a pretty impressive place especially for photographers. Its a wonderland of bizarrely shaped sandstone, and an artists palette of different colors. I could have spent all day out there. For others who dont really care about pictures, and the golden hours a couple hours would be sufficient. Near the end of our day we came across what must have been a temporary stopping place for Anasazi (Ancestral Puebloans for the PC crowd). There was a considerable amount of pottery shards, and chippings for arrowheads. Several different kinds of pottery would indicate that this place had been used for many migrations through the area. We found corrugated, red ware, white and gray. Most of the shard were rather small but a few were palm sized.

6618333085_fc13236668.jpg

Great post, I really hope to make it out to white pocket in 2012. I picked up some CBN permits for April and hope to make it then

Awesome. The shots of the dragon's tail formation are sweet. I never really made it up to that end of the pocket. Good reasons to go back! I still can't believe we were out there at the same time and didn't run into each other.

Didn't even know this was there. huh. Looks really cool. I just need to become rich so I can afford to take a year and come out west and travel around exploring.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
rhubarrbb White Pocket - Lone Tree Road / Southern Road Trip Planning 3
Janice Vermillion Cliffs Trip - Part 2 - White Pocket & Coyote Buttes South Hiking & Camping 7
Janice The Wave - and SO MUCH MORE! (Coyote Buttes North, South, White Pocket, Buckskin, Condors, Bighorns...) - Part 1 Hiking & Camping 14
J Great to be here! Heading to White Pocket next month... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 8
D South Coyote Buttes. We are going to put in at Lone Tree Reservoir because we don't have 4wd but we want to make it to White Pocket. Trip Planning 30
pixie1339 White Pocket, South Coyote Buttes Advice Trip Planning 11
P Invite White Pocket mid August Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Dirkules White Pocket to CBS Trip Planning 5
C white pocket hike, South Coyote Buttes Trip Planning 16
John Fowler White Pocket, Coyote Buttes, and Toprock Hiking & Camping 12
D Late March 2013 trip to White Pocket, North and South Coyote Buttes Hiking & Camping 2
Bill White Pocket 10.2012 Hiking & Camping 7
ROKTAXI White Pocket, The Wave & Alstrom Point Hiking & Camping 9
IntrepidXJ An Evening at The White Pocket Hiking & Camping 14
jdgibney The Wave/White Pocket Fri Oct 12 permits for a ride? Trip Planning 1
Bill White Pocket Access... Trip Planning 4
IntrepidXJ The White Pocket Hiking & Camping 4
John Fowler White Pocket 360 Photography 3
Nick White Pocket, January 2011 Hiking & Camping 3
Writhdar Day hikes in the White Clouds and Lost River Range Hiking & Camping 1
LarryBoy Is there anything technical in White Canyon above the Black Hole? Trip Planning 16
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Idaho's Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness : O'Calkens Lake & Bighorn Basin Backpacking 2
D White Rim Road Off Road 2
Parma White Rim Road FKT General Discussion 4
IntrepidXJ Diane’s Birthday Ride on the White Rim Trail Everything Else 3
Dhuff3243 Robbers Roost/White Roost Trip Planning 1
Nick Who wants to have 2 nights at White Crack in March? General Discussion 0
Parma Idaho's White Cloud Mountains - Boulder Chain Lakes - Chamberlain Basin Backpacking 8
misSOULa Six days in the Bob Marshall Wilderness: The Chinese Wall and White River Backpacking 15
Ugly Another Friday Night... White Winter Sports 7
fossana solo white rim day trip on the dual sport Off Road 11
S Two weeks in the White Clouds, Idaho, July 2018 Backpacking 6
MVS White Rim Side Roads Trip Planning 4
RyanP White Rim Road vehicle/difficulty questions Trip Planning 8
Ugly Saturday in Black and White, with a smudge of Green Hiking & Camping 3
J White Cloud Route. 2018 June 22 Trip Planning 3
Glasterpiece White Sands NM General Discussion 9
Vegan.Hiker White Mountain National Forest (Eisenhower, Pierce, Jackson) - May 2018 Backpacking 15
Ugly Mill D - Fresh White Milkshake Covered Desolation Winter Sports 15
MVS White Rim General Discussion 10
Nanda White rim in March Trip Planning 3
Nick White Canyon Tributaries Trip Planning 3
George_Washington_Hayduke White Roost Canyons (east and west forks) & North Fork of Robbers Roost Canyon Canyoneering 3
powderglut Toadstools and Hoodoos in the White Rock Valley Hiking & Camping 8
Rockskipper White moose in Sweden General Discussion 2
S White Cloud route, Big Boulder Lakes to Boulder Chain Lakes Trip Planning 3
Eugene Paria Canyon from White House to Big Spring Backpacking 3
George_Washington_Hayduke Clearwater Canyon, Black Hole of White Canyon, Dark Canyon, Swett Canyon "Packraftoneering" Canyoneering 6
DrNed White River In Colorado Trip Planning 6
isleroyaleguy White Clouds maps? Trip Planning 4