Binoculars for backpacking

Jackson

I ❤️ GYE
I saw that there was already a (very short) thread for general use binoculars, so I figured I'd start one for backpacking binoculars since I'm considering getting some fairly soon.

First, does anyone use them backpacking? If so, what would do you use and what would you recommend?

I've looked on Amazon and found well-reviewed, pretty inexpensive ones that weigh 1-2 lbs. Is that reasonable weight?

I figure it's better to ask about this on here because I know that anyone here who uses them will probably have put them through more than the casual bird watcher (nothing wrong with bird watching though).

I've had these for about 15 years or so and love them for general use and short hikes. Even though they are compact, they are heavy and just a tad too big to comfortably ride on my belt for a long time. If they ever break I'll probably look at getting a monocular instead.
Untitled.png

Last edited:
I carry a 10 power monocular sometimes... way lighter

Oh my gosh, there are so many lightweight (one pound or less), relatively inexpensive models that have good optics now. Most birders consider 7x35 binocs the absolute minimum in magnification and light gathering capability. As a birder/backpacker/wildlife viewer, I usually haul my 8 x 32 binocs as they have plenty of magnification and enough light gathering to allow me to see things well until almost dark. They are +25 years old and therefore heavy for what they are. The primary tips I have are buy a brand that has a good reputation (Bushnell, Nikon, Pentax, etc) and test them out well before buying. I admit that I am old-school in my preferred brands, so there may be some newer brands that are of decent quality that I don't know about. I also have a deep-seated preference for binoculars over a monocular. Just my preference, probably based on what I am used to.

Make sure that one side has a focus ring. Adjust it so that each eye is in sharp focus when looking at something with a lot of detail at 10-15 yards. Looking across Sportsman's Warehouse at the far wall will tell you a little about the optical quality but ask the sales person if you can go over by the door (or even outside if they are not busy) and look at something 150 - 200 yards away. Then test how easily the binocs change focus. Look at something 10 - 15 yards away. How sharp is the image at 15 yards? It should pop. Look into shaded areas and in the general direction of the sun (not at it, of course). If there are halos around objects, put them back. Whenever I buy a new pair, I drive myself and the sales people a little nuts as I make several trips and look through many models before making a purchase.

Backpacking/hiking are hard on optics. I use my old pair for these activities and save my higher quality ones for vehicle-based activities and hunting. For $50 - $80, you can buy a good, lightweight pair that if they are dropped, lost, etc won't be too much of a financial hit.

"Casual birder" I believe is an oxymoron ;) Really though, birdforum has some great recs and people know what they're talking about http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112. Check out the big bargains thread and the thread on the Sightron Blue Skys.

I guess it depends on what kind of backpacking you do. I do biological surveys for work so I'm pretty into wildlife viewing and using binoculars is a pretty integral part of a normal day of work(I use Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32) but there's no way I'd take them backpacking. If you do the type of backpacking where you do a few miles and set up a basecamp for some leisurely bummin around, then sure, but I find a small monocular a lot more appropriate for most backpacking (I use a Nikon that's a couple ounces).

If you do go with a "real" pair, I agree with the above that 8x32 is the sweet spot of size/weight/usability. Also worth noting that spending a bit more gets you the piece of mind of good warranties (ex. Vortex has a legendary no-fault no questions asked lifetime warranty for anything that might happen...most other quality brands have lifetime warrantees).

Now Jackson, I sent you an email but for everyone will reply here also.

Now for years and years, since I started hiking in 1978, binoculars has been a very very big part of my essential equipment when hiking. I am a very much of a birdwatcher and have been birdwatching since a kid with keeping a life list, a various state lists, and everything. Also I am a big wildlife enthusiast. In my hiking, a pair of binoculars becomes like a second pair of eyes and am using them about constantly. I find that I am always scanning slopes near or far for any kind of wildlife including grizzlies or wolves. Or like when in the Soda Fork Meadows in the Teton Wilderness, use them to watch the nightly evening wildlife show in the meadows. How many times will I see something thru the binoculars that will never pickup or see by my eyesight alone. Yes as Outdoor Fool said on Backpacking and Hiking can be hard on optics for I have gone thru many many a pair thru my years of hiking.

Right now I use a Zeiss Victory Compact 10x25. They are lightweight and great for hiking. I have used this brand for years. I have used both Zeiss and Swarovski Binoculars for years and years. Yes they are expensive. But for myself it is wayyyy worth the expense for how much I use them in my hikes .... I would be lost without a pair of binoculars in my hiking it seems bigtime. The present pair I have, I bought from B&H photo for like $350 or so on sale several years ago. Right now they are selling for $589 and are rated at near 5 stars.

There are many good binoculars out there. Now before one buys and if one does not know about binoculars, then read up on what to look for in purchasing a pair. You will get what you pay for. If one buys cheap then to myself, expect problems. One thing to look for is how much fuzziness is on the edge in the glass. Zeiss, Leitz, and Swarovski has Great Optics but one will pay for the optics.

And again I fully recommend everyone to take a pair of Binoculars with them in there hiking for really to see everything that is out there. It helps with myself personally bigtime. How many times have I seen some bear up on a slope or some wolves out in some Yellowstone meadow, or something which would have missed if without some binoculars. Wishing Everyone the Best!

Last edited:
"Casual birder" I believe is an oxymoron ;) Really though, birdforum has some great recs and people know what they're talking about http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112. Check out the big bargains thread and the thread on the Sightron Blue Skys.

I guess it depends on what kind of backpacking you do. I do biological surveys for work so I'm pretty into wildlife viewing and using binoculars is a pretty integral part of a normal day of work(I use Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32) but there's no way I'd take them backpacking. If you do the type of backpacking where you do a few miles and set up a basecamp for some leisurely bummin around, then sure, but I find a small monocular a lot more appropriate for most backpacking (I use a Nikon that's a couple ounces).

If you do go with a "real" pair, I agree with the above that 8x32 is the sweet spot of size/weight/usability. Also worth noting that spending a bit more gets you the piece of mind of good warranties (ex. Vortex has a legendary no-fault no questions asked lifetime warranty for anything that might happen...most other quality brands have lifetime warrantees).

I hesitated before typing the casual bird watching thing. Should've listened to myself. Haha. I'm sure many birders get their binoculars dirty, wet, and beat up in course of their activities.

I really like the sound of the Vortex warranty.

I tend to like to hike all day and just set up camp where I end up, so maybe a monocular would be better... Thanks for the links and advice!

What do you want to do/see with the binoculars?

I got a monocular a couple years ago (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AIIE9NS/?tag=backcountrypo-20), works pretty well. It doesn't have a lot of light gathering power, but I was able to see comet Lovejoy in winter 2015 with them. Hard to argue with the price :)

The binoculars (or monocular) would be primarily for looking for/viewing wildlife. Also for viewing other landmarks/features that aren't as clear with my plain eyesight. And you're right, that is a very hard price to beat!

Nikon Monarch. I got a kinda ugly pair of these in camo for cheap from Sierra Trading Post a while ago.

Been using Nikon Monarch 5 10x binoculars for a couple years now. Have not been disappointed. Would go for 8 power if I did it again, though. They are a tad heavy for my concept of backpacking, but I carry them on almost every dayhike that I do. Look into Vortex stuff also, they make some very good optics. Have a spotting scope they make that is very good, and bought a couple pairs of compact binoculars from them for relatives that were very good (and got them on sale at a great price).