Your go to insulated sleeping pad?

I'm in the market for an insulated sleeping pad as temperatures here get down to around freezing in May/June and September/October. What's your go to insulated sleeping pad?

I've been sleeping on one of these (or, more likely, a predecessor model, but it looks identical) since 2018 and like it quite a bit. I'm super paranoid about punctures and try to not let it touch anything except the inside of my bivy bag, and it has treated me well so far

I've had my xlite for 6-7 years and it's going strong. I recently updated to a wide version and don't think I'll go back. I also baby mine like regehr. If I wasn't quite as tall as I am, I would go with a women's version, since they're a little warmer and lighter (but shorter, which doesn't work as well for me). If I was consistently camping in temps around freezing or below, I'd probably get an xtherm instead.

We love the X-Therm.

Super comfortable and this time we bought the WIDE version, enough restless nights wasted on 20”. We baby ours as well, like @regehr . We sleep much better now.

R-value >7, so somewhat overkill for the months you are going. We use them in October-December & March-April. They are usually 20-25% off during Memorial Week and Labor Day week. Super expensive, but we have zero regrets.

Backpack version:

Neo Air Trekker ........ have had it forever. Never been cold

Last edited:
X-Therm as well. If you're a cold sleeper and are only going to own one pad, this is the warmest per ounce by far. Despite that, it also has fabric on the bottom that's 2x as thick (or 2x the denier) as most pads. I enjoyed the Nemo Tensor Insulated as a brief experiment with a potentially more comfortable pad with different baffling, but I punctured it in the field and instantly went back to the bomber X-Therm.

I'll come in with maybe a bit more controversial of a submission and mention the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Ultra. I've had mine since 2017 and it's never given me any trouble. My wife uses the same type of pad and also has never had issues. It's very thick, packs small, and is easy to inflate and make small inflation adjustments.

Tensor has done the trick even in alpine subzero. Used to use an XTherm and it works as advertised too, but unless you sleep reallllly soundly the racket it makes with every slightest body movement will drive you and anyone nearby nuts.

I wonder if my thermarest neoair got quieter over time or if I just stopped noticing it? I don't recall the crinkle noises bothering me even in the beginning though, but I did notice them. I also sleep in a tyvek-bottomed bivy that can be loud but that doens't bother me either...

The latest "NXT" version of the NeoAir series (X-Lite and X-Therm) is supposed to be significantly quieter than pre-2022 versions. NXT also bumped up the R-value slightly for both, even though both were already highest in class.

Yeah, the crinkling noise is a very common complaint for the thermarests but I've never noticed it at all myself.

Yeah, the crinkling noise is a very common complaint for the thermarests but I've never noticed it at all myself.
Mine is old enough.... Doesn't crinkle

Just had my old NeoAir Xlite replaced with the NXT. Significantly less noise. I carry the Gossamer Gear Thinpad and a small section of SolLite as insurance in case of puncture. Field repairs don't always go as advertised.

Thought about XTherm but still like some insurance. Wider models definitely useful cause turning over has to be done with care.

As a side sleeper width matters almost more than length... and I am NOT a short guy. I am not so much a gram weenie that a few ounces more is worth it to fully accommodate over 6' and to have the width so my arms do not hang off, or that I do not slide off when switching sides in the night.
There is much more than the Xtherm out there now, but when I got the Xtherm nothing else was close with the R-value. I spend many nights a year right on the snow. I did get the GG thinpad like @OldBill but mostly that is to keep the pad from sliding and protect the investment.

Even though I snore...
The Xtherm, even the old ones, were never as loud as the crinkly yellow ones. I saw the new NXT and they definitely are quieter. I also have a NeoAir that is only a couple years old and it is quieter than the original. Therma rest sent me a new one when the valve failed after 7 years of use.

I like the XTherm and the XLite. My XTherm is an older model and still going strong (w/ a couple patches courtesy of Bear Basin). My XLite is a little newer and has a better nozzle (though I've heard of a manufacturing defect affecting some).

Honestly couldn't care less about the "crinkle" in any mat I've ever used.

My thermarest leaked with only 4 nights on it…got a bit cold with th temps in th 20s ..so, I changed to a Nemo tensor insulated ..3 oz more but full rectangle not mummy shaped and I love it thus far…