Sleeping bags

Eugene

I am looking to replace my old synthetic bag which really doesn't help much below 45 degrees. I am looking for something to keep me warm down to the upper 20s - no real extreme temps. Of course weight is a prime consideration as I am trying to keep my pack weight down as much as possible. And of course I don't want to spend my whole years budget on one item. Any suggestions?

What kind of budget are you look at?

I'm a big fan of Western Mountaineering bags...but they certainly aren't cheap. I'd quickly replace my Sycamore MF with another one if something happened to it....best bag I've ever owned :)

I use a Mtn Hardwear Ultralamina 15. Syn, says to 15, 2lb 10oz, smashes down good. Plenty warm for me to about 15. Everyone is different as far as cold, I don't sleep cold either. On long trips....Pack weight is around 40lbs start for 2 week trip, so I value light things.

I use my Mountain Hardwear Phantasia 15 down bag and during the winter my Mountain hardwear Phantom 0 degree. Both are super light, 800 down fill and pack super small. They are pricey but you can often get them on sale like I did with more than 40% off.

I have a Marmot Helium and I'd recommend it. I think it's a light, quality bag for the money. 15* rating, 2lb 2 oz.

I have been using a Mountain Hardware Pinole. It has severed me well. It might be a little heavy for some people at 3 LBS. I picked it up from Steep and Cheap for around $75.00 or so. If you have the time to watch Steep and Cheap you can find some pretty good deals. You can go back and see the history of past deals. A lot of times the same items will just cycle through and you will it again days or hours later. If you see a item that peaks your interest you can do your research on it and wait to see it again. You can also have it send a alert to your phone if it comes up for sale again. Here is a link to the deal tracker... http://sacalerts.com/

I have a Marmot Helium and I'd recommend it. I think it's a light, quality bag for the money. 15* rating, 2lb 2 oz.
I have the same bag, and I love it. well worth the money I spent. I bought mine off of campsaver during a sale where I also got an extra discount. If you haven't purchased from them before you can get 15% your first purchase
http://www.campsaver.com/helium-15-sleeping-bag-850-down

Although looking around it looks like a few other places offer it for a little less (at the time of my purchase campsaver had the best deal, plus I was helping a Utah company).

Thanks for all the replies.. Will do some looking at the recommendations

I've been real happy with my Feathered Friends Osprey (1lb 12oz). Quality bag. Light. And compresses down fairly small.

What kind of budget are you look at?

I'm a big fan of Western Mountaineering bags...but they certainly aren't cheap. I'd quickly replace my Sycamore MF with another one if something happened to it....best bag I've ever owned :)
I will second this. They aren't cheap, but they are the best bags out there. If you spend the money, you wont have to buy another bag. And there temperature ratings imo are the most accurate.

Check out quilts. Cheaper and lighter. I use a enLIGHTen Equipment, Revation. His ratings are right on or a bit underrated. I have a 20F bag. I have used to to the mid 20sf and have been toasty. I actually think it could go down to 10F. Plus a local cottage industry guy. Great support as well.

I only use down these days. The knock on it is that it can not get wet. Well I have been camping for over 50 years and my bags have never gotten wet. Damp yes, wet never. It packs tiny, weighs next to nothing. Stored well it will last many many years. I also like the idea of a quilt. If the straps are used properly(took me few times to figure it out) then it will act like a bag. I often, though not always use mine in a bivy.

I'm a huge fan of western mountaineering as well. I've heard nothing but excellent things about feathered friends too.

Cheap, light, or high-quality. Pick two. :)

Last edited:
How about sleeping bags for us more full figured men? Are the big anges any good? I was looking at the lost ranger on backcountry.
Backcountry has a %20 off coupon right now. code is save20.

How about sleeping bags for us more full figured men? Are the big anges any good? I was looking at the lost ranger on backcountry.
That's a pretty big shoulder girth, so Yeah I would say that's what you want. I have never used their bags, so I don't know much about them. Try comparing bags on REI, and look at the specs. The wider the shoulders the better.

I don't like Big Agnes bags because of the sleeping pad sleeve they build into them. I don't like to be tied to my sleeping pad and they leave out insulation in the bag where the sleeve is.

Are you looking for a budget bag, or something that'll last 20 years?

Check out this spec chart from western mountaineering. Pay attention to the inside girth measurement. They typically have a large girth bag for most temperature ratings. In fact, I need a small bag, and it's been frustrating that the super warm bags don't come in their smallest cut. I suppose that's to fit a large puffy inside your bag, but still, way too big for my needs.

http://westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Sleeping Bags&ContentId=27

I don't like Big Agnes bags because of the sleeping pad sleeve they build into them. I don't like to be tied to my sleeping pad and they leave out insulation in the bag where the sleeve is.

I have wondered about that. I don't know how I would like no insulation on the back side.

Are you looking for a budget bag, or something that'll last 20 years?

Check out this spec chart from western mountaineering. Pay attention to the inside girth measurement. They typically have a large girth bag for most temperature ratings. In fact, I need a small bag, and it's been frustrating that the super warm bags don't come in their smallest cut. I suppose that's to fit a large puffy inside your bag, but still, way too big for my needs.

http://westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Sleeping Bags&ContentId=27

Price range, I am halfway between budget and high end. I am having a hard time spending $300 + on a sleeping bag. So I guess I am a budget bag guy right now.
I need to look at bags. REI the best place to look at them.
Thanks for the help.
Jack

What temperature rating are you looking for? Down or synthetic? Car camping or backpacking?