Anasazi Ruins Exploration

Eugene

Is it just me or is it harder and harder to find ruins and rock art on the web? Is the BLM actively sanitizing posts to avoid information on ruins and rock art? I have done quite a bit of the famous Cedar Mesa (Grand Gulch) area hikes and am looking for a 3-4 day (20-25 mi) hike exploring ruins in the southwest. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have done Salt Creek once but as a thru hike from Cathedral Butte to the main area of Canyonlands. I have found some mention of a loop of Salt Creek and Lavender Canyon. Does anyone have any good info on this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated (planning for an early spring 2015 hike).

Yes! It's a governmental conspiracy!
My suggestion is to go through many of the trip reports here, and you will find many great places to back pack to view ruins and rock art. Which famous Cedar Mesa hikes have you done? More info as to where you have been would be helpful. Cedar Mesa has quite a few canyon systems, maybe you have done them all?: Mule Canyons, Dark Canyon (not technically Cedar Mesa I guess), Texas Canyon off of Comb Ridge, Grand Gulch proper with it's myriad of side canyons (almost a lifetime of exploring here), Slickhorn Canyon (4 or 5 entrance points, each with a different vibe), Point Lookout (right next to Slickhorn) is a magical little place, Hat Flat (just park your car and explore), Johns Canyon, an entirely different feel from the other 2 major Cedar Mesa canyons, you can explore the upper and lower portions in several trips.
You can access the other side of the Mesa via Cigarette Springs road, I am assuming you have hiked the Road Canyon loop (3 Kivas etc), yet there are many little hikes and back packs in this area besides the known ones. If you have done Fish and Owl Creeks, you can expand that hike to avoid the bumper to bumper traffic that you can find here.
And back to Grand Gulch, there are many 3-4 day loop hikes that can be put together, depending on your abilities and time available. My $.02, but try exploring the not so famous Cedar Mesa hikes and you will be rewarded. Just pick a spot on the map and start walking, you will find ruins and art.

Yes! It's a governmental conspiracy!
My suggestion is to go through many of the trip reports here, and you will find many great places to back pack to view ruins and rock art. Which famous Cedar Mesa hikes have you done? More info as to where you have been would be helpful. Cedar Mesa has quite a few canyon systems, maybe you have done them all?: Mule Canyons, Dark Canyon (not technically Cedar Mesa I guess), Texas Canyon off of Comb Ridge, Grand Gulch proper with it's myriad of side canyons (almost a lifetime of exploring here), Slickhorn Canyon (4 or 5 entrance points, each with a different vibe), Point Lookout (right next to Slickhorn) is a magical little place, Hat Flat (just park your car and explore), Johns Canyon, an entirely different feel from the other 2 major Cedar Mesa canyons, you can explore the upper and lower portions in several trips.
You can access the other side of the Mesa via Cigarette Springs road, I am assuming you have hiked the Road Canyon loop (3 Kivas etc), yet there are many little hikes and back packs in this area besides the known ones. If you have done Fish and Owl Creeks, you can expand that hike to avoid the bumper to bumper traffic that you can find here.
And back to Grand Gulch, there are many 3-4 day loop hikes that can be put together, depending on your abilities and time available. My $.02, but try exploring the not so famous Cedar Mesa hikes and you will be rewarded. Just pick a spot on the map and start walking, you will find ruins and art.

Did Kane to Grand Gulch and out Bullet. Went in once at Polly's and went down canyon a bit but came back out due to lack of water (was early June and most water had dried up). Then did Fish and Owl doing a day hike down from the confluence. So I guess there is still quite a bit to explore. Thanks for the info!

Bummer about lack of water @ Government Trail. If you are interested in some lower Grand Gulch loop hikes: Pine and Step Canyon, Sheiks Canyon/Bullet canyon. A number of loop hikes can be made from the Government Trail too. Same with Collins Spring further down.
Others might disagree, but I think you will find many more ruin and rock art sites back packing here than in Canyonlands. At least they are more concentrated.

+1
You have missed a lot in Grand Gulch, you can go thru the same sections and see stuff you missed. Canyonlands does not have the concentration of ruins you may think. McCloyd, Road, etc. Getting away from GG. Comb Ridge and its minor canyons, Arch, Beef Basin, Fable Valley, Bowdie, Hammond..... Explore unnamed canyons.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm convinced that I need to go back to Cedar Mesa/Grand Gulch. Now I have to convince my hiking buddies here in Houston. Our issue always is that we have a long trip to get out there (usually fly from Houston to ABQ and then a 6 hr drive to the trailhead) so it does take a full day. Thanks again.