RUINS....which ones?

Alison

Hooligan in search of Hoodoos
Hey you ruin junkies, if you had 3 days and were solo with a 4x4, which Southern Utah ruins would you recommend that are easier to access and most bang for your hike? Preferably out and back hikes, not backpacking. Curious as there seem to be so many!

Citadel (need decent route following skills and some scrambling so depending on the age and experience) ...Fallen Roof (easy) (both in the same canyon but accessible at different trailheads),
House on Fire/Mule Canyon in general (easy)
Anything on Comb Ridge/ Butler Wash (lots of options most pretty easy to get to) personally I really enjoyed cold spring cave a real bang for your buck ruin (lots of ruins that is)

Citadel (need decent route following skills and some scrambling so depending on the age and experience) ...Fallen Roof (easy) (both in the same canyon but accessible at different trailheads),
House on Fire/Mule Canyon in general (easy)
Anything on Comb Ridge/ Butler Wash (lots of options most pretty easy to get to) personally I really enjoyed cold spring cave a real bang for your buck ruin (lots of ruins that is)

though I have yet to do it myself, I would agree with the Comb Ridge/Butler Wash combo with Mule Canyon/House on Fire in the mix. Seems like there are more than enough in & out sites along those routes to keep one busy for awhile.

I'm not very experienced down that way, but I really liked the hike Audra and I did to Bullseye and Ballroom. It's a short hike from a paved road and fantastic bang for buck. Let me know if you need some directions.

My trip report:
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/index.php?threads/bullseye-ruin-ballroom-cave-cedar-mesa.589/

Funny story I actually intended to go to these ruins I had a map from Nick, GPS from Deadeye008 but somehow had it in my head that they were on lower butler wash road? By the time I realized we were a solid hour from here so we instead went to cold cave spring, monarch, and the wolfman panel.

This is what I learned from my trip and suggestions for anyone planning to visit some of these ruins.
Lessons learned
1. This area is awesome and there is soooooo much to see.
2. Focus on one area rather than a shotgun approach (driving to the comb ridge/butler wash ruins easily added 2-3 hours of drive time) I could have hiked to see many of the other ruins near where we camped instead of driving.
3. Bring good beta/trail descriptions.

Thanks you guys!!! Knew I could count on you. ;). Will pass this info on to start researching.

Hi Allison,
Comb Ridge, Butler Wash.
If you neck of the woods there, at Butler Wash Rd are some dinosaur tracks not far from UT 95.
Heading north on Comb Wash Rd (Old Perkins Rach Rd) you'll see Walnut Knob, invest a little time to scramble up to visiting rock art.
Next goal Arch Canyon - it's scenic. There are many ruins, nice camp spots and at the end 2 wonderful arches. You can ride this canyon by 4x4. I've seen during my hike a very nice red Jeep, w/ a full phat setup, on trail.

Bumping this old thread to see if anyone has more beta about the dino tracks mentioned above near the junction of Butler Wash and 95? Heading back down that way with my boy for the next couple nights.

Unfortunately I'm at work in the moment. I'll PM you tomorrow morning MEZ. :)

Gesendet via iPhone 6S mit TapaTalk