First Visit to Joshua Tree NP

WasatchWill

Ready For More
April 3, 2017

A few hours of driving through the Mojave Desert from Valley of Fire State Park on our second day of Spring Break eventually landed us at Joshua Tree National Park. I had originally aimed for the Park Boulevard entrance via the town of Joshua Tree so as to take us to by Barker Dam, Hidden Valley, and Skull Rock on our drive through, a few hikes I thought would be interesting. However, due to being crunched for time and already behind schedule, we took the first entrance via the Utah Trail from Twenty Nine Palms. First, we made a quick pit stop at the Oasis Visitor Center.

Oasis Visitor Center

At the corner of the block the visitor center sits, there is a junction of two roads: Utah Trail and National Park Drive. Given the Mighty Five national parks that Utah boasts of, one would think such an intersection would naturally be found in our beloved home state, but nope...This is California!

No, we did not magically arrive back in Utah

Speaking of national parks in Utah, had this actually been a Utah park, we would have just drove on right past the official entrance sign. But since we were far enough out of state, we became tourists and jumped out for the obligatory group shot with the entrance sign.

Family photo at the park entrance

Since Barker Dam, Hidden Valley, and even Skull Rock were so much further out of the way, we settled for a quick hike out to Joshua Tree's own Arch Rock, our second landmark by the same name that day. The short hike starts out from the White Tank Campground.

On the way to Arch Rock

Shortly after starting the hike, we found that there to be a number of social trails weaving through each other, a couple that led us a little off course, forcing us to re-orient and re-direct ourselves back to the main trail.

The landscape was truly unique and fascinating. The sea of smooth white boulders accented by blooming prickly pear cactus plants and of course the park's namesake, some Joshua Trees made it all quite an enchanted area. Some rock formations seemed to resemble other life forms.

Prickly pear along Arch Rock Trail

Joshua Trees along Arch Rock trail

Rock Monster

Lizard

Enchanting geology

In due course, we soon arrived at Arch Rock itself where we waited our turn for a photo-bomb free photo.

Waiting for a picture at Arch Rock

The kids under Arch Rock

Arch Rock

It was great to say we got to sample a taste of Joshua Tree National Park and see a bit of what makes is such a popular attraction for wilderness and recreational enthusiasts in Southern California, but it was equally sad not having any more time to spend there. Had we an extra day, we certainly would have. It's a park that's definitely worth returning to on a future trip.

Great report, Will. I was fortunate to be stationed at MCB 29 Palms for two years 68-70. Spent many evenings wandering around what was then a National Monument. It has remained one of my favorite places. I just might find myself there in the next few weeks.

Good stuff. I lived just south of JTNP in the Coachella Valley for about 4 years, but unfortunately only made it through the park once. I still kick myself for not making more time to spend in the park.

Ouch!