Amethyst Basin

MtnMatt

Watch yer top-knot
Last summer we had a trip planned to take the family into Redcastle for a couple of days. I had been telling my boys how amazing it is up there for years and was kinda anxious to go myself since I hadn't been in there for quite a few years. We had it all planned and then the week before we were to go my wife got really sick. We didn't want to go without her but it was clear we needed a new destination, one that would be a shorter, easier hike. So I chose to take us into Amethyst Basin...Ha, I know it was stupido_O Shorter hike but alot steeper, I don't know why she even listens to me most of the time.

I had planned it all out on my GPS. We were going to leave the trail just before Ostler Lake and bushwack it to a little pond up on the bench to set up camp. Then we would be in the basin without having to go all the way in and we could exlore and day hike all we wanted. That first bit of trail after the Ostler fork junction is pretty steep. The waterfalls are so cool though. I tried to take a few pics but I don't think any of them do justice.

Amethyst Basin_081811_0707.JPG
Amethyst Basin_081811_0722.JPG

The first mile after the junction was the hardest and the most spectacular. After hiking through the trees at a much easier grade we came to the place I had maked on my GPS to leave the trail. It was a pretty easy stream crossing and a short scramble up a steep little hill and our home for the next few days was there right were it was supposed to be. I love it when I get it right

Amethyst Basin_081711_0727.JPG

This was the view from our camp for the next 2 days. The wild flowers were a nice touch.

Amethyst Basin_081711_0735.JPG

not far from camp was the outlet. It kind of gives you an idea of how we were up on a bench as you can see it drops pretty quick. I hiked around this little lake and didn't see any other possible campsites but this one had it all: nice views, solitude, running water and the fishing was fast for 8 to 12 inch brookies. We got camp set up right away and Sherry crawled into the tent muttering something about this not being an easy hike. She was gone for the night. Next day was perfect. We were all rested and ready to explore. After breakfast we dropped back down to the trail and headed for Amethyst Lake. Just before the last little climb up to Amethyst we found this huge meadow with a nice little stream and tons of wildflowers. Caleb found that the little trout in this stream were willing to take just about any fly he drifted past them. they were just little guys but he loved it so I did too.

Amethyst Basin_081711_0752.JPG

I spent a summer living in Glacier Park, Mt and if I didn't know otherwise I would've thought from the look of this lake that I was back in Glacier. I haven't seen water this color in other Uinta lakes. The setting of Amethyst lake is picture perfect.

Amethyst Basin_081711_0755.JPG
Amethyst Basin_081711_0758.JPG
Amethyst Basin_081711_0759.JPG

Spent more time just napping and taking pictures here so I can't say much about the fishing. We could see them swimming around and we did catch a few but I get the feeling that this lake could have some pretty good fish in here. Regardless of the what the fishing is like this area is amazing for the scenery. I will be coming back here for sure. We got back to camp just before dark and I was tired and ready for dinner and a good nights sleep but Caleb had other ideas..we needed to catch some fish for dinner. I reluctantly got the flyrod set up and we spent the next half hour catching fish as fast as Caleb could get a fly on the water...Im really glad I didn't just sit in camp and relax like I had wanted to. Look what I would have missed

Amethyst Basin_081711_0764.JPG

This trip was one of those fly by the seat of your pants and it has turned out to be one of our favorites. Caleb is always wanting to know when we can go back. Last thing we did after packing up and heading out in the morning was enjoy some Cutlers Cookies in the backcountry. Big brother and little brother.

Amethyst Basin_081811_0703.JPG

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

That main picture caught my eye. I thought it was one of the lakes I fished in Glacier last summer. Beautiful colored water. Nice TR.

Nice! That little lake you camped at was Toomset. That's where I did my first ever backpacking trip into the Uintas many years ago. Thanks for posting!

Nice! That little lake you camped at was Toomset. That's where I did my first ever backpacking trip into the Uintas many years ago. Thanks for posting!
You got it. Nice little lake don't you think?

It was Hidden Lake. Though it is way bigger than the one you were at.
View attachment 10477
Nice picture. How did you do fishing there? I spent a summer living on Lake McDonald. Worked at the lodge. Went hiking almost every day and backpacking every week. It was a great summer. Need to get back ASAP

Dry fly fishing there was excellent. Cutthroats dimpling the surface everywhere.
Funny! We went up to the park beginning of fall, because my daughter was working at Lake McDonald Lodge. Love that park!!!