First Uintas Trip - Amethyst Basin

Jackson

I ❤️ GYE
I'll try to refrain from being too verbose since there are probably already 10 other Amethyst/Ostler Lake trip reports on here.

My wife and I were looking for a good, shorter trip to do over the weekend. Our anniversary was Saturday, but we had Friday off for Pioneer Day, so we decided we could swing a quick overnighter and still have time to go out for dinner the day we got back. Having never been to the Uintas, we decided to go see Amethyst Basin as our introduction to the range. We were not disappointed!

We started off, loving the flatness of the trail up through Christmas Meadows. We had to dodge a fair amount of horse crap on the trail the entire way up to Amethyst, unfortunately. At least the horse packers we met were all very friendly.
DSC00883.JPG

Then we huffed and puffed as we made the climb next to the cascades of the Ostler Fork. The cascades were beautiful, however.
DSC00885.JPG

We made it up through the steep stretch, but it definitely helped us realize how out of shape we are. Coming back into the flatter terrain above was a nice relief.
DSC00888.JPG DSC00891.JPG

We made it to the basin and were very impressed by the large, marshy meadows, the streams, and the peaks.
DSC00893.JPG DSC00894.JPG

We found a good spot to set up camp just below the small, I presume unnamed lake between Ostler Lake and Amethyst Lake. Anyone familiar with the place got a name for that one? There were maybe 6-8 other groups up there with us. I'd imagine that's not bad for a 3 day weekend.
DSC00895.JPG

The small lake.
DSC00897.JPG

We got our camp all set up and headed up to see Amethyst Lake. It was really windy up there, but the lake and the marshes were still quite a sight. I was happy to see wildflowers in bloom all over. You can't really see them here, sadly.
DSC00901.JPG
DSC00905.JPG
PicsArt_1438478631750.jpg
PicsArt_1438478915430.jpg
PicsArt_1438478957487.jpg
PicsArt_1438479303518.jpg

We headed back down after an hour or so and made dinner and relaxed, taking in the beauty of the place.
DSC00911.JPG

We got up the next morning and headed out around 7 a.m. We hustled and made it down in a little over 2 hours. We had a reservation at the Roof in SLC that we had to get back for (For anyone who hasn't been, the food isn't worth the price they charge).

So overall, the trip was great. Nice and quick. We're looking forward to more trips out to the Uintas.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Looks gorgeous! I'm new on here so if there are a lot of other reports on here about Ostler Lake, I haven't seen them. I've seen several from the Uinta's, it will definitely be high on the list when we finally get out west. Good job!

NIce report!. I went up there and stayed over last year. It sure is a beautiful place. You picked a good spot for your first Uintas trip. The lake between Amethyst and Oster is named BR-24 by number but it is usually reffered to as Emerald Lake. Keep the reports coming.

Thanks for the comments, all! I finally figured out how to get those images rotated properly (it's still kind of a pain in the butt), so I put a few on here just now.