Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022

BobFink

One plus of the Yellowstone online backcountry permits is you can use your imagination to link a few sites together to make a last minute trip work. My wife was recovering from a knee replacement and had not been on the trail much last year. We were looking for a bit flatter route for a long holiday weekend. The temperatures were a bit seansonally warm, close to 90 deg F, so large wildlife was a bit scarce. We crossed the Snake River many times, making the crossings a bit more enjoyable at those temperatures. I particularly enjoyed the Heart Lake Trail to and including the Basin Creek Cutoff Trail. The trail had been nicely placed with respect to the topography and flowed very well. The intersection for the Basin Creek Cutoff Trail to the Heart Lake Trail had been moved which made us and a few other hikers check our maps.

Red Creek provided water for a nice wetland next to the trail. Red Tails, Swainsons and a Kestrel were the raptors in this area. Sandhills and numerous waterfowl were also present. We camped at 8B2 our first night, which had a nice location next to Basin Creek Lake. The evening soundtrack was filled with the Sandhill Cranes Greatest Hits.

My wife Barbara at the South Entrance Kiosk and initial Snake River Crossing
IMG_1724.jpg
IMG_1725.jpg
View up the Snake River, the Heart Lake Trail would connect at the low point in the left center of the photo
IMG_1728.jpg
Looking back at the SR from the HLT
IMG_1733.jpg
Always yield the trail to a porcupine......common courtesy and common sense.
IMG_1739.jpg
Red Creek MeadowIMG_1766.jpg
Basin Creek Lake, 8B2 is to my back as I took the photo.
IMG_1769.jpg

On Day 2 we took the Basin Creek Cutoff Trail to the Heart River Trail to gain access to the Fox Creek Trail. Great meadows and wetlands in these drainages and along the river. The Fox Creek Trail starts out flat but soon climbs a bit side hilling above the snake river on a south exposure. It was quite warm on these shade less hills on a sunny warm day. We crossed paths with 3 CDT SOBO hikers on this section of trail. I thought the last 2.4 miles of the Fox Creek Trail were awesome as we approached the south boundary. I would like to have had time to explore Fox Park to Hawks Rest next time in this area. We camped at 6M7, Fox Creek on the second night. This was a nice campsite next to a small meadow only a hundreds+ yards from the Fox Patrol Cabin.

View of the SR from Fox Creek Trail
IMG_1785.jpg

Upper SR near park Boundary
IMG_1791.jpg
Trail to 6M7
IMG_1793.jpg

This was an out an back trip with the only variation being our 3rd campsite was at 8B5. This a private site tucked in the trees on Basin Creek.
Basin Creek next to 8B5, which was a nice place for a private splash.IMG_1829.jpgIMG_1834.jpg
THANKs for Reading my Trip Report.

Great shots @BobFink! I don't believe that I have ever seen a porcupine in Yellowstone before. The Basin Lake Cutoff trail had us scratching our heads for a bit too. :)

The creek by 8B5 looks so much greener and more lush than when we stayed there, just a couple weeks later.

IMG_3270.jpg

Great Photos! Great Trip Report! Thanks for posting. This brings back many memories! How much have been all over this great and wonderful piece of ground with being wild and nice as it should be.

Beautiful pictures, and a nice trip report. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Yellowstone--Heart Lake to South Entrance Backpacking 13
Outdoor_Fool Yellowstone - 9 Mile Post to South Entrance Backpacking 1
Bob Shoshone Lake to the South Entrance, Yellowstone Backpacking 5
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
Joey Backpacking Yellowstone's Snake River, Heart Lake, and South Boundary Trail Backpacking 13
isaac Yellowstone NP Campsite Reccs Trip Planning 3
Bob Island Park / Yellowstone Private Airport Development General Discussion 8
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
LarryBoy Select Peaks of the Greater Yellowstone - Second Edition (coupon code for pre-order) General Discussion 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
F Hat Recovered-Yellowstone Backcountry General Discussion 0
F Shakedown - Yellowstone Thorofare Trip Planning 13
Rockskipper @Bob or anyone know why they closed down part of the forest near W. Yellowstone? General Discussion 6
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
Bob Bear charge - Yellowstone General Discussion 1
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
I Slough Creek - Yellowstone June 5 & 6 Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Bob Yellowstone 5/8/23 - UPDATE General Discussion 9
Parashakti Late July in Yellowstone Trip Planning 9
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
Jackson Yellowstone Backcountry Lottery Results General Discussion 45
Bob Snakes in Yellowstone General Discussion 11
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
Janice Yellowstone Yurt Camp - Feb. 19-23, 2023 Trip Reports 15
TheMountainRabbit Northern Yellowstone NP - January 2023 Winter Sports 6
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
scatman A Yellowstone Love Story (Bog Creek Euphoria) - September 12, 2022 Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
Georgia Yankee Where to see/hear wolves Yellowstone NP backcountry in September? Trip Planning 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
TheMountainRabbit Pitchstone/Bechler Loop (Yellowstone NP) - September 2022 Backpacking 17
P Summer night in Yellowstone Backpacking 4
P Yellowstone, one night by a lake Backpacking 19
wsp_scott Yellowstone September 2021 Backpacking 6