backpack size for bear cannister

baltocharlie

Hey folks: I almost bought the Osprey Exos 34 this week for light bp trips of 3-7 days. But I got to thinking about a bear canister. Not necessary for most of my trips but occasionally can be. Usually my BP trips are 3-7 days. I figured the Exos 34 will not fit the canister. Do you think the Exos 46(or similar size pack) will fit one of them and still have room for gear? If I have to go larger then I'll use my old huge 65L Mnt Hrdw pack.

Thanks

So after a bunch of internet searches I found out a few things.
Exos 34: Bearvault 450 and 500 only fit vertically
Exos 46: Bearvault 450 and 500 only fit vertically
Exos 58: Bearikae weekender (horizontal only at the top), Bearvault 450 and 500 horizontal

The biggest negative to me is that the 500 does not fit horizontally in the Exos 46. But it does fit. I wonder how much room is left in the 34 once the 500 is in there.

So after a bunch of internet searches I found out a few things.
Exos 34: Bearvault 450 and 500 only fit vertically
Exos 46: Bearvault 450 and 500 only fit vertically
Exos 58: Bearikae weekender (horizontal only at the top), Bearvault 450 and 500 horizontal

The biggest negative to me is that the 500 does not fit horizontally in the Exos 46. But it does fit. I wonder how much room is left in the 34 once the 500 is in there.

I would like to know more about all of this. I am getting back into backcountry trips and have never used anything or even worried about bears before, heck, I kept my food in my tent, which I hear now is a no no. So I am looking into a bear container too and wondering the same about packs, since I am using a larger day pack right now and have not made a decision on a full pack yet.

You want to sleep with your water filter, boots and girlfriend/boyfriend NOT your food. Bear canisters are required in some areas. Not always needed but if you backpack in bear country a necessity. I went into REI and put the bear canisters into the backpack to see if it fit. If it didn't I didn't want the pack. I do not have a regular bear canister need but when I do, I don't want to buy another pack to fit the canister.

I do quite a bit of backpacking in bear country and always use a bear canister. Quite often it's not the bears trying to get into my food it's the pesky marmots and chipmunks which are sometimes worse! Until this year I've always used the Bearvault 450 and 500. I like that they're clear so you can see where things are and they're cheap. The downfall for me is I always have a problem opening the lid in the mornings and when it's cold. This year I bought a Bearikade Scout, while not cheap at $219 it's lighter, easier to open and about the same size as the 450. For packs I lean towards the lightweight packs... I have a Granite Gear Crown VC 60 and a Gossamer Mariposa both hold up to 35 lbs and accommodate a bear canister without a problem and 35lbs is a lot of gear. No need to carry a heavy pack these days unless you're mountaineering... as my good friend Warner Springs Monty always says "The Fun goes up when the weight goes down!". As I get older I appreciate this more and more!

We always manage to hang our food adequately. As far as I have seen Yosemite area and the Tetons are where required out west. Both places I usually stay away from anyway. Never had Marmots get in when hanging even on boulders. Keep a clean camp, adhere to precautions with bears and you will have minimal problems. Don't forget ANYTHING that may have a smell....including toothpaste, handlotion, chapstick, water bottles, fishing lures need to be out of your tent and out of reach...

I do quite a bit of backpacking in bear country and always use a bear canister. Quite often it's not the bears trying to get into my food it's the pesky marmots and chipmunks which are sometimes worse! Until this year I've always used the Bearvault 450 and 500. I like that they're clear so you can see where things are and they're cheap. The downfall for me is I always have a problem opening the lid in the mornings and when it's cold. This year I bought a Bearikade Scout, while not cheap at $219 it's lighter, easier to open and about the same size as the 450. For packs I lean towards the lightweight packs... I have a Granite Gear Crown VC 60 and a Gossamer Mariposa both hold up to 35 lbs and accommodate a bear canister without a problem and 35lbs is a lot of gear. No need to carry a heavy pack these days unless you're mountaineering... as my good friend Warner Springs Monty always says "The Fun goes up when the weight goes down!". As I get older I appreciate this more and more!

I'll play with the lids to see if there is a problem for me. Thanks for the heads up. The price of the Bearikade is tough to swallow. I hear you about going light. When I upgrade that's what I do. I liked the frame on the Osprey thus I sucked up the heavier weight. My gear is pretty light these days. Just finished 4 day trip in W. Va with a 28L pack. It was tight but it all fit. I do need a little bigger one though.

We always manage to hang our food adequately. As far as I have seen Yosemite area and the Tetons are where required out west. Both places I usually stay away from anyway. Never had Marmots get in when hanging even on boulders. Keep a clean camp, adhere to precautions with bears and you will have minimal problems. Don't forget ANYTHING that may have a smell....including toothpaste, handlotion, chapstick, water bottles, fishing lures need to be out of your tent and out of reach...

I always hang but have seen some amazing videos that show bears bringing down the lines. We only have to deal with blacks around here.

I think there are other places that require bear cans. I know ADK, Glacier, Sequoia and Olympic require. I also thought lots of the Sierras not just Yosemite.

Most places in the Sierras require a bear canister and the Rangers will check if they're bored or think your pack looks too small plus once you get above tree line there's no place to hang a bag. I suppose you could bury your food in the rocks but most bears will get to it. I've seen people try and hang off boulders but the critters are relentless so if you're going to try something like this you really need a ursack or something similar. When I can hang or use a bear box that's what I store my food in. They say you don't even have to hang the bag just tie it to a tree. I've never tried it but the video looks cool. In the end I figure it's better safe than sorry and carry the extra weight of the can, when I'm out for 7-10 days I need my food and I'm not giving it up to some hungry bear. If you come out to the West Coast you'll find marmots above 10k ft, there's even one that hangs out at the top of Mt Whitney and if you leave your pack for a second he'll sneak up and grab it! That little bugger is crafty and well fed!