south waterpocket fold backpack

regehr

I'm sort of daydreaming about routes for next March/April, and have been eyeing the Waterpocket Fold. For example, park at the Halls Creek Overlook, down to the creek and climb up the Red Slide, then to the top of the fold either directly or else around the Moody side via a canyon @Jammer discusses here (not the Allen Sheephunter route, but rather the canyon near the NE edge of his map). Then south along the crest of the fold, down the Baker Route, and back along Halls Creek, catching its narrows.

There'd likely be a dry camp or two up on the fold but that's doable, and spring seems the most likely time to find a full pothole or two, for example the one at 12 S 507032.00 E 4157533.00 N, or something nearby. Probably I'd not want to commit to the route without loading up with plenty of water in Jammer's canyon, which seems to have a selection of decent potholes too.

Anyhow I'm curious if anyone's walked the top of the fold in this area, it's pretty clear the rest of the route goes.

I'm sort of daydreaming about routes for next March/April, and have been eyeing the Waterpocket Fold. For example, park at the Halls Creek Overlook, down to the creek and climb up the Red Slide, then to the top of the fold either directly or else around the Moody side via a canyon @Jammer discusses here (not the Allen Sheephunter route, but rather the canyon near the NE edge of his map). Then south along the crest of the fold, down the Baker Route, and back along Halls Creek, catching its narrows.

There'd likely be a dry camp or two up on the fold but that's doable, and spring seems the most likely time to find a full pothole or two, for example the one at 12 S 507032.00 E 4157533.00 N, or something nearby. Probably I'd not want to commit to the route without loading up with plenty of water in Jammer's canyon, which seems to have a selection of decent potholes too.

Anyhow I'm curious if anyone's walked the top of the fold in this area, it's pretty clear the rest of the route goes.
Didn't @slc_dan undertake a multi day trip down at least part of the Fold to Lake Powell a few years ago? I think I recall reading a really cool writeup of it.

Didn't @slc_dan undertake a multi day trip down at least part of the Fold to Lake Powell a few years ago? I think I recall reading a really cool writeup of it.
aha I think this is it, thanks for the pointer!

There is some info on water up by cliff point in Steve Allen's C2 Steven's Canyon Walk. I was up there after a recent, and during a big storm. Water was not an issue, but I wouldn't count on it during dryer times. That area is a perfect candidate to have in your back pocket during a big storm, when you want to stay out of tight canyons.

The southern Waterpocket has some great views, fun things to explore, but it did lack huge 360 views like I was expecting. I was hoping for something like Jasper Ridge in the Maze, and it definitely wasn't that. It makes up for it in pure vastness and solitude though. The walking on top of the fold is surprisingly varied and difficult. The biggest downside is that you really need a long timeframe to get down and back out.

If you don't want to go up redslide, or the baker route, look to canyoneering approaches to the crazy canyons down south of Miller's, there are a few, and I think most of them will go right up to the ridge.

Hope that helps.

I did a similar route last summer. I can PM you the route if you want. I no longer post trip reports, trying to keep things wild out there. There are a lot of medium potholes, go after a good rain storm and they'll be full.

There is a recent video TR on the Stevens/Waterpocket Fold Allen route with a focus on water availability: part 1, part 2
We tried to do the Stevens/Fold Canyon loop last week starting at the Jacob Hamblin entry into Coyote Gulch, but my friend's approach shoe delaminated just before we hit the Escalante River, so we went climbing and did shorter hikes instead. I was surprised how much water there was given the drought.

Last edited:
There is a recent video TR on the Stevens/Waterpocket Fold Allen route with a focus on water availability: part 1, part 2
We tried to do the Stevens/Fold Canyon loop last week starting at the Jacob Hamblin entry into Coyote Gulch, but my friend's approach shoe delaminated just before we hit the Escalante River, so we went climbing and did shorter hikes instead. I was surprised how much water there was given the drought.
Bummer about your trip and thanks for the links! Finally had time to watch those long videos, that's a really amazing route.

I've been eyeing the airport shortcut route to Hall Creek Narrows to get into that area quicker and have more time to look around down there but I lack good beta about how crazy the route down is. Sure I've read the stuff on the inter webs about it but I'd like a comparison to something like say slick horn's descent, etc.

I've been eyeing the airport shortcut route to Hall Creek Narrows to get into that area quicker and have more time to look around down there but I lack good beta about how crazy the route down is. Sure I've read the stuff on the inter webs about it but I'd like a comparison to something like say slick horn's descent, etc.

I'm still debating whether to head in via the main trailhead, the airport route, or the canyoneers sneak route to the south. I plan to be down there in early March and the fact that the whole area got like 6 inches of snow the other day is certainly a factor! The canyoneers route has an overland component just to get to the cliffy area, but on the other hand it allows one to park right next to a paved road. Decisions, decisions!

I'm still debating whether to head in via the main trailhead, the airport route, or the canyoneers sneak route to the south. I plan to be down there in early March and the fact that the whole area got like 6 inches of snow the other day is certainly a factor! The canyoneers route has an overland component just to get to the cliffy area, but on the other hand it allows one to park right next to a paved road. Decisions, decisions!
If you don't post a TR I may PM you to get an idea of the route you chose.

If you don't post a TR I may PM you to get an idea of the route you chose.
Sounds good. I'm waffling a lot here. usually I just pick a route and make it happen, but this time I'll have a couple new people along. I believe them to be strong and decently competent, but fact is I don't know how they'll do picking their way down something like the airport route, or lugging a pack up the 3000 vertical feet to the top of the fold. So I'm leaning slightly towards the route normal, assuming the roads as passable, just so I can make sure about them before heading into anything more serious.

Sounds good. I'm waffling a lot here. usually I just pick a route and make it happen, but this time I'll have a couple new people along. I believe them to be strong and decently competent, but fact is I don't know how they'll do picking their way down something like the airport route, or lugging a pack up the 3000 vertical feet to the top of the fold. So I'm leaning slightly towards the route normal, assuming the roads as passable, just so I can make sure about them before heading into anything more serious.

Yeah I will do the same as @John Morrow and ask about the route you took too. I'm not familiar with the canyoneering route. Can you either post a link or DM me the details? TY

Yeah I will do the same as @John Morrow and ask about the route you took too. I'm not familiar with the canyoneering route. Can you either post a link or DM me the details? TY
No need for DM, it's online here:

No need for DM, it's online here:
@regehr Are you thinking continuing his approach to the top of the Reef is a good option? I am starting to gain interest in this idea!

Sepatrately, can someone tell me how they get the username hotlink into these reply's. As you can see it didn't work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sepatrately, can someone tell me how they get the username hotlink into these reply's. As you can see it didn't work for me.

@John Morrow - you type @ and without a space in between you continue typing the username and a list of similar user IDs pops up. You click on that userID and it's inserted.

for example for you, I start typing @John and then 5 user ID's close to yours "pop up" to choose from". I click your username .... and it gets inserted in the text

https://backcountrypost.com/members/regehr.170/ Are you thinking continuing his approach to the top of the Reef is a good option? I am starting to gain interest in this idea!

I was not able to convince myself that it is workable to continue up the reef from where the canyoneers enter Laughing Baboon, and was planning on either heading S to the Baker trail or else finding a route within a mile or so of the Baker trail. The terrain down there just looks a lot more doable.