Cedar Mesa Backpack in October

SKLund

Has anyone done it? I looked through the trip reports and could not find anything in the Fall season. My interest of course is water. The rest I have covered so I would like to know if anyone has been there in the Fall and what the hydration situation was like. If you live in the area, was it a wet Summer?

I'm planning on going in from Collins Gulch or Government Trail. Planning on hauling at least a day's worth of water.

Last edited:
October is a fabulous time to be on the Colorado Plateau and Cedar Mesa is no exception. The only down side is that the days are getting pretty short.

I have made many trips on Cedar Mesa in October, best time of year IMO. Fewer people, not as hot. You should not need to carry that much water. You will find water, especially in the areas you are considering. Ask the BLM people in Monticello before you go.
There are quite a few people on BCP that are familiar with this area and possibly have had different experiences. We did once have some dry stretches (not long), in a drought year in 1983, but did not have a problem from Collins Spring to the Kane Gulch Ranger Station.

Last edited:
I have made many trips on Cedar Mesa in October, best time of year IMO. Fewer people, not as hot. You should not need to carry that much water. You will find water, especially in the areas you are considering. Ask the BLM people in Monticello before you go.
There are quite a few people on BCP that are familiar with this area and possibly have had different experiences. We did once have some dry stretches (not long), in a drought year in 1983, but did not have a problem from Collins Spring to the Kane Gulch Ranger Station.

Thanks will do.

Back