Backpack Question

Aldaron

Okay, I got a new backpack a couple of months ago, and FINALLY got a chance to use it last night up towards Allsop Lake. The pack is the Osprey Atmos 65. It was bought to replace my Kelty Moraine 3600...you know, because I thought it was time to enter the 21st century with my backpack. Actually, that's not true, if it hadn't been for a negative confrontation with the Boy Scout Exit of Coyote Gulch and a busted bottle of 100% Deet a couple of weeks later in The Needles, then I would still be happily carrying my 10+ year old backpack. But, alas, I did need to replace it, and the Atmos had all of the features I was looking for.

But during the hike yesterday, I noticed that my right hip...really, slightly below the hip...was getting sore. It felt like something was pressing into my muscle, but feeling around, it didn't feel like the pack was anywhere near the muscle that hurt and nothing was pressing into me. So I decided that the muscle was just getting sore very quickly. Now that I'm back, the muscle is sore...I don't think it's bruised.

So my question: is it possible that my old Kelty pack just didn't set on my hips correctly, and now this pack is setting correctly, so my muscles are sore from adjusting to the weight distribution?

Or does anyone else have a negative experience with this pack? Does it not set right?

I don't think this is a simple case of just being out of shape from the winter...I don't remember ever feeling this pain in the past.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded question, but thanks for the help!

I would assume that they both sit differently and that you haven't spent enough time with the new pack or gotten it adjusted just right for you yet.. You could also be loading the wight differently in this pack causing it to ride differently as well..

Hmm.. I don't know. My first inclination would be that maybe it's not fitted correctly but that's a total shot in the dark. Definitely a possibility that you were just used to your old pack fitting odd and now this one is different. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people tend to wear their packs way too low on their hips. Just curious, do you know how much weight you were packing? As far as the Atmos hurting, I don't own one but I have several friends that do that have had nothing but great things to say about them. As for me, I've loved every one of my Osprey packs, Aether, Kestrel and Stratos. If I were in the market for a 50L pack, I'd probably get an Atmos...

I have an 2012 Atmos 50 and I must wear it higher than my other packs while hiking. The metal frame tapers at the bottoms and if I ride "too low" it works into my hips. If you have a 2012 you should be able to adjust your shoulder straps 1" then toss some weight in there and see if its still hits you sore spot.

Hmmm...yeah, I wonder if it's setting too low. It didn't feel like the frame was digging into me, but maybe I was just checking it on flat ground. I guess I need to try playing with it more on the trail next weekend. I thought maybe it was too big for me, but I double-checked my torso measurement, and I'm well into the medium range. I also measured the old pack, and it was actually bigger. I don't know. I'll try fiddling with it some more and give it another couple of trips to see if I can adjust it to me, or if I can adjust to it.

I have an older Atmos and have had trouble with the bottom edges of the back board causing hip soreness/pain. I'll probably DIY some type of a pad for it before my next trip. Part of it is weight distribution but I believe part of it is design as well because my other Osprey pack is fine.

My hips and shoulders start hurting just looking at my pack, so I can't help except to say that anything you strap to your back and load up is going to take time to get used to. Not very helpful I guess.

Well, it just occurred to me that with my old pack my shoulders would hurt at the beginning of the season...but my shoulders aren't hurting after yesterday at all. That suggests that the load is setting differently...which is probably a good thing.

I also find that if I cinch the hip straps too much, it cuts off my circulation, or presses a nerve in such a way that my upper leg, very near the front of my hip bone starts hurting. It makes walking uncomfortable. I have figured out how to balance the weight between my shoulders and hip belts in such a way that I don't have to tighten the hip belt to that point.

After using the pack again this past weekend, it felt really good. I don't have any shoulder pain like I used to have with my old pack, and this time I didn't have any hip pain. I think it was just a matter of the weight being distributed somewhere else, and my hip muscles needed to adjust. The thing breathes great, and my back doesn't sweat nearly as much as it did it in my old pack.

Bottom line, I think I'm going to be happy.

Now I just have to see if my new solo BearVault will fit in it this weekend as we head up to the Gros Ventre.

Yeah, and the place I'm trying to get to is above tree line, so I figured it was time to break down and buy a bear canister.

Stepped in a big pile of hot steamy bear dung on a hike yesterday. Not GRIZ, but.....I decided to cut my hike short.

I love Osprey. I have an Osprey Raptor 18 for biking. A Talon 22 & Talon 11 for day hikes. A Talon 44 for traveling light & when I want to travel abroad but not check my bags. And an Aether 85 for longer trips when I need to bring a lot of gear.

I tried the Atmos out. I loved the design. But I found that the suspension system, as cool as it is allowing airflow....that it was uncomfortable when heavily loaded. While the Aether seemed like I was carrying nothing...an equally loaded Atmos felt like I was carrying twice as much. I really felt it.

I think that's because of the suspension system, the pack & the load sit farther out from your back which creates more pull and a weighted heavier feel.

When packed light, its great.

I just preferred the way the Aether hugged my back.