To Do in 2014

Just realized the world cup in summer this year. So no major outings between mid-june to mid-july for me.

March: Moab
April: Coyote Gulch
June: Labyrinth Canyon
July: Uintas
Sept: Little Wildhorse Canyon & Goblin Valley

I'm looking to test my teen agers a little more this summer in the Uintas. Would like to do a 30 mile route.
Any route suggestions for the neighborhood of 30 miles would be appreciated.

I'm looking to test my teen agers a little more this summer in the Uintas. Would like to do a 30 mile route.
Any route suggestions for the neighborhood of 30 miles would be appreciated.

In my opinion, one of the best bang-for-buck routes is the hike from West Fork Blacks Fork to the Highline Trail via Dead Horse and Rocky Sea passes. It's a bit more than 30 miles but the first 10 up WFBF is a cake walk and the scenery is top notch throughout, especially if you stay high in Rock Creek. Take your time in there! ;) I've done it twice, once in each direction. It obviously requires a shuttle, but it is SO worth it. Here is my trip report from when I did it the Highline -> WFBF direction. I forgot my camera in the car when I did it the other way solo. Didn't realize it until my shuttle vehicle was already gone! :facepalm:

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/uintas-highline-th-to-west-fork-blacks-fork.50/

My list for 2014:

April- Little Wild horse, Wild Horse Canyon, Horse Shoe Canyon and High Spur (non-technical)

May- Hiking Craters Of the Moon and City of the Rocks

June- Hiking around Crater Lake and In Jedediah Smith Stare Park

July- Backpacking in the Sawtooth Wilderness Area (Start at Redfish Lake, Cramer Lake, Hidden Lake, Edna Lake, Farly Lake, and out Yellow Belly Lake)

August- Hopefully something in Yellowstone with the whole family.

September- Coyote Gulch and Peek a boo, Spooky, Brimstone Slots

OH BOY...

Last edited:
Lots of great ideas folks, has me re-thinking our plans:thumbsdown: ...anyway, here's what the wife and I are finalizing for this year (very flexible of course).

This weekend: Zion NP (Weather is supposed to be nice and warm)
The usual: Observation Point, Angels Landing, Hidden Canyon to get the blood pumping,...shake out the winter bugs.

Couple weekends in April: Moab area, undecided on where, looking for suggestions/somewhere new and off the beaten trail...have to avoid Jeep Safari thou.

7 days in May
Paria Canyon/Coyote Buttes South
Escalante NM area
Canyonlands-Maze area

Two weeks in June:
Yosemite (Half Dome?)
Kings Canyon, CA
Mammoth Lakes-John Muir Wilderness, CA (+++ for great restuarants in town)
Tahoe (Tahoe Rim-PCT)

Late July
Glacier NP Area??

Long August Weekends
Teton NP (Couple nights in Cascade Canyon)
Uinta's (Kings Peak?)

And as a long shot..., Sept...Maine/Acadia NP??...hella lobster & wine. Tried to make it last year but couldn't, so added it to "the list" for another shot.

Rob, it sounds like we may be crossing paths a few times this year. I'll probably be at ZNP this weekend too. If you see anyone so ugly he's stopping traffic, you'll know it was me.

That's one I've been wanting to do for a while. Seems like there aren't a lot of trip reports around for that one.

You're welcome to join me. It's probably going to be a last-minute trip. I'll probably end up on a Thursday saying "I don't have much to do on a weekend, Bryce sounds nice" then zip down there.

Weather is looking good in Moab this weekend, too. That's where I'll be
I'll be in Moab this weekend, too. I was going to drive Beef Basin based on one of your trip reports, but from what I was reading last night it looks like it's probably snowed in this time of year. Any good roads you would suggest? I was thinking about Lockhart Basin.

I'll be in Moab this weekend, too. I was going to drive Beef Basin based on one of your trip reports, but from what I was reading last night it looks like it's probably snowed in this time of year. Any good roads you would suggest? I was thinking about Lockhart Basin.

The main road into Beef Basin is probably snowed in this time of the year...but you could always get there over Elephant Hill if you wanted to. I did Lockhart Basin in October and enjoyed the drive....camped in the middle and caught a great sunset/sunrise....but the short canyon on the Moab side is a bit difficult...even in my Jeep I hit the rock rails pretty good. http://adventr.co/2013/10/lockhart-basin-to-moab/

Of course, you could always skip that section and enter/exit from 211 near the Needles. The rest of the road is pretty easy.

I'll be taking my girlfriend on the Hells Revenge trail at some point since she's never been on a real Jeep trail before...and that one's a classic :)

Yeah, I saw your Lockhart pictures earlier...I was hoping I could just keep from falling off that rock :)

But I'm also a little antsy about pushing my luck in my new truck. So I'd kinda rather just do a non-technical desert drive. Maybe we'll just hike around Arches or Needles.