To Do in 2014

Yeah, I saw your Lockhart pictures earlier...I was hoping I could just keep from falling off that rock :)

But I'm also a little antsy about pushing my luck in my new truck. So I'd kinda rather just do a non-technical desert drive. Maybe we'll just hike around Arches or Needles.

That rock isn't the only obstacle in that canyon...there were a few tricky ones...that's just the one I messed up on ;)

If you are going to be in Arches...the easy 4x4 road to Eye of the Whale / Tower Arch is a nice short drive that you can hike from and usually not see anyone else. I was thinking about hitting that one up, too.

That rock isn't the only obstacle in that canyon...there were a few tricky ones...that's just the one I messed up on ;)

If you are going to be in Arches...the easy 4x4 road to Eye of the Whale / Tower Arch is a nice short drive that you can hike from and usually not see anyone else. I was thinking about hitting that one up, too.

Yeah, I'm going to have to get over my timidness with this new truck, too...that's why I got it in the first place!

I'll check out the Tower Arch area. I may also see about the Ten Mile Canyon area.

Thanks for the info. If I see you down there, I'll stop in and say hi!

One of my favorite off-road drives in Moab is from Shaefer Switchbacks (starting the white rim trail) down to potash road. it passes below Dead Horse Point, and takes 4-6 hours. Such an incredible drive, and nothing technical that will require any bumpers or skid plates. I wonder if the switchbacks have snow on them this time of year?

One of my favorite off-road drives in Moab is from Shaefer Switchbacks (starting the white rim trail) down to potash road. it passes below Dead Horse Point, and takes 4-6 hours. Such an incredible drive, and nothing technical that will require any bumpers or skid plates. I wonder if the switchbacks have snow on them this time of year?

I'm pretty sure that Shafer switchbacks are currently closed.

I've done part of that road from the Moab side. Yeah, that's a good drive.

Rob, it sounds like we may be crossing paths a few times this year.

SSS,
Seen you may be doing "Half Dome" this year...have you scored your permits already, ever had problems getting them? I got locked out of my time frame last year, but gonna try and be a bit more flexible this year.

March
Camping and then hot pools @ Lava Hot Springs, Idaho
April
Camp and hike @ Zion NP
May
Camping near Green Canyon and then hot pools @ Driggs, Idaho
June
Glacier climb of Middle Teton @ GTNP
July
Phelps Lake backpacking with wife and kids @ GTNP
Camping/Hiking in Bridger-Teton NF (probably hike Table Rock/Mountain again this year) @ Driggs, Idaho
Upper Palisades/Waterfall Canyon @ Idaho
August
Sawtooths/Redfish Lake/White Clouds @ Stanley, Idaho
The Gorge @ Washington

Last edited:
September- Coyote Gulch and Peek a boo, Spooky, Brimstone Slots

Hope for better weather than Sep 2013! I visited from UK and was hoping to do CG and a few days down HIRR then but it was a total washout, all backcountry roads around Escalante closed :( I'm coming back in June to try again...

SSS,
Seen you may be doing "Half Dome" this year...have you scored your permits already, ever had problems getting them? I got locked out of my time frame last year, but gonna try and be a bit more flexible this year.

Reservations are available up to 24 weeks (168 days) in advance when the wilderness permit reservation office is open (late November through September).

We're going in October, so we can't get our permits yet. You can also show up the day before and wait in line. They issue 25 permits every day (but as you can imagine, the demand is high). I hiked Half Dome as a teen, and it was before the permit thing. Incredible hike. Definitely do whatever it takes to get out there.

(@sixstringsteve , June?)
Although, I cringe a little at the hoop jumping of backpacking in a National Park

I share in your cringing. Overnight trips in NPs aren't really my cup of tea, but this looks like a fun one. From the little amount of research I did, there weren't any advanced reservations. You need a backcountry permit, which they issue on a first come, first serve until they're full. I believe they also require bear canisters for overnight backcountry trips.

It'd be possible to hike the whole trail in a day, but that feels like rushing it. I wouldn't want to rush it. June seems like it'd be busy, but I could be up for that.

Last edited:
I cringe a little at the hoop jumping of backpacking in a National Park

Here are the restrictions for backpacking at Bryce. Not too bad for a NP.

BACKCOUNTRY HIKES AND CAMPING:
The Under-the-Rim Trail extends 23 miles from Bryce Point to Rainbow Point and has eight backcountry campsites. The Riggs Spring Loop Trail (8.8 miles round trip) from Yovimpa Point has four backcountry sites. Both trails drop below the rim of the plateau and lead through forested areas. A backcountry permit is required for all overnight hiking. Permits are available at the Visitor Center and range from $5 to $15 depending on number of campers. Click here for more information.

Permits must be obtained in-person and are issued at the park visitor center from 8:00 a.m. until one hour before the Visitor Center closes. No phone or e-mail reservations will be accepted. In-person reservations may be made up to 48 hours in advance. Park staff reserves the right to refuse permits to parties that fail to demonstrate the necessary preparedness that Bryce Canyon's high and dry backcountry demands.

Bryce Canyon's backcountry is a primitive area managed according to regulations that protect its wilderness values. Backcountry camping is allowed on a limited basis and ONLY at designated campsites. Download the Backcountry brochure (690K) in PDF for more information, regulations, and preparedness guidelines.

NOTE: Open fires are NOT PERMITTED in Bryce Canyon's backcountry!

The summer of 2012 has seen an increase in the number of human/bear encounters. UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, we are REQUIRING that backcountry campers store their food in bear-resistant canisters. Hanging food is insufficient!Please bring your own approved bear-resistant canister with you, or you may borrow a canister (free-of-charge) from the visitor center when you obtain your backcountry permit.

Last edited:
Park staff reserves the right to refuse permits to parties that fail to demonstrate the necessary preparedness that Bryce Canyon's high and dry backcountry demands.
I've always had this fear that, despite backpacking hundreds of miles every year, someday a park ranger is going to deem me to be unworthy and refuse to issue me a permit. Man, talk about an ego blow!

Haha. I think it's more to hold back the person heading in with sandals and their ipad and 500ml of water.

Last edited:
I like to keep my website with all the trip reports handy, just in case!

Your street cred will keep you from getting turned away. Just tell them you're Aldaron from BCP, and they may just hand you the keys to the entire establishment.

Here are the restrictions for backpacking at Bryce. Not too bad for a NP.

Also note that in Bryce it's very easy to hike a short distance east out of the park and into the national forest where you don't need a permit and fires are allowed. Here's one such spot:

p77314480-5.jpg

- JG

"They issue 25 permits every day (but as you can imagine, the demand is high). I hiked Half Dome as a teen, and it was before the permit thing. Incredible hike. Definitely do whatever it takes to get out there."

True...but remember, they now only allow a maximum of 300 hikers each day on the Half Dome Trail beyond the base of the subdome. You have to apply for both permits (Dome and Backcountry) at the same time. I'd hate to make the trip out there and get turned around at the cables.

@Rob - you can hit the 'Reply' button and the site will auto-quote the post you want to reply to and send a notification to that poster that you quoted their post. ;)