To Do in 2014

Very cool, that'd be great. My wife will be especially excited to meet another backcountry gal. We're staying at the four corners adventure lodge in Blanding. There's room for you if you don't feel like tenting it.

Are there camping spots in Valley of the Gods? That might be a really fun option.

Very cool, that'd be great. My wife will be especially excited to meet another backcountry gal. We're staying at the four corners adventure lodge in Blanding. There's room for you if you don't feel like tenting it.

Are there camping spots in Valley of the Gods? That might be a really fun option.

I know @IntrepidXJ has camped there before. For me it would be the first time in the area. I have camped before at Muley Point and Goosenecks a few years back.
And I don't mind to camp in January and in the snow. I have to start somewhere soon so I can keep up with the many camp nights I had last year. :)

cool. I didn't know there was camping in there. I could be convinced to spend a night out there.

Awesome. Is it open camping wherever you want, or are there established camping spots you need to stay in?

That's the best kind of camping. Hm... that is really tempting.

I finally got my 2014 plans nailed down to the month. Anyone who wants to join is welcome.

January
17-19: Bluff Hot Air Balloon Festival, Comb Ridge, Valley of the Gods, + Ruins

February
Date TBD: Moab (Via Ranch Road, to Sand Dunes, etc)
Date TBD: Bone Cave

March
Date TBD: Maze District, Dollhouse

April
Date TBD: Blue John Canyon

May
Date TBD: Reservation Ridge, Nine Mile Canyon, San Rafael Swell
Late May: Canoe/Kayak the Green River - 3 night

June
Date TBD: Escalante, Coyote Gulch, Calf Creek Falls, Boulder Mail Trail

July
Date TBD: Elephant Hill, Beef Basin, Blanding
Date TBD: Lake Hardy, Lone Peak, Pfeiferhorn

Aug
Date TBD: Ouray Colorado (Cody to plan)
Date TBD: Wind Rivers? Uintas?

Sept
Date TBD (After school starts): California Trip: Yosemite (Half Dome), Santa Barbara, Big Sur, Monterrey, San Francisco, Redwoods

Oct
Date TBD: Kanab, Buckskin, Barracks Trail

Nov
Thanksgiving Weekend: Goshute Caves, NV + Great Basin NP

Dec
Date TBD: Ashley National Forest Yurts
Date TBD: Bryce Canyon Snowshoe + XC Ski
DUDE!!!!!!

I'm not planning too much, but a few things I've been meaning to do for years.

the maze.
Hall's Creek into Steven's canyon, and out Scorpion, or Coyote gulch.
some good backcountry Grand Canyon
more Dirty Devil
connect a route from Northern Paria into Hackberry. (there's plenty of routes, I'll probably head up the same canyon @Jammer did)

Winter camping has been great, but I could really use a good 2-3 day spring time backpacking trip.

Edit: oh yeah! I'd like learn how to do some kind of rope assisted peak in the Winds or Uintas, as well as something slightly technical, such as Lower Black Box in the swell.

I'm not planning too much, but a few things I've been meaning to do for years.

the maze.
Hall's Creek into Steven's canyon, and out Scorpion, or Coyote gulch.
some good backcountry Grand Canyon
more Dirty Devil
connect a route from Northern Paria into Hackberry. (there's plenty of routes, I'll probably head up the same canyon @Jammer did)

Winter camping has been great, but I could really use a good 2-3 day spring time backpacking trip.

Edit: oh yeah! I'd like learn how to do some kind of rope assisted peak in the Winds or Uintas, as well as something slightly technical, such as Lower Black Box in the swell.
Take me! Your backpacking wishlist is awesome!!! rope assist? paging @langutah paging @langutah.

The only definite I have is the high line trail. There is a Hike into the mountains behind where i grew up in Idaho (don't know the name of it) that I need to do again, Last time I tried a multi day into the area my brother and i had to bug out in a hurry do to an electrical storm that was moving in on us. Probably spend some time in the uintas with my wife. I really want to get to southern utah and explore there.

I'm heading to the Bluff Balloon festival, too. I will camp somewhere in the are, probably Valley of the Gods, Muley Point or Goosenecks. Would be nice to meet up at some point.

How does Valley of the Gods sound for Saturday night? That way we'll be right there for the sunrise fly over the Valley of the Gods on Sunday morning. IntrepidXJ, you in?

How does Valley of the Gods sound for Saturday night? That way we'll be right there for the sunrise fly over the Valley of the Gods on Sunday morning. IntrepidXJ, you in?

I've got a room in Blanding on Saturday night....but I will be out at VoG before sunrise on Sunday

I'm hoping to have a pretty eventful year.

Trips that are already planned
•Notch Peak-West Desert in April
•Tetons-Yellowstone in June
•Zion in April
•Bear River cabins-Christmas Meadows with the family and 2 kids in July. This will be my family's first introduction to the Uintas.
•Colorado Ouray area-Black Canyon NP at the end of September/October
•Zion first week in November

Trips I am trying to make happen
•Windrivers (green river lakes/three forks park). I am currently trying to find someone to go with so if anyone is interested let me know! I would want to make basecamp in three forks park for a few nights and leisurely explore the surrounding areas for a few days.
•Uintas. I am hoping to make a few trips into the Uintas this summer. Spots I want to hit are Deadhorse Lake, Allsop Lake, and probably Amethyst Lake. Alternatively Nick's hike from East Fork Blacks Fork to the Highline TH looks pretty amazing. Again if that sounds interesting to anyone let me know, I would love to not have to go solo.

I'm hoping to have a pretty eventful year.

Trips that are already planned
•Notch Peak-West Desert in April
•Tetons-Yellowstone in June
•Zion in April
•Bear River cabins-Christmas Meadows with the family and 2 kids in July. This will be my family's first introduction to the Uintas.
•Colorado Ouray area-Black Canyon NP at the end of September/October
•Zion first week in November

Trips I am trying to make happen
•Windrivers (green river lakes/three forks park). I am currently trying to find someone to go with so if anyone is interested let me know! I would want to make basecamp in three forks park for a few nights and leisurely explore the surrounding areas for a few days.
•Uintas. I am hoping to make a few trips into the Uintas this summer. Spots I want to hit are Deadhorse Lake, Allsop Lake, and probably Amethyst Lake. Alternatively Nick's hike from East Fork Blacks Fork to the Highline TH looks pretty amazing. Again if that sounds interesting to anyone let me know, I would love to not have to go solo.

Hey Andy,
I am also interested in, at least couple of your trips you're trying to make it happen. I am particularly interested in canoe-camping the green river lakes, seems like a decent spot to take out a canoe for few days. Also interested in backpacking in uintas. It's still few months out and I am still looking around for a decent canoe, hopefully will have one soon.