To Do in 2014

If I don't move this spring, I've got my eye on doing a packraft/backpacking trip down the Flathead River in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in late June. Anyone up for joining me?

And whether I move or not, I'll probably do a week in the Winds and a few days in the Flat Tops in Colorado in the fall.

And, of course, all the weekends in between!

For my international trip, I'm planning to take a break from doing a backpacking trip and going to check out Ireland and Scotland.

I love planning my trips!

This is the same problem I end up having every year, but it's compounded because I only have 3 weeks vacation a year to work with. Working for the man sucks!

I would love some company! I was thinking April or early May. Based on your list it sounds like you don't have anything planned for that time of year, so I'll send you a pm and tell you the specific dates I'm looking at.

Darn, that time is not going to work.:cry:. Since I represent school employees March-early June is crazy busy, and my vacation time runs June-May so I've also used up all my time until June 1, 2014. Damn, I've always wanted to do Paria River too. I guess I'll just have to enjoy your trip report and kick myself!

Darn, that time is not going to work.:cry:. Since I represent school employees March-early June is crazy busy, and my vacation time runs June-May so I've also used up all my time until June 1, 2014. Damn, I've always wanted to do Paria River too. I guess I'll just have to enjoy your trip report and kick myself!

Bummer! I know how that goes. I'm out of vacation time until April, and I thought Paria would be a great way to kick off the season. I guess we'll have to see if I actually make it out there this spring or not. I've been fiddling around with my 2014 Word calendar, and sadly I've got to do a lot of whittling down from my ideas list I posted.:( If not this spring, then maybe 2015.

Bummer! I know how that goes. I'm out of vacation time until April, and I thought Paria would be a great way to kick off the season. I guess we'll have to see if I actually make it out there this spring or not. I've been fiddling around with my 2014 Word calendar, and sadly I've got to do a lot of whittling down from my ideas list I posted.:( If not this spring, then maybe 2015.

Spring 2015 I can do! :D

Time .......... where does it go .......... :rolleyes:

July - Great Basin National Park

Two nights at Baker Lake

Early August - Yellowstone National Park

Seven night trip beginning at Beaula Lake, hiking off-trail up drainage onto the Pitchstone Plateau; once on the plateau, explore it for a day. Head off-trail across the plateau then drop down into the Bechler River drainage. Follow the river downstream, then curve around the plateau back to the east to check out Union Falls before exiting the backcountry.

Early September - Yellowstone National Park

Six night trip into the Wapiti Lake area. Take a few days to explore the Hot Springs Basin Group along with White, Tern and Fern Lakes before heading off-trail down Sour Creek to Wrangler Lake then out.

Wapiti Lake

Planning a week camping trip down near Escalante this spring. Also this spring a 10 day trip in the very southern Mexican Yucatan (Xcalak) just north of Belize for a friends B-day. Bone fishing, margaritas and snorkeling!! YeeHaw!! A week in Sept around Green River and the Swell.
Dream trip? I hope is Vancouver Island late Summer with some ocean kayaking on the wild west coast along with some coho and King salmon fishing. This will happen.... within a couple years if not this year.
Hey @Aldaron let me know when you plan on hitting the Flattops wilderness. I see them from my house window just to the south here in Steamboat Spgs. I usually take a trip or three for flowers, fishing and foliage.

Hey @Aldaron let me know when you plan on hitting the Flattops wilderness. I see them from my house window just to the south here in Steamboat Spgs. I usually take a trip or three for flowers, fishing and foliage.

Will do. I was there a few years ago, but nasty storms sent us scurrying home earlier than I had planned, so I want to go back.

This year I want to take the boys into the Uintas.
What is the best time of year to hike up there?

Any time after July 1st and before September 30th is usually okay, with the first couple of weeks and last couple of weeks dependent upon the weather and snow. My favorite time is early September after the bugs and people have gone.

do you have any dates in mind for this? Might be able to pull the wind rivers the maze would just be a matter of when you'd be going.

The Maze will definitely be for 3-4 nights over Memorial Day weekend

I want to do the Winds right after my Yellowstone trip between 8/11-8/19.
There is room for a possible extra night on this trip. Super stoked about this trip

For late spring, mostly backpacking:

- Upper Gulch, Laminate Arch
- Lower Gulch, unnamed Slots, Boulder Creek
- Escalante to Sand Creek
- BMT, western part and DH down
- Crack in the Wall
- other things along HITR and around Boulder and Escalante

in August you have less mosquitoes
otherwise I agree, July to mid September is great.

I can deal with most anything, except mosquitoes and gnats.
Looking mid to late August. Thank you.

Permit lottery applications are in for river trips on the San Juan and Green through Desolation. Fingers crossed.

San Juan, Yes. Looks like you can float all the way to clay hills. No need for a motor or oaring out.

I finally got my 2014 plans nailed down to the month. Anyone who wants to join is welcome.

January
17-19: Bluff Hot Air Balloon Festival, Comb Ridge, Valley of the Gods, + Ruins

February
Date TBD: Moab (Via Ranch Road, to Sand Dunes, etc)
Date TBD: Bone Cave

March
Date TBD: Maze District, Dollhouse

April
Date TBD: Blue John Canyon

May
Date TBD: Reservation Ridge, Nine Mile Canyon, San Rafael Swell
Late May: Canoe/Kayak the Green River - 3 night

June
Date TBD: Escalante, Coyote Gulch, Calf Creek Falls, Boulder Mail Trail

July
Date TBD: Elephant Hill, Beef Basin, Blanding
Date TBD: Lake Hardy, Lone Peak, Pfeiferhorn

Aug
Date TBD: Ouray Colorado (Cody to plan)
Date TBD: Wind Rivers? Uintas?

Sept
Date TBD (After school starts): California Trip: Yosemite (Half Dome), Santa Barbara, Big Sur, Monterrey, San Francisco, Redwoods

Oct
Date TBD: Kanab, Buckskin, Barracks Trail

Nov
Thanksgiving Weekend: Goshute Caves, NV + Great Basin NP

Dec
Date TBD: Ashley National Forest Yurts
Date TBD: Bryce Canyon Snowshoe + XC Ski