Site Updates

Nick

-
For those checking in late tonight, the site won't look quite right. I'm working on some big updates and I decided to just do it live. Should be fun to see when (or if) I get to bed tonight! :)

Okay, it's 3am and I'm giving up and going to bed. I think I got almost everything except the trail guides system going pretty good, although I still need to test in other browsers and on mobile devices so I'm sure there is still a lot of stuff wrong. There are a bunch of new features with this new site design that I think people are going to like, in particular the new post editor and some of it's features.

upload_2014-1-23_3-1-49.png
:)

....There are a bunch of new features with this new site design that I think people are going to like, in particular the new post editor and some of it's features.

View attachment 14460
:)

I like that I am now getting the article in my RSS feeds instead of just the title with a link. Helps sort through what I want to read better now. This is awesome! Thanks.

Hey, I made the list of "Notable Members*" :dance: Thanks for all your work on this Nick!

*aka "Members With Too Much Time on Their Hands at Work"

Last edited:
Those of you who have been using Tapatalk may want to try the site in a regular browser on your phones and tablets. The new design is very mobile-friendly despite a few bugs I'm still working out. :)

Have you thought about adding a paddling section to separate water-based trips?

that sounds like a job for a snow day a fridge full of quality beer.
I personally like the way you have things organized, this is one of the better structured forums I've seen. I hope to add some actual hiking trips soon, but I keep cramming myself into a little plastic boat.

Why, thank you. :)

On that note, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas on how to make this place more awesome, now is a good time as I will be hammering away on these updates for the better part of the next week. There are still some surprises coming...

I don't know if it's possible, or if other people want it, but I'd love for the "new posts" button to default to all recent posts (not just the unread ones). Maybe that's a setting on my end I can fix?

Seriously, the layout, design, and format of the site is excellent.

I don't know if it's possible, or if other people want it, but I'd love for the "new posts" button to default to all recent posts (not just the unread ones). Maybe that's a setting on my end I can fix?

Seriously, the layout, design, and format of the site is excellent.

Thanks, Steve. I'll look into that. At the very least, I should be able to add a button next to the 'new posts' that displays all recent posts automatically.

I guess what I want is for older "unread" posts to drop off the list after a set period of time (or after each visit).

There's another forum I frequent and I like how they do it. They show all new posts since the last time you visited, and everything older gets dropped off the list.

I guess I could click "mark all as read" each time I click "new posts" and that would do the same thing. I do, however, love the "recent posts" button to show what's the most recent (even if it isn't "new" since my last visit). Don't make any changes if I'm the only one who wants them though.

another idea... is there an option to show who's looking at a post at a given time? For example, when you're reading a thread, there could be a list at the bottom that shows which members (and # of guests) are watching the thread at that given moment.

I think I saw someone had coded a program for something like that but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'll put it on the 'maybe later' list. :)

Great work......