GSMNP Site 52

The Splitter

Hey guys and gals! The girlfriend and I are going to be heading up to GSMNP late this month for some hiking with friends. We're going to be doing one additional loop before our friends meet us at Deep Creek campground.

Has anyone stayed at site 52? Also, we're going to be base camping at Deep Creek and then taking Indian Creek Trail to Sunkota Ridge Trail to site 52, stay over nite and take Thomas Divide to Deeplow back to Indian Creek Trail to Deep Creek Campground.

Is this a good route to take? What's the water situation and view like from 52?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howdee Dr. Cornwallis:

I hope to be wrong and you do indeed get a helpful response here but most of us are in the Mountain time Zone. If you can't get help here people at Whiteblaze could surely answer your questions and share opinions. Unfortunately backpacker.com's forums are a serious malaise right now but if you can get in the Southern forum is also a great resource.

Enjoy your deciduous paradise,

John

He's mostly right, but we've been getting a pretty good crew out east lately. I wouldn't be surprised if someone can help you out.

Just wanted to say thanks for recommendation to whiteblaze. They were able to give me some great information on the site as well as the best routes there and back. We will be leaving on wed morning and on the trail thurs morning.

I do want to start making it out west next year, or maybe early fall this year if time and budget permits. Where would the folks here recommend to start hiking in the west? I was thinking of doing a section of the Colorado trail perhaps?

I've camped at 52, but came up from the road. That was back in the late 90's, and it was snowing. I haven't done your route idea, but I've been up Deep Creek numerous times. I love that place. It would be awesome if you posted some pictures or a trip report when your done.

I've camped at 52, but came up from the road. That was back in the late 90's, and it was snowing. I haven't done your route idea, but I've been up Deep Creek numerous times. I love that place. It would be awesome if you posted some pictures or a trip report when your done.

Absolutely! As I'm getting more and more into backpacking I'm going to start doing trip reports. I'll definitely be doing one for Deep Creek.

Check out the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness and Citico Creek Wilderness on the TN/NC borders some time. Its rough country but it has some views that rival the Smokies, tons of waterfalls and no crowds or permits.

Check out the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness and Citico Creek Wilderness on the TN/NC borders some time. Its rough country but it has some views that rival the Smokies, tons of waterfalls and no crowds or permits.
SHHHHH!!!!

Haha. I will admit I do enjoy having that view from the Hangover all to myself...

We're supposed to be heading over to Slickrock Creek tomorrow but the weather is looking pretty unpleasant so we'll likely push it back to next weekend.