Banff, Jasper, Yoho, and Kootenay NP's

HomerJ

After reading @Ben's awesome backpacking reports to Yoho and Jasper National Parks, I thought I should throw up some photos from a trip I made back in 2008 to those two parks and Banff and Kootenay NP's!

We spent a few nights in Jasper and I think four nights in Banff, but visited all four of the parks. Our favorite park was Jasper! It's a lot like Banff, but with a lot less crowds! Anyway, here are some photos (OK, lots of photos).

JASPER NP
Tangle Falls
IMG_2665 - Jasper - Tangle Falls.jpg

Sunwapta Falls
IMG_2713 - Jasper - Sunwapta Falls.jpg

Near Athabasca Falls
IMG_2755 - Jasper - Athabasca Falls.jpg

Maligne Canyon
IMG_2846 - Maligne Canyon.jpg
Maligne Canyon
IMG_2852 - Maligne Canyon.jpg

Maligne Canyon
IMG_2868 - Maligne Canyon.jpg

Maligne Canyon Momma bear and Cub
IMG_2880 - Maligne Canyon - Black Bear and Cub.jpg
Maligne Canyon
IMG_2885 - Maligne Canyon.jpg

Patricia Lake - We stayed at some cabins on this lake
IMG_2894 - Jasper - Patricia Lake_stitch.jpg

Athabasca River near Jasper
IMG_2917 - Jasper.jpg

Another Black Bear!
IMG_2929 - Jasper - Black Bear.jpg

Columbia Ice Fields
IMG_2941 - Jasper.jpg

Beauty Creek - This was the highlight of our trip. We missed the trail head (no sign) and almost didn't turn around and go back. We were sure glad we did! Lots of small waterfalls and not a soul around!!!
IMG_2993 - Jasper - Beauty Creek.jpg

Beauty Creek
IMG_3004 - Jasper - Beauty Creek.jpg

Beauty Creek
IMG_3008 - Jasper - Beauty Creek.jpg

BANFF

Big Black Bear! IMG_2639 - Banff - Black Bear.jpg
Bridal Veil Falls
IMG_2661 - Banff - Bridal Veil Falls.jpg

Momma bear and two cubs climbing tree. Unfortunately this was the best photo I got.
IMG_3061 - Banff - Black Bear and Cubs.jpg

On the other side of the road from the bears the creek disappeared into a slot canyon
IMG_3086 - Banff.jpg

Johnson Canyon - one of the most popular hikes in Banff
IMG_3121 - Jonston Canyon.jpg

The Famous Lake Louise - Ice was just breaking up the end of May
IMG_3135 - Banff - Lake Louise.jpg

Cool small water fall near Banff
IMG_3211b - Banff.jpg

Above the town of Banff - we took the gondola to the top of the mountain
IMG_3215 - Banff.jpg

Above the town of Banff
IMG_3239 - Banff.jpg

Above the town of Banff
IMG_3240 - Banff.jpg

Lake Minnewanka
IMG_3273 - Banff - Lake Minnewanka.jpg

Two Jack Lake
IMG_3293 - Banff - Two Jack Lake.jpg

Cascade Ponds
IMG_3300 - Banff -  Cascade Ponds.jpg

YOHO

IMG_3161 - Yoho.jpg

Emerald Lake - My favorite photo of the trip!
IMG_3191 - Yoho - Emerald Lake-Edit.jpg

Wapta Falls
IMG_3202 - Yoho - Wapta.jpg

Another view of Wapta Falls
IMG_3204 - Yoho - Wapta.jpg

Kootenay

Marble Canyon - very cool canyon, but a forest fire had burned the areaIMG_3307 - Kootenay - Marble Canyon.jpg
Marble Canyon
IMG_3341 - Kootenay - Marble Canyon.jpg

Kicking Horse River
IMG_3372 - Kootenay.jpg

Big Horn Sheep near Golden
IMG_3384 - Kootenay - Big Horn Sheep.jpg

yeah, what ^he^ said!! Great photos!!

It looks like your shots here are mostly day-hikable / frontcountry spots. Did you get into the backcountry much?

I'd love to spend 2-3 months of solid non-stop backpacking through there (if the weather were good - ha!) +Robson, Willmore, Assiniboine, Lougheed, etc. The GDT is probably my highest priority if I ever thru-hike a long trail...

yeah, what ^he^ said!! Great photos!!

It looks like your shots here are mostly day-hikable / frontcountry spots. Did you get into the backcountry much?

I'd love to spend 2-3 months of solid non-stop backpacking through there (if the weather were good - ha!) +Robson, Willmore, Assiniboine, Lougheed, etc. The GDT is probably my highest priority if I ever thru-hike a long trail...

No, I was tagging along with my parents. My dad had meetings in Banff. They invited me to go along and so we went up early and went to Jasper for a few nights and then back down to Banff. My parents don't do long hikes so ya, it's all day hikes. That's why it was so fun to read/see @Ben's post as it offered a totally different view that what I had seen!

I'd love to go back and backpack or do some long day hikes!

these pictures are so good it makes me not want to post my reports from Banff and Kootenay : )

Wow! Awesome pictures. This is on my list of places to see in my lifetime. Thanks for the report.

Holy crap! Not sure how I missed this. I need to go to Banff! The actual Banff, not just the film festival. Beautiful photos @HomerJ.

Love that area. I need to get back there so bad. I have only been to Banff! Your report makes me want to get back NOW