Uintas Conditions 2018

Nick

Post 'em if you got 'em!
Trip Reports
Good to know. Thanks.

Also, is a 30° quilt going to be suitable? Not that it matters as it is currently the only one I have...just want to know which puffy to bring
That is definitely a personal question and depends on so many other factors like your pad, what you wear to bed and how hot/cold you generally run. It'll be warm but it'll also be cold and wet at times. Plan accordingly. Layers are good.

Trip Reports
That is definitely a personal question and depends on so many other factors like your pad, what you wear to bed and how hot/cold you generally run. It'll be warm but it'll also be cold and wet at times. Plan accordingly. Layers are good.
Yeah I know that. I usually take a 10° bag/quilt for any alpine trips but on the Collegiate East at the end of June I was too hot at 11,000ft with that bag. I'm just trying to gauge a comparison.

Nick

Post 'em if you got 'em!
Trip Reports
The Uintas are cold and wet nearly every single day in July and August because of the summer monsoon pattern. Go for the warmer stuff.

Trip Reports
We did the Highline from July 5-9th. Things were pretty dry for early July, particularly on the east end but it got better as we went west. Mosquitoes got worse as we went west as well but only a few short times where they were pretty bad. Wildflowers were going off like crazy, especially up high near the passes. The bad snow year meant we were able to make it over Dead Horse Pass on July 8th, but it was really close and quite sketchy. A couple of snow crossings and much of the trail was eroded out and basically non-existent. It was very interesting. Here's @Dave on Dead Horse.

View attachment 66270
Did you see goat beds and fur on the pass right after this shot on the trail or near it? I have every time I have been over Dead Horse.

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
Trip Reports
Thread starter #126
Did you see goat beds and fur on the pass right after this shot on the trail or near it? I have every time I have been over Dead Horse.
I didn’t see fur there and I was looking, but I saw tufts coming down from Red Knob Pass.

Trip Reports
I spent a few day around Jewel, Cutthroat and Kamas Lakes, fishing and spending time with dad and brothers. Saw a herd of goats on the cliffs between Jewel and Cutt! Bugs were pretty terrible everywhere! The wild flowers are amazing right now. I haven't seen such a proliferation in years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk