To Do in 2021

Nothing overly ambitious compared to a lot of stuff I see on here.

March - A couple days exploring the Escalante area, hopefully weather will cooperate better than the first visit in March of 2019. First Escalante Trip

May - Return to Escalante area with some family to introduce them to Canyon Country.

August - Camping in Yellowstone or backpacking in the Uintas.

October - Hopefully visit Yellowstone again.

Miscellaneous -

- At least 5 nights in a tent or our casita

- Visit the Newfoundland Mountains in Western Utah from the north.

- A minimum of 5 snowshoeing/winter hiking trips, or if we get cross country skis that will be included

- Catch a cutthroat with the fly rod. I seem to only be able to catch rainbows and browns.

- standard SE Appalachians stuff for spring and early summer (with and without kids)
- early/mid July - family trip to Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Badlands,...
- Late July/Early August, I'm thinking of driving to the Winds and doing a couple back to back 7-9 day trips

I took a leave of absence for the fall semester and I'm not coaching soccer for the first time in 7 years so ...
- Hoping for a September Sierra trip
- Some non-standard (for me) fall and early winter Appalachians stuff
- Maybe some longer road trips (8ish hours driving vs 4ish) in the fall to different backpacking stuff that is normally out of reach given my teaching schedule

Even with crappy Covid, I got 31 bag nights. Hopefully 2021 will be more than that (already have 5 car camping nights)

To do in 2021:
Whatever I darn well please!

Would like to go back to the Maze. Lost 3 days last year due to blood sugar issues and had to leave the canyon.

Probably coyote gulch upstream past Steven's Arch.

Rent a houseboat, take the kayak and explore as many little canyons as possible.

More rockhounding

Overnight at Reflection Canyon if water is low enough to see the ridge.

I think I've finally got my summer/fall schedule down. Keep your fingers crossed for me. :)

- On my 57th birthday in July, I'm going to take the day off from work and attempt to summit Lone Peak. It will have been nine years since my last summit of Lone Peak.

- Late July, a six day backpacking trip into the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness.

- August, a five or six day backpacking trip in Yellowstone. Most likely a lollipop loop up the Snake River along the South Boundary Trail.

- September, the possibility of a three day backpacking trip along Gneiss Creek in Yellowstone. Also, a second four day Yellowstone backpacking trip to the upper Bechler River in order to search for the North Pitchstone Plateau Trail and explore the upper Ouzel Creek Drainage. After this trip, a one day, day hike loop through Hayden Valley, up Trout Creek to look for an old snowshoe cabin, and back down Alum Creek and the Mary Mountain Trail, and exploring Crater Hills before calling it a day.

- October, Pacific Creek in the Teton Wilderness, with the goal of finally making it to Moss Lake.

Last edited:
It's shaping up to be a pretty exciting year here - hopefully this year's plans are a little more reliable than last year's. (Not that I can complain - 2020 was a good year, but it certainly didn't go as planned.)

We had to cancel our family Alaska trip last year, so we're gonna spend a little extra time this year. Mostly fishing and family hikes, but I'm hoping I can sneak away for a few nights in the backcountry.

Our planned family trips:
  • June: A week in Idaho w/ my wife - leaving the kids w/ Grandma
  • July: Two weeks in Alaska - mostly the Kenai Peninsula, but probably getting up to Denali as well
  • June/July: Father/son weekend backpacking trips w/ each of my boys
My longer trips:
  • August: a week in the southern Absarokas with my brother - planning on at least Younts Peak / Wall Mountain, but leaving this one intentionally open-ended
  • September: a week in the Wind River (possibly solo, but a couple "maybes") - planning on a route primarily on the divide north of Gannett Peak
  • October: a long weekend solo in either the Gros Ventre or Teton Wilderness
My skill improvement goals:
  • winter camping - I've been pushing the edges of the "shoulder season" a bit harder the past couple years, but I'm going to try at least a couple bona fide winter trips starting next weekend; very short trips for the time being
  • glacier travel / mountaineering "best practices" - I don't anticipate serious mountaineering in my future, but I could definitely use some improvement and practice on these skills
  • fishing - I didn't get nearly as much fly fishing in last year as I'd hoped, but I'm hoping to find/make more opportunities in 2021
I'm also hoping I can use some of my shorter weekend trips to help areas affected by the fires this year in CO - both the Cameron Peak and East Troublesome fires hit some of my most frequented areas and it'd be nice to give back a little to these areas that have given so much to me.

Last edited:
It's shaping up to be a pretty exciting year here - hopefully this year's plans are a little more reliable than last year's. (Not that I can complain - 2020 was a good year, but it certainly didn't go as planned.)

We had to cancel our family Alaska trip last year, so we're gonna spend a little extra time this year. Mostly fishing and family hikes, but I'm hoping I can sneak away for a few nights in the backcountry.

Our planned family trips:
  • June: A week in Idaho w/ my wife - leaving the kids w/ Grandma
  • July: Two weeks in Alaska - mostly the Kenai Peninsula, but probably getting up to Denali as well
  • June/July: Father/son weekend backpacking trips w/ each of my boys
My longer trips:
  • August: a week in the southern Absarokas with my brother - planning on at least Younts Peak / Wall Mountain, but leaving this one intentionally open-ended
  • September: a week in the Wind River (possibly solo, but a couple "maybes") - planning on a route primarily on the divide north of Gannett Peak
  • October: a long weekend solo in either the Gros Ventre or Teton Wilderness
My skill improvement goals:
  • winter camping - I've been pushing the edges of the "shoulder season" a bit harder the past couple years, but I'm going to try at least a couple bona fide winter trips starting next weekend; very short trips for the time being
  • glacier travel / mountaineering "best practices" - I don't anticipate serious mountaineering in my future, but I could definitely use some improvement and practice on these skills
  • fishing - I didn't get nearly as much fly fishing in last year as I'd hoped, but I'm hoping to find/make more opportunities in 2021
I'm also hoping I can use some of my shorter weekend trips to help areas affected by the fires this year in CO - both the Cameron Peak and East Troublesome fires hit some of my most frequented areas and it'd be nice to give back a little to these areas that have given so much to me.
I love the skill improvement goals. Great idea!

Hoping to make it to our grand Yellowstone adventure that was postponed from this year. We'll see how it plays out.

And We do have plans for the southern part of AZ and NM this spring---again, if it pans out.

Otherwise, playing it by ear in these uncertain times,
I'd be interested in hearing about what you're thinking for Yellowstone. I've never been and was also going to go last September, but too much Covid stuff at work threw a wrench in my plans as well.

* Mt. Adams. Thinking of getting into mountaineering.
* Outer Rim Trail - Big Bend.
* Something in the Grand Canyon.
* Part of the High Sierra Route. A buddy of mine got 3/4 of the way through last summer and wants to finish. Gonna tag along.
* Escalante River Trail with my 8 year old.
* White Rim trail with my 8 and 6 year old. My wife has panic attacks at Lagoon so the White Rim is definitely a no go for her.
* Take the fam to Coyote Gulch.

Wish List
* Uinta Highline. It's been on my list for years and something always comes up.
* Mt Wheeler via Highland Trail.
* Death Valley.
Deer Creek/Thunder River loop in GC is fabulous if you haven't done it. You could spend a week along Hole in the Rock Rd...I bet the kids would love the slots.

I'll change my mind a 100 times but hoping for desert travels in April.

Start with following through on a San Rafael Swell backpack I had hoped for last April before the lockdown, one of these:
Virgin Springs-Saddle Horse loop
Calf-Cow Loop
Forks of Red Canyon

Cedar Mesa backpack, such as one of these:
Lower Road (below 7 Kivas)-N Fk Road Loop
Lime Canyon-rim Loop
Slickhorns
Collins to downstream GG
Pine-Step

Loop in some Kanab Creek Wilderness Canyons

Zion summits....getting almost too problematic to bother with finding frontcounty or backcountry camping

Shoot for 90 nights of camping
I'll be watching for your posts. I likely won't be getting away until Fall (and will also adjust plans 100 times) but something around CM/GG is high priority as is Kanab Creek/Snake Gulch. Depending on your route downstream of Collins I did that back in November and was able to locate a route out down below Redman that lets you walk the mesa back and can save a lot of backtracking. Let me know if that helps your planning and I can send you details.

Deer Creek/Thunder River loop in GC is fabulous if you haven't done it. You could spend a week along Hole in the Rock Rd...I bet the kids would love the slots.

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have a date set for taking the family to Hole in the Rock. I'd like to hit those slots. GC might may or may not happen. A buddy of mine talked me into putting in for Mt. Whitney most likely will do that instead if one of us ends up getting a permit.

It's a BCP tradition unlike any other - the To-Do thread for the coming year. Let's hear about your plans for the 2021! One of the very best parts of BCP is the inspiration to get outdoors and make great use of our time. What are all you BCPers up to this coming year?

Previous years:

2014: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2014.2671/
2015: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2015.3896/
2016: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2016.5420/
2017: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2017.6450/
2018: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2018.7301/
2019: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2019.8240/
2020: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2020.9026/

It's a BCP tradition unlike any other - the To-Do thread for the coming year. Let's hear about your plans for the 2021! One of the very best parts of BCP is the inspiration to get outdoors and make great use of our time. What are all you BCPers up to this coming year?

Previous years:

2014: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2014.2671/
2015: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2015.3896/
2016: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2016.5420/
2017: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2017.6450/
2018: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2018.7301/
2019: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2019.8240/
2020: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/to-do-in-2020.9026/
I am going to spend 15 nights in the Wind River Range this August. I think I settled on leaving from Elkhart TH and going XC as much as I can N/E doing Titcomb Basin then over Indian pass and walk on as many glaciers as I can then cross back over the divide and back to Elkhart TH.....any advice would be appreciated (this is my 1st Winds trip).

"Big trips":
-Canyonlands Needles District, plus side trips to Island in the Sky, Capitol Reef, and the Rattlesnake Arches in CO(done).
-Either Collegiate West or a 3rd trip to CO's Weminuche Wilderness.
A 3rd(4th?!?) trip is up for debate:
-Whites in NH with a friend, or a trip to the Sawtooths in ID(or both), as both would be new to me.
-Maybe the Uintas, as my trip year before last got cut short when weather forced me to head for the desert.
Hate having unfinished business...

Little stuff:
-Usual favorites on the Cumberland Plateau in TN and KY.
-More hikes in AL's Sipsey Wilderness(been twice so far, after avoiding the place for a decade).
-Have three 1-2 night hikes in SC and NC planned, if I ever take both my off days.
-Jacks River Trail in GA(2x last year, but haven't actually visited Jacks River Falls).
-Offtrail arch hunting at Big South Fork in TN and KY.
-Kayaking daytrip at Wetumpka, AL, possibly others.
-Cycling on AL's Chief Ladiga and GA's Silver Comet rail trail.
-*Maybe* some tame mountain biking, if it turns out my jacked up spine can take it.
-*Maybe* some solo toproping, also assuming my back doesn't spaz out on a beginner wall.
-I've never actually hiked in FL. Just once, I'd like to camp on the beach(not as simple as it sounds!)

I've never actually hiked in FL. Just once, I'd like to camp on the beach(not as simple as it sounds!)

Everglades NP - Kayak to awesome beach camping or avoid the permits and kayak in 10,000 Islands, both out of Everglades City. December is pretty nice weather. I'm planning on eventually posting a trip report from last December.

My standard reply, to make it to 2022!
A couple of canoe trips, and a tentative trip to explore parts of the John Muir Trail.

Everglades NP - Kayak to awesome beach camping or avoid the permits and kayak in 10,000 Islands, both out of Everglades City. December is pretty nice weather. I'm planning on eventually posting a trip report from last December.
Time and distance limit me to the Panhandle, which is why it's not so simple if I want to legally camp ON the beach.
Last I checked, they'd completely disallowed overnight camping at the few options within a reasonable driving range due to people abusing the sites. The remaining "oceanfront" places are RV campgrounds with $80 and up/night primitive sites next to the RVs(no thanks!), and just in sight of the beach.
Guess I can camp at any state park in the region and go to the beach from there if I get some overwhelming urge to add FL to my list of states hiked in. I'm in Alabama, and my next closest for a first time hike is Indiana...

Time and distance limit me to the Panhandle, which is why it's not so simple if I want to legally camp ON the beach.
Last I checked, they'd completely disallowed overnight camping at the few options within a reasonable driving range due to people abusing the sites. The remaining "oceanfront" places are RV campgrounds with $80 and up/night primitive sites next to the RVs(no thanks!), and just in sight of the beach.
Guess I can camp at any state park in the region and go to the beach from there if I get some overwhelming urge to add FL to my list of states hiked in. I'm in Alabama, and my next closest for a first time hike is Indiana...
It's probably too far south but I remember a barrier island of white sand beach and turquoise waters south of St Pete:

No vehicles, only passenger ferry. Campsites are 200 feet from the beach.

Perhaps Cumberland island National Seashore is closer to you, though Atlantic Coast. Genuine backpacking! Camps beneath gorgeous live oaks.