I could absolutely get behind this. Do you have a sense for what's the right range of weeks for this? I strongly prefer being in the mountains when the mosquitoes are not.
I'll change my mind a 100 times but hoping for desert travels in April.
Start with following through on a San Rafael Swell backpack I had hoped for last April before the lockdown, one of these:
Virgin Springs-Saddle Horse loop
Forks of Red Canyon
Cedar Mesa backpack, such as one of these:
Lower Road (below 7 Kivas)-N Fk Road Loop
Lime Canyon-rim Loop
Collins to downstream GG
Loop in some Kanab Creek Wilderness Canyons
Zion summits....getting almost too problematic to bother with finding frontcounty or backcountry camping
Shoot for 90 nights of camping
Agree about Zion, we've essentially stopped going there except in the dead of winter.
A buddy and I did the Virgin Springs/Saddle Horse as a 2-night backpack in fall 2019 and it was wonderful, it's one that I'd repeat for sure. If you don't mind carrying water and conditions are good, spending a night up at the top of Swazy would be fun. We didn't see evidence of people camping up there, so a real light touch would be good.
If I can't manage to make it further afield, will probably do the Cottonwood Wash/Spring/Nates loop in the swell this spring.
I've walked from the end of the Mexican Mtn road up and out of the south fork of Spring Canyon, and would be happy to answer questions about that part. When doing the full loop I'll likely want to start at the Cottonwood Wash parking since I've now walked the closed part of the Mexican Mtn road a bunch of times and do not enjoy it that much.
- After a bit of a hiatus, I'm going to start making and sharing content from my trips again.
- I'm going to spend quite a bit of time building out my new truck/camper rig which will involve trips to Oklahoma and Oregon to get various things installed. Not that stoked about Tulsa, but hoping to make a nice trip out of the tray install in Portland this spring.
- Rafting Gates of Lodore in Dinosaur NP in May
- Three weeks rafting the Grand Canyon in July
- More exploration of the west desert and eastern Nevada. I have three specific locations high on my list but I won't out them just yet.
- A long trip to southern AZ/CA around Christmas and New Years. Maybe even down into Mexico???
- Lots of shorter trips with the new camper
I don't know where to post this...haha but my PCTA permit has been approved! I still remember when I joined this site a few years ago and started with all my questions. This site has helped me so much and I am so grateful to all your input and encouragement! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View attachment 95870