The "good morning" thread

Good evening! uh, wait....

Just back from the second viewing in three days of the The Martian. I love the inspiration, the pumping up of math, science and technology, the value and values of NASA and of international cooperation and the inspiration to keep on exploring. I've only rated about 10 movies 5 stars out of the hundreds and hundreds I've watched. This one gets 5 stars (but I took off .5 because they were a little too loosy-goosey with the physics). Go see it.

G'night.

Last edited:
That's one hell of an endorsement, Art. It's been at least a few years since I went to a theater. Sounds like I should make an exception for this one.

Is Eddie Murphy in it?
No, but my favorite actor in the movie is Danny Glover. He plays Richard Purnell and he is a steely-eyed missile man! My favorite tool/remedy also plays a prominent role in saving the day - duct tape.

@Ben , are you heading down to Cedar Mesa or straight to the Grand Canyon?

They ordered the wrong alternator, so I had to stay an extra day. Suppose to have the right one here by noon, and get it fixed this afternoon.

they were a little too loosy-goosey with the physics).

I'm glad someone else holds a high standard for physics in semi-realistic sci-fi films. Did you study or do you work in a scientific field?

I'm glad someone else holds a high standard for physics in semi-realistic sci-fi films. Did you study or do you work in a scientific field?
I am an engineer and worked for much of my career doing these things: robotics, HeNe lasers, fiber optic devices, plasma cleaning, thin film deposition, gyroscope and accelerometer design and build, etc. Applied science and engineering You?

I am an engineer and worked for much of my career doing these things: robotics, HeNe lasers, fiber optic devices, plasma cleaning, thin film deposition, gyroscope and accelerometer design and build, etc. Applied science and engineering You?

That's an impressive list! Really interesting, all of it. Was your work on gyroscopes and accelerometers before their use took off in all of the portable devices everyone has now? Those things are awesome (meaning accelerometers and gyroscopes. I guess cell phones and fitness trackers are alright as well). I'm still in college right now, and I've got a year left on my chemistry undergraduate degree, so I've just barely scratched the surface.