Survivorman in Utah

No offense at all Artemus. It just seemed like you had a real personal dislike for him the way you said it, hence the curiosity why. He is a pretty widely respected figure, unlike the other guy. Disliking the medium is not hard to understand.

No offense at all Artemus. It just seemed like you had a real personal dislike for him the way you said it, hence the curiosity why. He is a pretty widely respected figure, unlike the other guy. Disliking the medium is not hard to understand.

:twothumbs: It's all good. One thing to know.. my TV time is measured in minutes per week and I have to limit it to NOVA, Dexter and Downton Abbey... The important stuff.

Maybe I'm naive, but... I have always thought of him as the *real* adventure guy (as much as this is possible within the confines of tv.) So... I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and bet, er hope, he started down on Ticaboo for 2 days and the footage was bad for some reason so they "re-created" the experience up by the highway as quickly/easily as possible. If not... damn him!
- JG

You are a trusting soul my friend. And you COME from TV :whistle: YOU are the SurvivorPerson AFAIK!

I'm willing to bet a fresh drawn frosty beverage of your choice that you either get total silence, or total double speak-politico-meaningless-professionally courteously suggestive of pissing up a rope type of response.

I'll be shocked if there is even a hint of forthrightness. I've been shocked before though!

No matter what, I'm very impressed with you guys geo-sleuthing skills. I mean it - VERY impressed!

Highly unlikely there are any ways to get down into the Smith Fork slot over there and I'm sure they knew that.

That obviously, totally depends on precisely where "over there" is, of course. But there's an easy ingress into Smith Forth that I have used not more than one mile from where you guys have the chopper landing. It's on the west side though.

- DAA

That obviously, totally depends on precisely where "over there" is, of course. But there's an easy ingress into Smith Forth that I have used not more than one mile from where you guys have the chopper landing. It's on the west side though.
Yeah, I've dropped down into Smith Fork near there on the other side, also. I've also climbed out of Smith Fork further down on the east side, so it can be done.

I also climbed out of Smith Fork way further down on the west side...I think it almost killed my wife, but we did get out!

The more I think about it, the more I think there will be an acceptable explanation.

I mean, if you go to the trouble of spending five days in the respectably remote Ticaboo Creek, why would you risk your credibility and even go to the trouble of spending two days in a different location at the un-remote Milk Creek?

Conversely, if you don't care about your credibility and you can get away with doing the show right next to the road at Milk Creek, then why would you go to the trouble of moving out to the remote Ticaboo Creek for the bulk of the show?

It's not about water...there was snow all around him at Milk Creek, and a short half-day jaunt down the non-technical Swett Canyon would have dumped him into the very wet Lake Powell.

And I'm hoping he'll want to explain that good reason :)

I'll also be shocked if we get any kind of meaningful response. I imagine it's a particularly bad time to get someone's attention with the new season of Survivorman having just launched.

I went through and rewatched the first half last night now that I know where camp 1 is and there is quite a bit more damning evidence about how badly faked that first couple of nights was. For example, I'm quite sure the shots he took of not being able to get to the creek were shot directly out in front of his shelter tree and that there were actually plenty of good accesses down. I also suspect that he did get down and even crossed over to the other side to take some shots of his camp bench. Hell, I'll share that shot now. This had to have been shot from the other side of Milk Creek from near the flat ridge and dome and the lighting matches the timing in the show that he was complaining about not being able to reach the canyon floor for water. His camp tree is visible in the distance in the middle of the bench. The largest one.

campbench.jpg

Sat view of the same bench. Perfect match.
Screen Shot 2014-01-08 at 10.10.32 AM.png

Reactions: DAA
If the producers don't respond, then compile your evidence in a single article and post it for all the world to see. A properly publicized account of fraud on the part off a well-regarded TV survivalist would probably prompt a better response than a polite request.

I imagine it's a particularly bad time to get someone's attention with the new season of Survivorman having just launched.

Meaningful response notwithstanding, I just about guarantee that you WILL get someone's full attention. Unless the production is peopled entirely with dimwits.

I wasn't paying any attention, could not have cared less, but still couldn't avoid hearing a LOT about it when someone documented Bear Poop (I just stole that from above...) dining with the crew in Moab when he was supposed to be "surviving" somewhere. Social media hasn't exactly shrunk in scope or influence since then.

I think if they've got anyone with half a brain monitoring incoming email and social media, and they likely do, several somebodies are actually going to have a meeting about this. Doesn't mean you'll get a "meaningful" response, still. But, truly, unless they are just really arrogant or really stupid, it's going to get some attention.

But if you REALLY want to make for a blow torch up the anus style meeting for someone in the Stroud production camp, get this thing some legs on Twitter. I despise Twitter. Will NOT use it, at all. But for social media marketing types, it's the Holy Land. I bet it would be pretty esay to get this story "trending". Next thing you know, you'll be reading about your own investigation all over the 'net. Tempest in tea pots with documented dirt on the hero are what the twitterati live for.

- DAA

If the producers don't respond, then compile your evidence in a single article and post it for all the world to see. A properly publicized account of fraud on the part off a well-regarded TV survivalist would probably prompt a better response than a polite request.

For sure. I actually told them that was the plan so we wanted to make sure we had the full story before it gets out to a broader audience.

It could also bring more web traffic, sponsors etc to BCP.

i've talked some this year to my friend Matt Graham who has his own survival show coming out this year about the process he had to go through in terms of production. the producers definitely have a great say in the 'drama' levels and reactions that the stars have and express and always want something more interesting and actually ask them to make things look more difficult than their actual skills make the tasks in reality in order to create more excitement.
i'll have to ask matt what the name of his show is and let you all know so we can critique it as well when it comes out. lol
also of note, i don't know if any of you happened to watch any of the CW show Capture this last year, but one of my best friends, Kirsten, who is an instructor at the Boulder Outdoor Survival School was on that show.(we had a lengthy discussion about whether or not it was a good idea to do the show when she was making the decision as neither of us are big fans of reality tv. she ended up deciding that any sort of influence she can have in terms of positive representations of survival skills and interpersonal dynamics was worth the risk of editing and dramatic production and she ended up having quite an experience. it was also very interesting to get to hear her side of the actual events on the show vs. the way it was edited and presented, which was far from the truth in many instances).

OR... a re-creation of the first 2 nights shot for shot (maybe even split-screen for comparison). Then CUT to...

"What's that noise? A mountain lion? An evil Indian spirit?"... pan over to the major highway and a big rig passing... CONTINUE PAN to...

RV with a bunch of people having a party parked beside the road.

:)

- Jamal

I will now watch this episode if I can find it - primarily to find out what this place I missed in Utah is like to decide whether I should visit.
So, any advice where I can get the episode to watch?