recreation.gov frustrations

steve

I'm not new to technology, but for the life of me, I always seem to screw up my NP backcountry permits. I got my maze district permits this year with zero issues, so I'm getting better, but Yosemite is another story.

In March I go to recreation.gov and put in for the lottery for the half dome cables. A few weeks later, i get a confirmation email stating that one of my 6 lottery applications was accepted. There are zero instructions on it, zero verbiage about me needing re-confirm these dates, nothing. It's a confirmation for one of my desired dates. It states the dates accepted, fees paid, and zero balance due. So I assume I will get the permit in the mail, just like when I reserved a permit at the Maze. WRONG.

Today I get an email that I didn't confirm my application in time. First off, when you make the lottery application, you confirm that you are available those dates, and that you'll pay the fee and stick to your reservation if granted. Yes, the recreation.gov website states that you have to confirm before the deadline (yesterday), and I read that when I applied. However, with all the applications I've made, I can't remember which sites have which rules. I guess I just assumed that since I got a confirmation email, it would either give me instructions on what I needed to do next (like confirming my reservation), or it would tell me I'm done (which I assumed).

I've been on the phone with recreation.gov for over an hour, and it doesn't seem there's anything they can do. I can drive to California, stand in line 2 days before my trip and hope I'm lucky enough to get a walk-in permit and not waste my vacation days for nothing, or I can try the same process online (though I don't have much confidence doing anything on recreation.gov).

Has anyone ever had any luck getting a CS rep to make exceptions? They say it's an automated system and they can't manually register me for that date. But when they look up my permit number, it shows me, the permit I wanted, and it just says I didn't confirm in time (which I didn't). Is there any silver lining here? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I'd try the Yosemite visitor center/ranger station directly.

Had a different, but similarly screwed up experience getting my Salt Creek permit this year. The system crashed. I ended up on the phone not with one of the .gov breath drones at recreation.gov but a ranger at the Needles Visitor center. He told me everything was all jacked up with the online system and in just the opposite of what they told you, he told me he was going to go through and do everything manually.

Anyway... May be a waste of time, but I think if you get the right ranger at the actual permit issuing site at Yosemite, there is at least a chance that person can just go ahead and stamp your wrist.

- DAA

awesome, I'll give that a shot. I called them earlier and their guys are in training for 2 days, but I'm determined to get this.

This sounds like user error to me! :rolleyes:

But really, I haven't had any issues. I have actually wished more stuff was done through recreation.gov or the online systems like Zion has. Sorry it hasn't worked out for you. That sucks.

Yeah, it's my fault, and most of my frustration is with myself. I just wish the confirmation email gave some hint that although my date was "confirmed", it wasn't "reserved." It sure would have been nice if there were instructions at the bottom of the email saying "you have until May 20th to confirm this time slot", or at least say "action still require."

I didn't know there was more action required on my part. I just assumed "confirmed" meant I had the date and I was done (after all, I already paid and clicked the button committing to those time slots). I assumed it was going to be just like when I got my Maze permits. Now I know I should have gone back to the website and re-read through all the requirements and noticed that I had until May 20th to confirm.

Last edited:
I was being totally sarcastic about user error. They should definitely have made that way more clear. I would have made the same mistake.

Wow, I remember winning Half Dome permits last year & it was very straight forward... They even sent several reminder emails before the expiration date.

Interesting, that's really helpful. I never received those emails.

I must have missed/deleted/spam a few emails (highly unlikely for me). I don't have any other emails beside the confirmation and rejection emails.

Last edited:
I can't believe it. I hiked it as a teen and I can't wait to get back.