Lake Mead Natl Recreation Area North Shore scramble fun. Nov. 28-30, 2019

John Morrow

Three days of walking and scrambling, beginning with a short day on the 28th in advance of a strong wet cold front. Well, almost advance, I ended up getting caught in heavy hail and rain and lightning on the top of Black Mesa. Vertical ground strike over Lake Mead sent me running! Short hike from the Callville Bay Road. Camped at Callville Bay, puddles formed deep outside the tent through the night.

Black Mesa in the T-storm
by John Morrow, on Flickr

Muddy Mountains storm

On the 29th I was low energy through the gusty blasts of wind so I opted for a couple road side jaunts. Surprisingly, the scrambling was quite excellent.

Echo Hills, SW spur of the SE Ridge made for a fun Class 3 scramble, descending the center of the south side.

SW Ridge of SE Ridge Echo Hills HP

View East to Gold Butte

Bitter Ridge NW

Then I was back into the car to another pull out of the North Shore Road to go up fun limestone slabs on the north side of Pinto Ridge. I returned via a nice shallow tight canyon to the NE with easy dryfall scrambles and bypasses.

Silvery limestone N Ridge of Pinto Ridge

Sentinel, Pyramid, Saddle

descending Pinto Ridge NE draw

On the 30th I was feeling ready for a longer hike and stitched together a wonderful ridge run loop of a number of peaks along segments of quite enjoyable scrambling up to Class 3. Beginning at the Cottonwood Wash Trailhead it went like this:
North Ridge Jacal-->
East Ridge Hamblin-->
North Ridhe West Hamblin-->
South Ridge Hamblin Butte-->
West Ridge Basalt Peak-->
Cottonwood TH

Above Cottonwood Wash

Razorback and Pinto Ridges

Jacal Peak

Raven gurads Hamblin Summit

Headed for West Hamblin Mountain

W. Hamblin great scrambling

Crescent shaped ridge looks fun

solid fine scramble

ran that skyline

Lastly toward Basalt Peak's long West Ridge

Basalt Peak's west ridge

A nice wash finish into Cottonwood Wash

This is a very fun loop. Should be easy to see the route on a map, I could upload one if desired.

Full pics set explains the whole story:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23557848@N03/albums/72157712496067682

Last edited:
Oops, I already did this trip report!!!! No way to delete so I may just edit into something else... I had duplicated Keene Canyon TR so I replaced it with this Lake Mead TR, if you were confused.

Last edited:
Northshore Rd is a great corridor, end to end, to start hikes from. Some very cool narrow drainage's between the roadside rest and East Longwell ridge un895.

pt-1109-015.jpg muddy mountains 004.jpg fire peak 005.JPG fire peak 008.JPG

Muddys are in my top 3 favorite places ever.

@westy, what is un895?
895T on the topo, Artemus. Yeah, Westy, I've been looking to get into those tight canyons toward the Fire summits. Great pics. Looks awesome. From east to west the entire N. Muddy Crest to Monocline Valley looks really neat.
Thanks,
John

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Lake Mead NRA and Sloan Canyon NCA summit and vista hikes. Nov 21-25, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
westy Lake Mead NRA Hiking & Camping 0
dug Lake Mead Bikepacking/Packrafting Everything Else 5
J Sloan Canyon & Lake Mead summits and rock art Nov 26-28, 2016 Hiking & Camping 0
Scott Chandler Lake Mead NRA-Liberty Bell Arch Hiking & Camping 3
J Spirit Mountain Wilderness (Lake Mead NRA) Backpack Nov 17-21, 2015 Backpacking 0
IntrepidXJ Hoover Dam, Lake Mead & Las Vegas Everything Else 3
scatman Grebe Lake - September 4th through the 6th, 2024 Meet Up (Members Only) 10
K How long in Lake Bled? Trip Planning 1
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
Ugly Two Popular Lake Basins in the Cascades Backpacking 12
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
TrektheWorld Red Deer Lake & Beyond Backpacking 10
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 15
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
kwc Limekiln Lake paddle On The Water 0
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman, Crescent, Shelf Lake Backpacking 11
Bob The Thorofare to Brooks Lake - 9 Days in Pictures Backpacking 10
Janice Lizard Head Plateau - overlook Upper Cathedral Lake? Trip Planning 15
uintafly Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Trip Planning 0
DrNed Naturalist Basin: Blue Lake to Shaler Lake? Trip Planning 12
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake Trip Planning 14
kwc Jockeybush Lake- southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
Ross Any Lake Powell experts who can advice on changed conditions at dramatically new lake levels? Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
kwc Round Lake, north central Adirondacks, in the Round Lake Wilderness On The Water 2
Jackson Heart Lake and Snake River for Labor Day Backpacking 23
scatman Pacific Creek, Moss Lake and Gravel Lake - Teton Wilderness - October 7, 2022 Backpacking 32
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
balzaccom Obata Lake...xc in Yosemite Backpacking 0
scatman Grizzly Lake - September 7, 2022 Backpacking 31
P Yellowstone, one night by a lake Backpacking 19
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
P Scatman's Grizzly Lake hike, 2022 Backpacking 28
P Yellowstone--Heart Lake to South Entrance Backpacking 13
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
T How big are the Mirror Lake campgrounds in the Porkies? Trip Planning 6
Georgia Yankee Apostle Islands, Lake Superior (again), June 2022 On The Water 4
kwc Adirondack Hike to Middle Lake Hiking & Camping 0
K Hello from the Salt Lake Valley Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2