Guess the spot

ha, no, you cannot see the lakes. Either of those 2 lakes would've been too much of a giveaway, as they are frequently photographed.

It was a hint, to let you know that this ridge separates two cirques, each with a lake.

Not in Yellowstone (nor in its immediate surroundings).

[In fact, my wife has still never been to Yellowstone!]

Now Langdon, once I saw this photo, knew it wasn't in Yellowstone. I would say somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. You say there are two lakes, then this means it is not Hurricane Ridge in Olympic NP. Since your wife is in the photo, possibly somewhere in Mt. Rainier NP or area.

Now Langdon, once I saw this photo, knew it wasn't in Yellowstone. I would say somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. You say there are two lakes, then this means it is not Hurricane Ridge in Olympic NP. Since your wife is in the photo, possibly somewhere in Mt. Rainier NP or area.

That is a very good guess. Indeed, it IS in the Pacific NW. (I am puzzled, however, as to why my wife's presence would suggest Mt. Rainier / area.... Does my wife look.... volcanic? o_O )

This trail / ridge is -- like Hurricane Ridge -- a 'classic' and I would guess at least 2 dozen members of BCP have hiked in this exact spot.

Now the reason I said Mt. Rainier NP is that your wife is not carrying a backpack so maybe dayhiking and wondered if the mountains in the background were the Tatoosh Range in Mt. Rainier. The other thought was somewhere in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness or another of the wildernesses in the Washington State Cascades. Some of that country like Alpine Lakes have never hiked in. Though have been in Mt. Rainier, North Cascades, and Olympic Parks with the Glacier Peak Wilderness. There is a nice ridge way back in the Glacier Peak Wilds where I have hiked that this kinda is similar but different.

So my guess is ... On the Wonderland Trail near Paradise in Mt. Rainier NP between the lakes - Reflection Lakes and Louise lake. And that is indeed maybe a bit of the Tatoosh Range in the background. And the Wonderland Trail near Paradise is one of those classic trails for the tourists.

Edit: Then to further pinpoint my guess, possibly near Faraway Rock on this trail in Mt. Rainier NP between the Reflection Lakes and Louise Lake.

I will go for this now .. if not, there are several other areas I could guess.

Last edited:
Very well reasoned, @Kmatjhwy - and while that is not the spot, you are fairly close.

It is indeed in the Cascades, somewhere north of Rainier.

This is a dayhike, so not too far from a road / trailhead.

Last edited:
Langdon, it's funny the timing of your picture. Upon close inspection it appears that she was caught standing up after kneeling or laying down to take a picture. On initial glance though, it looked like she was doing lunges on way up the trail, which would make her even more of a badass than she probably already is.

Langdon, Now you say it is north of Mt. Rainier area. Well I have another guess ... have never been in this area but here it is ...

... It is on the Pacific Crest Trail area north of the Snoqualmie Pass Area, guess in the area of the Alpine Lake Wilderness near Alaska Mountain with the lakes nearby being Alaska Lake, Joe Lake, and Edds Lake. Looking at a map this morning, lakes and cirques near a classic trail. And guess quite a few members here have hiked that Pacific Crest Trail.

Last edited:
Those are good guesses, but nope.

Another hint: it is not on the PCT.... but I'm pretty sure this ridge can be seen from the PCT (it's only a few miles away). I wouldn't be surprised if a fair number of PCT hikers take a short diversion off the PCT to include this trail.

Kullaberg, do wonder if you might be right on this Maple Pass Loop after looking at this area online. After some websites and photos, this Mapple Pass Loop, if correct or not, really really looks nice in the North Cascades. I have been in Washington State and the Cascades a number of times and have never never heard of this hike and loop. Again it looks nice if correct or not.

Kullaberg, do wonder if you might be right on this Maple Pass Loop after looking at this area online. After some websites and photos, this Mapple Pass Loop, if correct or not, really really looks nice in the North Cascades. I have been in Washington State and the Cascades a number of times and have never never heard of this hike and loop. Again it looks nice if correct or not.

Yes, it is pretty cool, and also, as Langdon says, quite popular. Nearby schools do field trips here. I used to live 45 min away near Mazama.

But we still do not know if that's actually it!

Now saw some photos online of this Maple Pass Loop and that showed a spot that looks exactly like the spot in Langdon's photo but from a different angle. Betcha you are correct on this! Now as for myself, from the online photos (rather correct spot of not) ... this place looks fabulous and have to go sometime. Now the North Cascades Area is a place that I do want to go back to sometime and wander around for a good while. So you used to live near here. I know several people who live east of here in the Methow Valley.

Maple Pass [+Heather Pass] Loop, it is! My wife is looking toward Ann Lake; Rainy Lake is behind her.

IMHO, this may be the most scenic 8-mile dayhike in the USA. Or at least, in the Top 5. in terms of scenic payoff - to - effort - ratio. (Caveating, as I recall some amazing Glacier NP day hikes....)

@Kullaberg63 , you're up!

Kullaberg, interesting photo you posted. And you say this is Utah and all that granite. I see it is mountainous country but not much snow and the slopes of the mountain behind lightly vegetated with what looks to be pinyon-juniper forest. It is not covered with snow or thick forest. Now last fall I was down in very Southwest Utah staying with some friends outside of St. George. Now saw some of that country to the west of St. George. Now that is interesting country. Now could never - never guess the exact spot, but just am wondering ....

... just possibly out in that country west or northwest of St. George somewheres near the Pine Valley Mountains - Bull Valley Mountains -Beavar Dam Mountains here in the extreme SW corner of the state. If I narrowed this down ... then would say maybe the Bull Valley Mtns. to the north side of the Beaver Dam Mtns. possibly. I know there is a small town in the area called 'Goldstrike' where indeed gold was mined some years ago. And there is some very interesting rock in this corner of the state including 'Granite'. I remember going to Welcome Spring on the south side of the Beaver Dam Mtns. and here there is a place where people go rock climbing. Hard to imagine.

This past fall when I stayed with my friends near St. George, saw some of this country and it is amazing. Here is such variety and wildness. From the high points near 10,000 feet in the Pine Valley Mountains down to the Joshua Trees and the stark desert near Beaver Dam Wash And it is indeed all in Utah. Some years ago went to Welcome Spring then over to Beaver Dam Wash in late April birdwatching. As for myself soooo need to get back down to that area and stay awhile again for it is amazing amazing country!

Reactions: Ben