Guess the spot: Utah Edition

between @desertvic and I, I'm confident we're close. I'll guess east of Sand Creek on Bowington Bench or below McGrath Point. I think @desertvic ought to go next if we're in the right area.

For some reason my walk connecting BMT to the River via Slickrock Saddle and Bowington Road was a really special hike. I typically appreciate solitude, even if I'm not traveling in the "grandest" terrain.

A few more images from this lollipop loop. A further clue is that there's something of interest along those cliffs.IMGP0516 copy 2.jpgIMGP0538 copy 2.jpgIMGP0542 copy 2.jpg

What about the white cliffs just southeast of what is labeled as haymaker bench on Gaia.

Not sure how else to describe that spot. Pretty sure I can see highway 12 in the photo.

What about the white cliffs just southeast of what is labeled as haymaker bench on Gaia.

Not sure how else to describe that spot. Pretty sure I can see highway 12 in the photo.

yes, think you’re right. Last photo, Steve’s wife is walking right by the rattlesnake close to the pictos …..

Last edited:

We have a winner! @priz1234, you are up.
We crossed Haymaker Bench and ascended the north end, then traversed south and down across the white dome, closing the loop along the base, passing the pictos that @Titans mentions along the way.
North end of the dome. We followed the obvious ridge (where the original clue photo was taken) to skyline and then along it.
P1040604 copy 2.jpg
Below, looking SW from the ascent.
IMGP0512 copy 2.jpg
The dome as seen from the SW on another hike. The Copelands (WOW authors) call this "The Glacier" on their list of "secret" guided hikes, many of which can be figured out with a bit of google earth time.
https://www.utahslickrockguides.com
IMGP0670-copy-2.jpg

I may have to go back and explore that area a little more. Right in that same area, almost directly east from those white domes there is a nice view overlooking the confluence of Deer Creek and Boulder Creek.

Next Spot
DSE08325f.jpg

My first thought was Zedd's Meadows as well but I couldn't line up the background scenery in Google Earth. UM Creek was throwing me off because while the scenery lined up, the trees on the hillsides look so much more dense in the photo than in the sat imagery.

Next, name the peak I'm standing on:

IMG_5157.jpg

Haha, yep! I was trying to be clever. :D Your previous spot in UM Creek is visible somewhere in my photo.
haha it was. I almost thought it might be some other peak in that same area as a trick. Nothing else seemed to line up though. It looks like a nice view from up there. I've been meaning to get another trip out there to get up to that peak.

How about another peak. But from the approach to it.

DSC02068-XL.jpg

gonna go with Peale as a WAG since I'm not on a crappy laptop that doesn't do google earth very well

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Guess the Spot: somewhere in Southern Utah General Discussion 4
Outdoor_Fool The value of the various Guess the Spot threads General Discussion 6
wsp_scott NYTimes article: Guess the spot saves someone's life General Discussion 1
JDWalters Guess the Spot: Eastern US Edition General Discussion 515
LarryBoy Guess the Spot: Trip Reports Edition Hiking & Camping 5
balzaccom Guess the Spot--DIY version General Discussion 33
Artemus Guess the Spot: International Edition General Discussion 283
Jammer Guess the Spot (not where you think) General Discussion 10
Backcountry Post Guess the spot: Maps Edition General Discussion 4670
Backcountry Post Guess the spot General Discussion 7683
Perry Can You Guess Where The Uintas Are? General Discussion 5
J Identify the spot Utah: I don't know where it is General Discussion 2
Happyidiot Looking for camping spot close to Denver. General Discussion 2
Jammer Havasu Falls Extra Spot General Discussion 3
Nick Spot X Gear 27
SKLund Sticking with SPOT Gear 0
Ross Unofficial Where’s The Spot General Discussion 0
Perry Good Deal on a Spot Gen 3 Gear 5
Jammer Spot/InReach for May? Trip Planning 7
Bridgette Good camping spot in the Uintas with 4WD Trip Planning 0
jonmessina Spot Tracker Rental? Trip Planning 1
uintahiker The bloodiest spot in Arizona Hiking & Camping 0
Jammer InReach vs Spot Messenger 2013 Gear 32
wnorton Do you use Spot Connect or DeLorme InReach? Gear 6
Nurrgle Good car camping spot in the Uintas General Discussion 9
Nick SPOT Connect Gear 2
SteveR SE Utah Bugs in May? General Discussion 3
B Southern Utah March suggestions? Trip Planning 5
desertvic Howdy from rural Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Ugly Floating Island- Utah Trip Planning 8
Normie Invite Looking for shuttle partner -- two trips in Southern Utah Meet Up (Members Only) 5
BeardoMcGrath Oh look yet another Utah conditions thread: mid May 2023 Trip Planning 9
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
ww.joedirt.do Hello from Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Martyn Hi from Hurricane Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
B Good trips in Southern Utah given current conditions Trip Planning 26
saltybird SE Utah NPs in April Trip Planning 13
C Grand Gulch Cedar Mesa Utah 11 Day Backpack October 2022 Backpacking 10
T Amazing Discovery in Utah-Glen Canyon Trip Planning 65
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
regehr recent Utah meteorite General Discussion 0
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Final Part Backpacking 11
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 5 Backpacking 3
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 4 Backpacking 10
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 3 Backpacking 4
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 2 Backpacking 5
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 1 Backpacking 6
Rudolf_The_Red Hello from BFE, Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
H location of thirteen faces-horse canyon Utah Hiking & Camping 4
TrailScot Dripping Canyon to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa, Utah - March 2022 Hiking & Camping 7