Guess the spot: Utah Edition

A bump and a hint needed? The view looking the other way from the same spot should pretty much give it away:
_1320077-copy-2.jpg

I think many of the guessers are out on summer trips or vacations :)

@SteveR is the San Rafael in view?
I have never been up on top of the Reef there, but it feels like this is north of Black Dragon.

I have never been up on top of the Reef there, but it feels like this is north of Black Dragon.
yeah, that looks like the black box down there. but I've been up on this reef in many spots and the colors aren't matching up for me, perhaps just a camera/screen issue.

yeah, that looks like the black box down there. but I've been up on this reef in many spots and the colors aren't matching up for me, perhaps just a camera/screen issue.
Yes @Ugly, you are up next! This hike started by ascending northwest from the Black Dragon access, topping out at an overlook of the San Rafael river.
@regehr I had a look at the RAW files and yes, the white balance as set in camera is not correct (maybe fooled by the bright but overcast sky), hence the overly red cast. Revised version with Camera Raw setting the white balance.
_1320097-copy-3.jpg

Ok, a slight changeup. These were taken just before a nice trailhead... Name the trailhead.

2024-05691 (1).jpg

2024-05678 (1).jpg

WAG: Joe's
Not so W! A few weeks ago I hiked around the southeast side of Joe's Valley Reservoir hoping to make it to the cliffs on the south side of the dam, but the terrain got too rough and I got cliffed out. But I had already been to those cliffs on an earlier trip via canoe so I probably didn't miss much.

You're up, @regehr!

ok I need this one to go sort of quickly since I'm heading out of town on Friday! what's the peak or else what drainage am I standing in?2023-09-09 13.20.31.jpg

ok I need this one to go sort of quickly since I'm heading out of town on Friday! what's the peak or else what drainage am I standing in?

Haha, I am also trying to get out of town tomorrow... but chances are now 30/70.

This looks like you just came over Red Knob Pass. Maybe it is more bouldery than I remember.
I believe those are the ramparts of Mt Lovenia.

Lovenia is correct! (and we're in upper Lake Fork)

This is not right near the pass but maybe a couple miles over.

Good luck getting away!

This is not right near the pass but maybe a couple miles over.

Good luck getting away!
Thus the bigger boulders than what I remember... but it was years ago anyways.

Well, the percentage split is now 99/1. Taking one of my sons and nephew to hopefully see some of the pre-perseids. They peak Monday.
Uintas bound, somewhere easy and front-country, with a few neighbors, but still better than the heat. I know a few places we should be able to go incognito amongst the hordes.

Let me find something to post.

Maybe this is easy?
Name the place...

If anyone gets it right, after lunch today, go ahead. I am offline until at least Sunday afternoon.

RCM01533-9-2021-210918-4.jpg

Last edited:
Back