Arctic Norway

Arctic Ian

The end of the hiking season has arrived here in Målselv, North Norway. The sun has disappeared below the horizon and won’t appear again until sometime round the beginning of February, the snow has started falling and the temperate has dropped to minus 30 degrees c.
As it’s so cold and dark I thought it would be a good time to take a look at some of this seasons photos and share some of my favourites.

This walk was a short walk up a hill called Skjegefjell 5 mis from home. It’s a short steep walk which in summer takes about 1 and half hours to reach the summit at 450 mts.
This time I used a newly purchased set of snow shoes for the first time and ended up using about 3 hours for the trip.
The day was cold, minus 20 c, but with a combination of being alone on the mountain, the experience of snowshoeing for the first time and the special, constantly changing light it will be a day I shall always remember.

Sunrise over Hattavarre
sunrise.jpg

This time of year the forest is a beautifull place to be
DSC02660.jpg

The days get very short towards the end of the season so it’s best not to go too far from home as the temperature and daylight drop very quickly.

A view of the Hattavarre range
DSC02727.jpg

This photo was taken 1 hour after the one above on the way back down
DSC02551.jpg

Rostakulen catching the last raysDSC02525-Edit.jpg

And finally, the end of a beautifull day

Sunset over takkvattenet
DSC00832.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

I like all of them, but #4 is very cool.

Stunning. I'd love to explore that part of the world.

Beautiful shots! I've been to Estonia and Finland in early January, and I know what you mean about the winter light. It's beautiful and soft, like everything is lit by candlelight. When there is snow it's stunning. My boyfriend would like to visit Norway some day (he is of Scandinavian descent) so we may show up on your doorstep, too. :D

Beautiful shots! I've been to Estonia and Finland in early January, and I know what you mean about the winter light. It's beautiful and soft, like everything is lit by candlelight. When there is snow it's stunning. My boyfriend would like to visit Norway some day (he is of Scandinavian descent) so we may show up on your doorstep, too. :D
That sounds like a good reason to take a holiday over here then and if you need a quide I would be more than happy to help :)

That sounds like a good reason to take a holiday over here then and if you need a quide I would be more than happy to help :)

Cool, thanks! It probably won't be for a while, but your photos have inspired me to go back in the winter. :cool: