Dalton Highway, Fairbanks to the Arctic Ocean

Ben

It's about 500 miles from Fairbanks to Deadhorse at the Prudhoe Bay oil fields. The Dalton Highway makes up the last 414 miles of that. Some sections are paved, but it is primarily a gravel road, often treated with calcium chloride to harden the road surface. Traffic on the highway is primarily semis hauling equipment, and every thing else, to the oil fields, followed by motorcycles, followed by passenger vehicles. Followed by bicycles. The route crosses taiga, then the Brooks Range, then finally arctic tundra. You can't actually drive to the Arctic Ocean. You have to pay $60 to ride a shuttle that runs twice a day. Any way. Here's a smattering of photos from my ride up and down that road.

Some of the fires that Alaska had this summer.
DSCF1596.JPG

DSCF1601.JPG

Coldfoot and a shop at the Yukon River are just about the only two places along the highway to get gas between Fairbanks and Deadhorse. I had to take an extra gas can for the last 240 mile stretch .
DSCF1606.JPG

Dirt road for days.
DSCF1607.JPG

The pipeline. The road here is not actually the highway, just the access road. I walked over here for a closer look.
DSCF1612.JPG

DSCF1615.JPG

The Yukon River.
DSCF1616.JPG

Fireweed grows in areas that have been cleared.
DSCF1619.JPG

DSCF1621.JPG

A little crazy to think that it just runs West like this for several hundred miles, no more roads.
DSCF1625.JPG

Coming into the Brooks Range.
DSCF1628.JPG

Mount Sukapak.
DSCF1632.JPG

DSCF1633.JPG

A little more rain. I believe it rained on me every day that i was in Alaska, except the day i visited Deadhorse, where it was nearly freezing.
DSCF1638.JPG

The Chandalar Shelf, going East into the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Just a few miles South of Atigun Pass on the crest of the Brooks Range. I'm past the northern tree line here.
DSCF1640.JPG

On the North side of Atigun Pass. In the pass there are light arrows that point the direction for small planes to fly when it is cloudy. The road is very rocky through the pass, a small adventure on the motorcycle.
DSCF1641.JPG

Getting late. After eleven pm now.
DSCF1643.JPG

At the free campground at Galbraith Lake. This was one of my favorite places. Check how the license plate is totally covered by the mud from the road.
DSCF1644.JPG

DSCF1654.JPG

I like the mud pattern on my shins.
DSCF1656.JPG

Views from camp.
DSCF1661.JPG

DSCF1662.JPG

DSCF1663.JPG

I'm North of the Arctic Circle. Theoretically the sun doesn't actually set here, it just goes behind the mountains. This picture is taken some where after one am.
DSCF1665.JPG

DSCF1668.JPG

DSCF1671.JPG

DSCF1673.JPG

DSCF1676.JPG

DSCF1677.JPG

DSCF1678.JPG

The next morning. It was appreciably colder on this side of the Brooks. I felt it change as i rode over the pass.
DSCF1683.JPG

Leaving the Brooks.
DSCF1688.JPG

Out on the tundra. Looking back South. In the center you see the Brooks on the horizon.
DSCF1696.JPG

The tallest bushes only grow as high as me here. I got off the bike to warm my hands up. Even with the winter gloves, at 55 mph it was so cold i had to stop to warm up my hands. Twice. Again, this is not the highway, just a service road where i'm walking with my hands balled in my pockets.
DSCF1701.JPG

The Sagavanirktok, or Sag River. Again, the Brooks on the horizon, looking South.
DSCF1704.JPG

The gas station in Deadhorse. I made it.
DSCF1706.JPG

Smack in the middle of July.
DSCF1751.JPG

Looking at the pipes, riding the shuttle to the ocean.
DSCF1709.JPG

The balls hanging off the pipe absorb vibrations.
S0011717.JPG

The ocean. Interesting to think that Russia's that direction. And an ice cap.
003.JPG

S0021719.JPG

I'm still wearing just about every layer i've got. I was freezing.
DSCF1728.JPG

One of the other guys that rode the shuttle went for a dip. He'd just graduated college and driven here from Boston, having dunked his self in the Atlantic and Pacific on the way.
DSCF1734.JPG

Some of the buildings. The bigger ones have hundreds of people working in them.
DSCF1735.JPG

DSCF1736.JPG

DSCF1741.JPG

Arctic geese.
DSCF1746.JPG

DSCF1747.JPG

DSCF1748.JPG

The post office. It adjoins the general store.
DSCF1749.JPG

Riding back South i saw this guy.
DSCF1752.JPG

Some bluffs along the Sag River.
DSCF1755.JPG

DSCF1757.JPG

It's so freaking flat out here. For more than a hundred miles, all the way to the ocean.
DSCF1771.JPG

DSCF1772.JPG

Nearing the Brooks again. The ride wasn't so cold on the way back. About half an hour from Deadhorse i started to warm up.
DSCF1773.JPG

DSCF1777.JPG

Sag River and the Brooks Range.
DSCF1779.JPG

DSCF1781.JPG

Coming back to the mountains.
DSCF1782.JPG

DSCF1784.JPG

DSCF1786.JPG

DSCF1789.JPG

DSCF1791.JPG

DSCF1793.JPG

North side of the Brooks Range.
DSCF1796.JPG

DSCF1797.JPG

Lakes in the tundra.
DSCF1798.JPG

DSCF1800.JPG

After crossing the pass again I stopped before getting to Coldfoot to do a packrafting trip here. Spent a week in Gates of the Arctic National Park. These pictures are from the spot where i left the highway.
DSCF1801.JPG

DSCF1806.JPG

The Dietrich River bar. The gap is Kuyuktuvuk Creek, where i would hike in.
006.JPG

Just one of the many braids of the Dietrich River
DSCF1809.JPG

DSCF1813.JPG

DSCF1815.JPG

It's a good thing it was light enough out that i never needed this.
DSCF1816.JPG

The bike's undercarriage.
DSCF1818.JPG

These are some picture of the Brooks that i took on the way back to where i had left my bike.
DSCF2289.JPG

DSCF2290.JPG

DSCF2291.JPG

DSCF2293.JPG

DSCF2295.JPG

DSCF2297.JPG

DSCF2298.JPG

DSCF2299.JPG

Stopped at the Arctic Circle on the way back down.
DSCF2302.JPG

The night after getting back to my bike i stopped at the 'campground' about five miles North of the Yukon River. It's just a very large gravel circle. But it has tables and fire pits, and a bath room, trash, and potable water. From here i rode back to Fairbanks the next day.
DSCF2312.JPG

DSCF2314.JPG

I loved it.

Last edited:
Can't get enough of learning about this giant epic adventure of yours Ben. Keep these reports coming. They truly inspire me to want to get off my ass and go somewhere far away and wondrous. Thanks.

I used to dream about driving the Dalton Highway when I was in high school. Thanks for sharing this. Awesome report!!

Reactions: Ben
Been on my bucket list.....maybe 2018...

Again, super cool! Again, super jealous.

You're making that adventure itch unbearable!!:frantic:

Thanks for sharing Ben. Love it!

wOOt!

You are a hard man, mister.

Riding from Idyho to the Arctic Ocean on a single piston, little motorcycle with one rear view mirror, one hand guard and your backpack and raft on the back! That is the Ultralight Ethos. I have dreamed this ride my lifelong years. I'll still yet go but on four wheels with central heating. That is a great, great photoblog and I am delighted to be able to ride along in your TR.

I have several questions, I mean a hundred. Stop by soon for a full recounting. Becky wants to hear as well.

When is the packraft TR ?? Wait until you guys hear about this one :)

Let's climb Mount Sukapak!

wOOt!

You are a hard man, mister.

Riding from Idyho to the Arctic Ocean on a single piston, little motorcycle with one rear view mirror, one hand guard and your backpack and raft on the back! That is the Ultralight Ethos. I have dreamed this ride my lifelong years. I'll still yet go but on four wheels with central heating. That is a great, great photoblog and I am delighted to be able to ride along in your TR.

I have several questions, I mean a hundred. Stop by soon for a full recounting. Becky wants to hear as well.

When is the packraft TR ?? Wait until you guys hear about this one :)

Let's climb Mount Sukapak!

yeah, invite me to this too :)

upload_2015-12-13_11-17-26.png

@Artemus . The lighter orange on the right is the ANWR. The black line is the road. Looks like it comes less than a tenth of a mile from the road at Galbraith Lake, on the North Slope. I stayed at the campground on the opposite side of the same lake. You should be able to see the 2km scale at the bottom right of the screen shot.

also, the state trooper in Coldfoot told me you can just walk up a gentle grade to the top of Sukapak from the backside.

I had zero problems with bugs. I had some deet with me, and would use it when necessary, but it was never unreasonable. Number of vehicles is difficult to say. I did not keep a very accurate count while I was riding : ). I did the full 1000 miles pretty much over three day of riding. There was very very very little passenger vehicle traffic. The vast majority was trucks. They'd often come along a couple at a time. They were there, I saw them regularly. But the majority of the time I was riding alone, no other vehicles in sight, just me and the wilderness.

View attachment 37934

@Artemus . The lighter orange on the right is the ANWR. The black line is the road. Looks like it comes less than a tenth of a mile from the road at Galbraith Lake, on the North Slope. I stayed at the campground on the opposite side of the same lake. You should be able to see the 2km scale at the bottom right of the screen shot.
Dang. You could have walked over there and dipped your toe into the Refuge. I want to visit it before they drill it. (Hopefully not, fingers crossed).

also, the state trooper in Coldfoot told me you can just walk up a gentle grade to the top of Sukapak from the backside.
Don't tell everybody that! It will dilute our bragging rights.

We will go the hard way. - That right hand skyline ridge looks like a cool ascent.

I hope you tell your state trooper story when you build the packraft TR....

Wow @Ben , what an adventure! The fireweed is gorgeous. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.