Album Weather, Storms and Clouds

I'm in a quandry. I'm going to be out there in about a month and was planning on hitting several "off the beaten path" routes in east zion and kolob terrace, if accessible. But after seeing some of the recent postings on these two canyons, I'm thinking about taking a day to explore. I know there next to each other and accessible via a loop from beta I've gotten off this and other sites but how much time should I allot for both ? Thinking even further out of the box, if I got there around sunrise, could I catch both and squeeze in edmaiers secret for a sunset photo op or is that too ambitious?

I'm in a quandry. I'm going to be out there in about a month and was planning on hitting several "off the beaten path" routes in east zion and kolob terrace, if accessible. But after seeing some of the recent postings on these two canyons, I'm thinking about taking a day to explore. I know there next to each other and accessible via a loop from beta I've gotten off this and other sites but how much time should I allot for both ? Thinking even further out of the box, if I got there around sunrise, could I catch both and squeeze in edmaiers secret for a sunset photo op or is that too ambitious?

@zionsky The last idea (combining everything) is very ambitious. It depends on what you like to do and how much water is up there. Rick takes a lot of photos and we tend to linger and look everywhere. The two canyons take at least a full day, actually it took us 2 day trips and we have much more exploring to do in the many forks/fingers and slots of the two canyons. Both canyons are mostly white colored, though there is a concentrated area where the color splash is located. (By the way, it's all BLUE CLAY close to the cow corrals, maybe even after the wash that you have to cross with the car. You cannot go near there, if the roads are wet).
We spent another day at Edmairs. That's a couple of miles slog mostly through a sandy wash to get in there, but then you can explore tons of stuff, even get high up on West Clark Bench. It would be easy to spent a day in that area too, if you like to explore cool formations and take lots of photos.

There are a couple spots on the Zion East plateau around the Zion Ponderosa Resort area that give nice little hikes. One is easy 3 miles to Observation Point with not much elevation loss when you get near it. Another puts you within easy reach of Cable Mountain and a few more miles you can go to Deertrap Mountain or even hit the East Rim Trail and have a 5 mile hike down through Echo Canyon and end up at The Weeping Rock area(could even add Hidden Canyon if it's open)

Thanks @Titans I was pretty sure I was being unrealistic about catching both in a day but had to ask. I'll probably pick one of the two and dedicate a day. Is the dirt road beyond the pavement at Well Street a total " no go" if wet or could I make it to south of the wash and hike in? I'll have a jeep rental.

Thanks @Titans I was pretty sure I was being unrealistic about catching both in a day but had to ask. I'll probably pick one of the two and dedicate a day. Is the dirt road beyond the pavement at Well Street a total " no go" if wet or could I make it to south of the wash and hike in? I'll have a jeep rental.

@zionsky - The first few miles in is flat and then it starts sloping down pretty good towards the wash, which means you will be driving uphill on the return, even if you park at the wash. If it's very wet, I wouldn't do it, even in a Jeep and 4WD, see post below. The same goes for Cottonwood Rd close by and also HRVR for Edmairs and more. Here is some more info on driving on wet clay roads: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/driving-on-wet-clay.7693/

Walking in wet blue clay (all around the bottom of the canyon at the cow hole & cow corrals) is very difficult too, it cakes to the shoes, they get heavy. It's different than stepping in mud in the East. We had a lot of trouble getting the blue clay off our shoes.

I will send you a private message with more info and tips for the area later this week, so we don't derail this photo album too much. You might have perfectly dry roads in a month from now! :)

Leaving Upper Calf Creek Monday morning between storms.
This nice thundering mass greeted us and cooled off the climb out.
Escalante Memorial Romp 5-20191005_1.jpg

Boulder Mountain was getting pelted with grapple and snow. On the South side going up, the kids and I pulled over and you could make a snowball from the grapple just by holding out your hands for a little bit.
While pulled off the road to take a pic, lightning struck a tree right across the road from us. Just missed it... This was at the overlook a few minutes later.
Escalante Memorial Romp 5-20191067.jpg

Big snowflakes in Torrey with a lot of soggy visitors.
IMG_7610.jpg

Dancing Virga

i-ppNFFmd-XL.jpg