Uintas Conditions 2018

For those who are curious about conditions on Dead Horse Pass, here is a picture taken from Dead Horse Lake last Saturday (6/16/18). I would wait a week or two before trying it without an ice ax, but the snow is melting rapidly. There was also some significant rockfall going on in the afternoon, just something to be aware of.

Awesome, thanks! I'll be giving it a try later this week. FWIW, there's been significant rockfall going on above Dead Horse every time I've been there.

Do any fishing? I'm hoping to get into Stillwater basin this year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yes I fished BR-17 and Ryder. There were small cutties in BR-17. Small Brookies in Ryder. Biggest I caught was about 12". I heard McPheters has bigger fish. My back was a bit sore on Saturday so I stayed close to camp as I was solo up there. Only thing I regret is not walking up to McPheters. Still had a damn good time!

We did the Highline from July 5-9th. Things were pretty dry for early July, particularly on the east end but it got better as we went west. Mosquitoes got worse as we went west as well but only a few short times where they were pretty bad. Wildflowers were going off like crazy, especially up high near the passes. The bad snow year meant we were able to make it over Dead Horse Pass on July 8th, but it was really close and quite sketchy. A couple of snow crossings and much of the trail was eroded out and basically non-existent. It was very interesting. Here's @Dave on Dead Horse.

DSC03650.jpg

We did the Highline from July 5-9th. Things were pretty dry for early July, particularly on the east end but it got better as we went west. Mosquitoes got worse as we went west as well but only a few short times where they were pretty bad. Wildflowers were going off like crazy, especially up high near the passes. The bad snow year meant we were able to make it over Dead Horse Pass on July 8th, but it was really close and quite sketchy. A couple of snow crossings and much of the trail was eroded out and basically non-existent. It was very interesting. Here's @Dave on Dead Horse.

View attachment 66270
As awesome as @Dave & Dead Horse are,
surely there's more coming than this little tease, yes?

Knee was good?

Yes sir! Losing 100 pounds is also treating me quite well (80 so far this year). :)

Good job man! 8 years ago I peeled off 115. Best thing you can do for yourself, and positive impacts on every aspect of your life.

View attachment 66270

Amazing how nature manages to put the drifts in the most inconvenient places.

As awesome as @Dave & Dead Horse are,
surely there's more coming than this little tease, yes?

Knee was good?

Of course! There will be a full trip report, complete with a video diary I made along the way that might just be weird, but who knows. I think my pace of trips is going to slow down a bit soon but worst case the full TR will happen this fall/winter. I'm way behind on them right now.

The knees were great. In fact my whole body held up better than I could have expected. Up until recently I still had to favor my real knee for descents but on this trip I finally broke through that and can pound out steep drops pretty much equally. The hardest part about the trip was just how fast we did it. 15 mile days are hard at 11k feet when you're crossing 2-3 passes per day. One would be okay, everyday of a 5 day trip is pretty brutal.

15 mile days are hard at 11k feet when you're crossing 2-3 passes per day.
Indeed! Even with good knees.

the full TR will happen this fall/winter.
We will wait with giddy anticipation. By fall / winter I for one will love seeing some
summer mountain shots.

Glad to hear your body was able to deal with it so well.

5 days is a solid pace! Glad to hear you felt ok. How was the wx?

And that's with starting at 2:15 the first day! it was a total of 97 hours from car to car. Weather was pretty good. Rained just a little about every day in the afternoon or evening. The monsoon kicked in harder for the last couple of days. We about got lit up on Red Knob Pass. The lightning actually made my hair raise as I ran off the other side. That storm stuck around for a while so we hunkered down at Dead Horse Lake for a couple hours before getting a window late that afternoon to rush over into Rock Creek.

And that's with starting at 2:15 the first day! it was a total of 97 hours from car to car. Weather was pretty good. Rained just a little about every day in the afternoon or evening. The monsoon kicked in harder for the last couple of days. We about got lit up on Red Knob Pass. The lightning actually made my hair raise as I ran off the other side. That storm stuck around for a while so we hunkered down at Dead Horse Lake for a couple hours before getting a window late that afternoon to rush over into Rock Creek.
Dang son, high adventure on the highline! Which eastern trailhead did you start at?

Worth it to bring a small bottle of 100% deet

Good to know. Thanks.

Also, is a 30° quilt going to be suitable? Not that it matters as it is currently the only one I have...just want to know which puffy to bring